Deadly Force Alternatives......

This is a discussion on Deadly Force Alternatives...... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a fan of hotshotdefense.com i was taught "Never play an ace when a deuce will do"....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Deadly Force Alternatives......

I've been a fan of hotshotdefense.com

i was taught "Never play an ace when a deuce will do".
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Someone here posted a video that illustrated the problem pretty well... and it applies to all of us as we get to be 50 year old guys and beyond... The more options we have the more time we take to decide... Good video on OODA loop and Reaction time.

The problem is, the more options we have, the more time we take to decide between them... and we all know time and distance are our friends. And JD just posted a paper on move and fire vs. stand and fire vs. take cover and fire... now, for my money... I'll spend time looking for cover while deferring... and be prepared to go all the way.
    When I say my toolbox is full, I'm referring mostly to skills & tactics. As far as physical items go, it's pretty much limited to gun(s) spare ammo, small can OC spray & flashlight which can be used as an impact weapon/kubaton. I have a pretty keen understanding of lethal force rules, so it's hopefully unlikely I'll be caught going for the OC spray when I should be going for the gun, and vice versa.

And I'm an ardent supporter of Mike1956's advice of avoidance, de-escalation and not getting in confrontations in the first place. I practice his advice religiously.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Do you know how the gun fell on the ground? and how the magazine came out? It didn't mention much in the article.
    The assailant did the prison yard slap during the pummeling until it fell to the ground. Details here:
    Sheriff's office may be fined over slain deputy's holster (WA state) - THR and here

Local News | Slain deputy had approval for holster, officials insist | Seattle Times Newspaper
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    pepper spray AND something else is always a good bet....I have spray, knives and a 26 inch ASP baton available at all times.
    Two feet, two knees, cowboy boots (yeah, I know), two hands, two elbows, one forehead, a Kershaw and a Glock or two.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I don't carry any alternatives. With my lifestyle and dress it is hard enough to carry. But even if I could I wouldn't. When I walk out the door I feel like going out like a private citizen out to do shopping or enjoy life. I do not feel like doing an inventory of everything. SA has gotten me by so far and I do have H to H skills and in good shape. But that is just me. If somebody feels the need that is cool. That is what it all comes down to. From selection of a firearm and where to wear it. BUG or no BUG. Extra mags. I t is all personal preference and what works with your lifestyle and comfort zone.

Exclamation 790.01 FS & OC quality

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    What percentage is allowed by a CCer %18-%20 ??
    H/D
    (4) It is not a violation of this section for a person to carry for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:
    (a) A self-defense chemical spray.

3)(a) “Concealed weapon” means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.

(b) “Tear gas gun” or “chemical weapon or device” means any weapon of such nature, except a device known as a “self-defense chemical spray.” “Self-defense chemical spray” means a device carried solely for purposes of lawful self-defense that is compact in size, designed to be carried on or about the person, and contains not more than two ounces of chemical.

FYI, the % is not the most important thing to look for. Scoville Heat Units aka SHU is more important. Need a minimum 1.5 million SHU and 2 million or more is better. So 15% of 500,000 SHU is not as effective as 5% of 2 million SHU, the latter being a common formula for both police and corrections. As the percent goes up the effects last longer but does not act any quicker. Companies hawking their ultra high percentages are just preying on the uninformed general public.

OC comes in different delivery modes. There are pros and cons to each.

Mist is effective quicker, highly effective on eyes and lungs, but cross contamination is more likely.

Stream has more range, is less subject to wind, harder to hit the target, and less effective on the lungs.

Splatter is between the above two.

Foam is used in areas where airborn cross contamination is a big no-no, like hospitals or small areas. Hold the button down and paint their face. You must get it directly in the eyes, and the suspect can wipe it off their face and sling it back on you.

But whatever you choose for your situation, get some and carry it.
    Last edited by Paladin3840; March 24th, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spellin'

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The assailant did the prison yard slap during the pummeling until it fell to the ground. Details here:
    Sheriff's office may be fined over slain deputy's holster (WA state) - THR and here

Local News | Slain deputy had approval for holster, officials insist | Seattle Times Newspaper
    Thank you for the links.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links