Washington - Legal to carry? - Page 2

Washington - Legal to carry?

This is a discussion on Washington - Legal to carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bzdog Mike, perhaps what you were looking at state law. AFAIK, these laws haven't changed recently. Seattle appears to prefer you defenseless. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Washington - Legal to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Mike, perhaps what you were looking at state law. AFAIK, these laws haven't changed recently.

Seattle appears to prefer you defenseless. Luckily state law protects your firearm rights. Unfortunately, it does not do the same for knives.

-john
    Maybe but seems the State code writing is different. It use to list dangerous knives with 3 1/2 blade length, switchblades ect. Not no mention of length or switchblade. Dunno. But imo blade length shouldn't matter if it's a folder or fixed??? I don't know ***..but I would rather have my guns rights vs knife if I had to choose.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    From how I interpret the RCW, any fixed blade knife is illegal to conceal, but can be carried openly. Any length folder is legal to conceal. Kind of dumb, but those scary/evil looking black rifles... er.. uh... fixed blade knives can't be trusted.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Mike, perhaps what you were looking at state law. AFAIK, these laws haven't changed recently.

Seattle appears to prefer you defenseless. Luckily state law protects your firearm rights. Unfortunately, it does not do the same for knives.

-john

Most "blue" jurisdictions do. It makes it easier for their constituents to make a living.
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Too confusing for this dumb old fart, if I am going to a place I have not been or seems to be a grey area for what I carry I contact them. Talk to head LEO that area get name when talked to tell them you will keep info with there name on your person and that's worked well for me.

About 15 years ago in Seattle I had to defend myself against four guys who jumped me on Lower Queen Anne. I was carrying a 3.75" knife, used it to dissuade further assault without shedding blood, then called the police because they were idiots and needed to get arrested. SPD looked at the knife, measured it, said they were keeping it and to call the evidence room the next day. I also got to take a cruiser ride down to where they pulled said idiots over and got to ID them before they went down to the Graybar Hotel for a free night's hospitality.

I never called the evidence room, not getting stomped was well worth the $27.99 I paid for it, and I never heard anything from SPD.

YMMV.

Posted from my car phone.

I live near Seattle, with it's 3.5" folding blade limit, but I'm often in cities where 3" is the limit. So my carry knives are 3" or less. A Benchmade Mini Griptilian, or an Emerson CQC-14.

Be very careful with blades in Washington. If you are caught with a "dangerous weapon" it can result in loss of your concealed carry rights. Look in the RCW it is mentioned

RCW 9.41.270
    Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm Unlawful carrying or handling Penalty Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Thank god I don't live in Seattle. Heck I am glad I don't live in King county! LOL.....
    Same here Bubba...

Same here!!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links