Defensive Carry banner

REVIEW: The Hinderer XM-24 Tactical Knife>>>>>>>>>>

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Rolex_John 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Very nice. I've been meaning to take a closer look at one. I have picked up a few more Striders and have an SMF CC coming soon from the guy the Strider DB is named after. He and I have talked quite a bit about the Hinderer and we both feel a Spanto XM-24 is where it's at. He has a 3.5" XM-18 that is nice, but the 24 just seems right. To me, these knives are like a cross between a Strider and a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Just about perfect, but so expensive.

I had to pry a door open with my Strider DB-L the other day (pics in the "Your EDC Knife" thread), so I really appreciate a robust knife. Occasionally I'm limited to a folder and think that the SMF and the XM-24 are pretty much the only two I'd really trust for any use that a knife is not typically used for.

Also, MonkeyEdge has some really nice scales for the Hinderer knives.

#4 ·
I read the review and thought to my self "That's a fine looking knife! I'll have to look into one". Then I saw that joconsiglio said HE was looking at one at which point I knew the price would probably give me a heart attack :)

Reactions: Rock and Glock
#8 ·
Rolex_John: The knife is neat, BUT the ROLEX is the best: I know. I've owned at least three in my younger years and regret having sold every last one of them. BOO HOO!:redface:

#13 ·
Haha. I agree!!! Although, I said the same thing about SOG and Kershaw a few years ago. Then I started to be able to justify the prices of Benchmade's and Spyderco's... Then I start paying $200 for Emerson's. Once you start to appreciate the higher quality, the further and further you go, the less important or "worthless" in your mind so to speak the "lesser" products seem to be. Not to say I think SOG and Kershaw are worthless. I still own a few and use them. I think they're a fantastic knife for the money. But Benchmades and Spyderco's... they're better knives, and cost more. Their cost to quality ratio is still within reason... You get to a certain point where cost to quality ratio starts to become very heavy on one side, and I think that this may be it. Unless I had money to spend and had no useful thing to spend it on, I may consider it... for the shear fact that I'm capable of spending the money on a near $900 knife. I think these are the people this knife geared toward. I'm certain it's quality... but $900 type quality is questionable.

#11 ·
kinda looks like he was holding a spyderco and a stryder when he designed it.Great looking knife though.

#12 ·
Yeah, I'm on the fence about them due to price. I have a Strider SMF CC on the way this week and I can stomach the price (though I didn't have to just yet) due to my needs and how the knife performs.

To me, they're more of a Strider mixed with a Chris Reeve. Chris Reeve knives have very nice finishing, like a custom 1911 while Striders have the tolerances of a Glock.

With the Hinderer, I'd be willing to pay a few bucks more than the Strider due to the finishing, but I don't want to pay extra because they're hard to get and in high demand. Since my knives are all users, I have a hard time paying a "high demand" fee. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably already have had an XM-18 3.5" a few years back.

Now, if I do get one, it'll be the XM-24. I love that Spanto. It has near the strength of a tanto for prying and being able to puncture without breaking the tip, but still has the cutting ability of a spear/drop point. Some day! I'd really like to spend a week or two with one before committing to it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.