Wisconsin baton laws for CCW?

This is a discussion on Wisconsin baton laws for CCW? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm applying for a CCW permit and I'm wondering the laws regarding expandable batons. I have 2 of them at the moment that I keep ...

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

I'm applying for a CCW permit and I'm wondering the laws regarding expandable batons. I have 2 of them at the moment that I keep at home. Are you able to conceal carry one if you have a permit in Wisconsin? I would much prefer to carry one of my batons than a knife, I believe, with the correct training of course, they are much more effective than a knife and are less likely to result in death should a situation ever occur that I would need to use it.

Thank you

VIP Member
    Here is the site you can check it out for yourself.

Make sure to go over your application several times, make a copy of it and send it priority mail with delivery confirmation

WI Department of Justice - Law Enforcement Services

I already sent in the application (should have made it clearer sorry) in on the 12th so it's too late for priority :/ I did however make a copy of it and had my wife and family members look it over. It says you can have a firearm, taser/stun gun, knife, and a billy club. Is a Billy club classified the same as an expandable baton?

VIP Member
    I was just looking at the site and was going to ask you if the billy club was the same. funny. I don't know either!

From what I just looked up I believe it is classified as a billy club unless anyone tells me otherwise.

VIP Member
    does that mean you don't need a permit for one?

You do need a permit for it. It's like the same as knives under 3 inches without a permit; There is no law against them, but there is no law saying it's legal. So it's really up to the officer if he see's it as a deadly weapon or not, that's without a permit of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I'm applying for a CCW permit and I'm wondering the laws regarding expandable batons.
    Thank you
    Near as I can find Wisconsin only states billy club and does not give any definitive definition as to what constitutes a billy club.

Below is what I found on the DOJ website:

What type of weapons can I carry with a CCW license?

The license is for a ―weapon, which is defined as a handgun, an electric weapon as defined in 941.295(1c)(a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under 941.24, or a billy club. Wis. Stat. 175.60(1)(j).

A handgun does not include a machine gun, a short barreled rifle or a short barreled shotgun. Wis. Stat. 175.60(1)(bm).

The above Statues cites can be found at:
    Wisconsin Statutes Table of Contents

See also WISCONSIN’S NEW CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPON LAW -- QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS -- OCTOBER 20, 2011
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf

More than likely you will need to contact the DOJ for the legal answer. If the baton is allowed be sure to get it writing. Make copies and keep a copy on you when you carry it in case law enforcement give you any heat on carrying it.

Contact the Department of Justice
    WI Department of Justice
    Last edited by Crowman; March 22nd, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Near as I can find Wisconsin only states billy club and does not give any definitive definition as to what constitutes a billy club.

Below is what I found on the DOJ website:

What type of weapons can I carry with a CCW license?

The license is for a ―weapon, which is defined as a handgun, an electric weapon as defined in 941.295(1c)(a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under 941.24, or a billy club. Wis. Stat. 175.60(1)(j).

A handgun does not include a machine gun, a short barreled rifle or a short barreled shotgun. Wis. Stat. 175.60(1)(bm).

The above Statues cites can be found at:
    Wisconsin Statutes Table of Contents

See also WISCONSIN’S NEW CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPON LAW -- QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS -- OCTOBER 20, 2011
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf

More than likely you will need to contact the DOJ for the legal answer. If the baton is allowed be sure to get it writing. Make copies and keep a copy on you when you carry it in case law enforcement give you any heat on carrying it.

Contact the Department of Justice
    WI Department of Justice
    Thank you, I got my permit today and wanted to double check so I called them and left a message, didn't hear back yet but I'll keep you posted.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I called the DOJ and they said they could not answer it for me and to contact my local DA.

I called the DA and they said they could not answer it for me and to contact the local Police Department

The police department transferred me to someone else and he did not answer so I left a message.

Will let you know...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Links