Any Thoughts on the Buck QuickFire?

This is a discussion on Any Thoughts on the Buck QuickFire? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everybody, I'm new to the forums and am mostly a pistol guy. I've wanted to get pocket knife that was better than the cheap, ...

Thread: Any Thoughts on the Buck QuickFire?

Question Any Thoughts on the Buck QuickFire?

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the forums and am mostly a pistol guy. I've wanted to get pocket knife that was better than the cheap, hardware store brand, folder I had. The lock didn't work half the time and it was sharp for about three weeks.

I sort of stumbled on the Buck QuickFire on Amazon for a great price. It's an assisted opener and sounds like it's made out of a good grade of steal. Like I said, the price was right up my alley (can't spend much more on a knife, right now). Another major plus for me is the lock is on the back (I don't like locks that put my thumb in the way of the blade) and on top of it all: it's made in the USA.

BuckQuickFire.jpg

I think I'm going to like this little folder for a daily carry / utility knife. Anyone have any other thoughts? Did I buy a lemon? Do / have you used it before? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

While I realize the tendency is to regulate price with quality, in the case of Buck, I find that theory lacking. I have carried a Buck 110 for 35 years, and never once has it let me down. I admire the companys dedication to USA made, and their customer service has never let me down. I find that after befriending this blade for so long, one hand opening comes as natural as a flick of the wrist. I dont know much about the exact blade you purchased, but wish you as much luck as I have had with my humble 110.

Well, I've had it in my pocket for a few days now. I'll say it's certainly a $20 knife. It's way better than the one I had before, but not as nice as some others I've seen (which also cost way more).

Pros:
    Opens nice and quick
    I find the pocket clip to be pretty sturdy and it hasn't really cut into my pants
    It's just the right size for me. I can't carry a huge hunk of metal in my pocket... I like slim and trim

Cons:
    The lock switch is a bit stiff -- I hope this resolves itself with use; over time
    The blade did not come real sharp -- don't get me wrong, it'll take off your finger if you use it wrong, but it wasn't real impressive on the "paper test."
    The plastic handle seems a little on the cheap side, but hey, it's a $20 knife, right?

Anyway, overall, I'm happy with it. It's a good little utility knife which I've used for many, many things, already.

Links