Defensive Carry banner

tuff,sharp and inexpensive

6K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  wingchun 
#1 ·
Last gunshow I bought a Marzitelli Prowler made by crkt. I paid $25 and was shocked at how nice it looks. The workmanship seems great. Opens smooth,locks tight, there's a second locking point, sharp and seems strong. I've been using it at work, camping and evryday carry. It's fairly big but carries small.

For anyone looking for a good knife on the cheap this should be high on the list.

#2 ·
I had not heard of that - it does indeed sound excellent value, assuming it holds a fair edge.

Any chance of a pic? And where did you actually buy it? I have plenty of knives but wouldn't mind seeing if I can spot one sometime.

#5 ·
Try ebay, I found them there for about what I paid. The guy I bought it from said that crkt discontinued it from thier line. Not sure why they'ld do that as it seems to be one of the better knives that thay sell.
It stays sharp for a bit but is easy to get sharp. I cut a fair amount of tuff leather with it and it didn't dull any faster than more expensive knives that I own.

#8 ·
Thanks lowflyer, I have no way to post pics yet.

I've had a couple crkt's also, they've always been nice knives for the money. The workmanship on this knife seems a little better than the others that I've owned. The lock feels strong and it fits my hand nice.

The nice thing is that if I loose it or break it I'm only out $25. I have a mod knife and don't carry it alot out of fear that I'll loose it like so many pocket knives of my past.

#9 ·
I know very little about knives, but I've owned a CRKT Mirage with a 3.5" blade for several years, and I have been very happy with it. Several years ago, I remember an article in Guns or American Handgunner where the CRKT line was rated their equivalent of a "Best Buy." That Prowler is a very good looking knife, BTW.

#10 ·
Ive had, and still have, a host of different tactical folders..from cheap to very expensive. One of the ones I keep going back to carrying is aCRKT Grant Hawk DOG Lock. A great design, easy to pop open, and with probably one of the two or three very best pocket clips on a tac folder. Mine is one of my favorites of all time.

Yep...it must have been before it's time, because CRKT has discontinued them. They are still available out there, and most exclusively on EBAY.

Get one, you will thank me later. In fact, Id love to have a second one.

#12 ·
I've got a Spyderco C41PBK "Native" that cost $44. Extremely sharp, great durability, easily concealed, easily drawn. A bit of a surprise to others when used as a simple "pocket" knife, but it's my go-everywhere unit. Great value, IMO.

#13 ·
I've always liked the benchmades, nice knives.

Here's a side note of all things I never would have expected. I was at the local wally world picking up some cheap winchester white box ammo for the range. While waiting for the holder of the key to unlock the cabinet I noticed the treasures in the knife display. Not sure what the model was but they had a spyderco and it wasn't very pricey. May want to check it out. If I buy another knife my girlfriend may use it on me.

#15 ·
CRKT produces some very good knives for the price. They get the best designers in the industry (Brian Tighe, Pat & Wes Crawford, etc.) and make the price by production methods and the AUS steels they use. For budget line knives they offer a good value.

I've got a small collection of Benchmades now so that's what I carry - haven't lost one yet. Like Wing said, if I bought another knife my wife would kill me with it.
Jack

#17 ·
Opinal knives run about $8.00 for a number 7. 3 1/2 inch blade.
can be modified for 1 hand opening, has twist lock. can be closed 1 handed. They last a long time. I still have my first one, it is over 30 years old. easy to sharpen and maintains an edge for a long time.
While I was still working I would buy them in bulk and give them to fellow employees who would ask to borrow a knife. I always told them to keep it . The most important thing to have in an emergency such as a natural disaster is a good knife that will function for cooking as well as cleaning animals and fish and also can be used in defense. They don't look dangerous when closed. They can be found at William and Sanoma in with the kitchen knives as well as in various knife shops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.