Now THAT Is A Dadblamed Sharp Knife !!

This is a discussion on Now THAT Is A Dadblamed Sharp Knife !! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I know that this VID is 14 mins long and it might seem like it's dragging a bit but, this guy gets near 'bout ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Now THAT Is A Dadblamed Sharp Knife !!

Administrator

Thumbs up Now THAT Is A Dadblamed Sharp Knife !!

OK I know that this VID is 14 mins long and it might seem like it's dragging a bit but, this guy gets near 'bout the sharpest doggone polished edge that I've personally ever seen. And...I sure have seen my fair share of shaving sharp knives.

After you watch this VID right up till the end you might just want to build a copy of this guys sharpener.
    Too bad I'm not too swift at commie communication.
    I'd try to get a few specifics as to what exactly he is finish lapping with.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

I've used the term "splitting hairs" many times, but I'd never actually seen it done until this!
    aus71383 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That sharpener is similar to the Edge Pro or a reverse Wicked Edge. You can get insane edges with those sharpeners.

Wicked Edge - http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.p...=77&video_id=1

Edge Pro - http://www.edgeproinc.com/Profession...Pro-System-c2/
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Not Bad but It's still not a sharp as Chuck Norris's stare.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here is another one:
    Lansky
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Administrator
    I have a LANSKY Diamond (Same Principle) & a WORK SHARP. Both are excellent but, I have never got an edge with either one where just the weight of a hair would actually shave slices off of the hair as in this video.

You'd get it with the Wicked Edge or Edge Pro. Same principle as the Wicked Edge, but does not end with the same results. You can get that edge with the Lansky, but then you need to pick up a quality leather strop and some different grit stropping compounds. The green compound will put an absolute mirror edge on you knife if you work it correctly, you just can't roll it at all. But, the steel needs to be a tight structure so it can take that type of edge. There's quite a difference between the edge S30V and 154cm will take.

Or, you could just send your knife to me and I can get it there for you...
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

When my razors start to pull and stropping doesn't bring the edge back I get out my Norton 4000/8000 stone. I make sure the stones are lapped flat and after about fifty strokes on the 4000 I do the same on the 8000 then to the strop. I have never tried to peel a hair because when they just touch the edge they pop in two. The old "hanging hair test."

That is with a razor made for shaving and not a hunting knife. Don't know if I could do it to a curved blade.

bosco

This guy was able to get his knife hair whittling sharp with a spyderco sharpmaker.

Viewer Request: Dull to Hair Whittling Using the Spyderco Sharpmaker - YouTube

VIP Member
    My grandfather taught me how to sharpen knives when I was old enough to know which side of the blade to use. I have changed the stones a bit over the years, I now use a Japanese waterstone, a medium and fine grit Colorado ceramic stones and a homemade leather strop with jewelers rouge. With those I can put on an edge that will shave the hairs off a frogs backside.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What's the timestamp when they do a feat-of-sharpness?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

It's right at the end (feat of sharpness).

I use a belt sander with a variety of belts, an old coffee can full of water, and a rag. I have belts in 80 and 120 grit, and 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 micron. I also have a leather belt that I use .5 micron compound on. I get a convex edge that is mirror smooth and shaving sharp....I don't think it would split hairs, but I haven't tried. The edge lasts longer if you don't overdo it.... (that's an excuse if you didn't recognize it)

Austin

VIP Member
    I have the EdgePro and like to get a mirror polished edge, but without the hair-poppin' sharpness. I have no personal use for something that sharp and delicate; I use my knives for utility purposes. I will sharpen knives for other people, and I always ask what the primary purpose the knife is for. Sometimes they get disappointed when I hand the finished knife back to them and the first thing they do is roll up their sleeves to test it.

"Well, it doesn't shave."
    "You told me you cut up cardboard boxes with it."
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

That is a damn sharp knife!!

"Well, it doesn't shave."

"You told me you cut up cardboard boxes with it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links