Glock 81 vs. Gerber LMF II Infantry - Knives

This is a discussion on Glock 81 vs. Gerber LMF II Infantry - Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was due to add a good knife to the bag of goodies. I would say that I am far from a knife collector/follower but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 81 vs. Gerber LMF II Infantry - Knives

I was due to add a good knife to the bag of goodies. I would say that I am far from a knife collector/follower but more of a utilitarian. I just want something solid that I can depend on. This represents an 'out of the box' view on feel, fit, and finish.

In full disclosure, I am a bit of a Glock fan. I really like their pistols, so I figured grabbing a Glock 81 was a no brainer.

Glock 81
    Let's just say that upon opening the box, there was a bit of a let down. The Gerber came in first, and set initial expectations. The Glock felt.... OK.... I can say it..... The Glock felt cheap. While feeling light is good, I don't know that cheap is good. While around 1/2 the cost of the Gerber, it felt every bit of that and maybe more. To top it off, the initial ground on the blade was less than 'Perfection'. There is one spot where they definitely messed up, yet it made it to market. Also, the Glock was covered with a layer of oil. I presume that is to prevent the spring steel blade from potentially rusting should the knife be subjected to long shelf time or adverse conditions prior to sale.

So, if you are looking for a knife, where would the Glock fit? I've seen the videos of the Glock destructive tests on YouTube, so it appears that it will be tough, but it does not feel substantial or have the best feeling in hand. I'll set it to the side, and when I want something light and basic or to pound holes in sheet metal, it will get the call for duty. However, I wouldn't say it would be my 'go to' first choice. Being somewhat of a fan of their pistols, it was just a bit of a let down. Oh, I almost forgot. If I anticipate needing a bottle opener, the Glock has one of those, so it could get the call.

Gerber LMF II Infantry
    Much better fit and feel to the hand. I think the knife should feel natural and have some substance when in hand. The Gerber has much more of this than the Glock. It's roughly twice the cost(I found a great deal on one, so not quite that much), so you should expect something better. The way they set-up the tail of the knife to use has a hammer is a bit goofy. You put it in it's sheath and use the largest flat edge on the tail. I understand why they did it to take advantage of the separation of the tail and blade for shock absorption, but it just seems odd and not quite natural.

I didn't' really talk about the sheath on the Glock as there's not really much to cover there. Just plastic with a clip to secure the knife. I would be concerned overtime with the Glock knife clip breaking, but we will see. The Gerber, on the other hand, has a much better sheath. While plastic, it is connected to a nylon system that will support Molle mounts, belt, or thigh. It has a build in sharpener as well for field sharpening. The Gerber also seems to secure better and remove better than the Glock 81 from its sheath.

So, where does that leave things? While this is not an exhaustive comparison of these type of knifes, and I realize there are other options, between these two, I would spend the money on the Gerber and skip the Glock despite it killing my inner child to say so. Other than being lighter (at the expense of feeling cheap), the Glock doesn't really bring anything to the table other than a bottle opener that the Gerber doesn't cover. When I was looking around, I didn't really see many things that would offer info on how the Glock stacked up to other options. The intent here is to provide some form of comparison to understand where the Glock 81 would fall within the other offerings.

As they see use, I'll provide an update. However, that will take some time before I can gather that additional data.

IIRC the Glock knife was "The" product Gaston got his start with.

Yea, I was surprised with the example I got (and not in a good way). Part of the difference is in design style.

Has anyone compared the Glock 81 to the Ka-bar?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Yea, I was surprised with the example I got (and not in a good way). Part of the difference is in design style.

Has anyone compared the Glock 81 to the Ka-bar?
    MY Soap Box. No comparison. IMHO:
    I grew up on a farm in Missouri where a knife was a tool and used one almost daily.
    I am a self acknowledge Ka-bar addict. I received my first one in 1961 as an issued knife and have had one ever since.

My take: There are several knives that does certain things better then a Ka-bar, but My Ka-bar does everything good enough. It has done everything I have asked of it for the last 50+ years and has never failed me yet.

FWIW I have or have had Bucks, Gerber's, Glock's and a couple of custom made knives costing 20 times or more then my Ka-bar. However I have always gone back to the issued Ka-bar and used it as a. Camp knife, survival knife, truck knife, hunting knife.
    I have one in my wife's and my BOB. Another one that is carried in my Off road vehicle survival kit.

Survival is just another unplanned adventure if you are prepared.

USMC (Ret) Semper Fi

Thanks Beans. I think I will grab a Ka-bar and put the Glock up for sale. It just didn't do it for me as disappointing as that is.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I own many knives, including Gerbers, Ka-Bar and also, the G81. Honestly, for function, the Glock has done everything that I have asked of it, and that has been quite a lot. But so have my other knives. The Glock has stood up to the tasks of all of the others and has held its edge just as well..... All for $29.99.

I'm keeping mine. Like their handguns, this company's products have not let me down.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Ka-bar came today. Here are the three next to each other. Guess we'll put them to use and see how they do. As far as feel in the hand, I would put them: Gerber 1, Ka-bar 2, and Glock 3. Of the three price wise, they came in Ka-bar 1, Gerber 2, and Glock 3.
    Attached Images

Joefriday

Check this link for some Kabar stories.

Combat/survival model.

Administrator
    The GLOCK 81

Is it a good knife? What is it supposed to be GOOD for? Taking out an enemy sentry swiftly & silently? OK. But, as a survival/camp (all 'round utilitarian knife) it would be a slightly worse than terrible design.

The older GERBER MARK knives AKA the MARK I & the MARK II were much better quality but, still extremely limited with regard to versatility of function.

I don't think that any "purpose specific" knives are all that great for survival apps.

The KaBar is a proved design that has many advocates that have used and loved it under extremely trying circumstances. So that's a safe bet though some of the "Ka-Bar clones" truly suck.

The Gerber LMF is a knife that lots of folks seem happy with but, I believe the Gerbers are all made in China these days so some folks won't buy one for that reason.

Let me correct that. Gerber makes some of the same knives BOTH in China & the USA...or at least they did. So if you're "Getting A Great Deal" on a Gerber and it's not stamped Portland, OR..then it's Chinese made.

Personally I think that anybody that doesn't own a BUSSE Combat Knife Company knife of their particular style and preference is really missing out on something.
    Keep in mind though that I DO drink the BUSSE Combat Kool~Aide in a serious bad way.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cool Beans. Sorry, just had to say it that way.. Those folks seem serious about utilitarian knives. Thanks for sharing!

QK... My LMF has Portland, Oregon USA stamped on the blade, so I guess I ended up with one of the local ones. I looked at the BUSSE's. Wow... I could buy another pistol for what the ones I saw run. Those are some high dollar knives.

Administrator
    I don't want to sidetrack your thread. I have about 6 BUSSE knives to date. A few are safe queens like my latest ARGONNE ASSAULT LB.
    The latest basic Team Gemini is actually not too bad at $337. for a BUSSE Combat. Awesome knife.
    I have one on order but, they are not ready to ship out yet.

None of the BUSSE knives are cheap but all have a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee...and even used - you'll always get your money back out of it if you pop it onto Ebay.

There are not too many knives out there that you can actually use "hard" for a few years and then sell list it for sale and get your initial investment back.

OK...Now back onto the Ka-Bars & The Gerbers.

"QK... My LMF has Portland, Oregon USA stamped on the blade, so I guess I ended up with one of the local ones." ~~~>

Administrator
    The Gerber "Bear Grylls" fixed blade survival knife is Made In China & I got the chance to give one of those some pretty rough use (the fixed blade - not the folder) and it held up very well.
    I was actually decently doggone surprised at how well it held up & it kept a decent edge to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There are not too many knives out there that you can actually use "hard" for a few years and then sell list it for sale and get your initial investment back.
    OK...Now back onto the Ka-Bars & The Gerbers.[/I]
    Randall Knives is another one that you can get your investiment back.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    and...then some $$$ on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Randall Knives is another one that you can get your investiment back.

Man, you guys have some 'spensive tastes in knifes. Not that I don't understand the value of hand crafted knives, but I would be afraid to use one. I would want to put it in a case to display.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links