Push daggers in TX - Page 2

Push daggers in TX

This is a discussion on Push daggers in TX within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know Karambit history, but Wikipedia seems to indicate it has been used as a weapon for a very long time. Again, I don't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Push daggers in TX

I don't know Karambit history, but Wikipedia seems to indicate it has been used as a weapon for a very long time. Again, I don't care for them, but I've seen Ernie Emerson do some serious work with one...or any knife for that matter. Karambit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Well it sure is possible that I'm remembering it all from it's first American introduction.
    I don't know anything about it dating back to Malaysia and I have no idea where the American knife-maker got his inspiration from but, the knife itself did not closely mimic that one shown.
    And I do remember (first hand) a grouping of defensive trainers attempting to build a complete knife fighting genre around the initially available American Kerambit custom builds.
    Some folks point to the larger Gurkha knife and attempt to equate the effectiveness of the kerambit with the Gurkha and they are two completely different animals.
    Oh & for sure a nicely sharp Kerambit will make a really nice slashing cut on a hanging porker carcass but, I can put an edge on a piece of Plexiglas that will do the same thing.
    My only and final point being that all one can DO with the Kerambit is slash cutting and that makes it an extremely self limiting edged weapon by its inherent design.

Yep, like I said, it's certainly not for me. I wouldn't want to go up against one, but I wouldn't want to go up against any knife as I'm more intimidated by them than I am a firearm. I've been carrying that Strider DB-L but for the past couple weeks, I've been carrying the EB/DB which is partially hollow ground at the front half, has a recurve and a deep belly.

I typically don't care for recurves, but this thing is a serious cutter that can still pry due to the thickness out through the tip. Through skin and meat, the recurve and deep belly do some serious damage. The ONLY reason I might pick up the SA-L is for ease of sharpening. I use my knives pretty hard and the recurve takes more work to sharpen. I may end up sending it out and have about 50% of the recurve removed so it's a slightly more robust SA-L (standard spearpoint), basically.

These knives are both legal to carry concealed in Texas, though there's a chance an officer may not know his knife laws, which I ran into recently.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Strider. Nice knives. I wouldn't want to get filleted open with a Strider either.

"but I wouldn't want to go up against any knife as I'm more intimidated by them than I am a firearm"

I have been stabbed before in my younger days...with an icepick all the way in. Nowadays I don't like icepicks just as much as I don't want to get sliced wide open with a Strider.

These days I'm carrying a SOG Pentagon Elite II because it's OK w/ Regard to deployment but, mostly because it's a folder with a 5" blade length though I really do not like serrated blades.

I should probably consider carrying a fixed blade.

More about that elsewhere since I really don't want to sidetrack the OPs thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

an icepick all the way in… where?! That sounds like a story I'd like to hear!

JD
    Administrator
    Would a single edge (appear to be a false edge on the top) Push...not dagger, such as this be TX legal?

Blade length 2.5"
    Last edited by JD; April 29th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

By definition, yes it is legal to carry with a single edge. But, that doesn't mean a local officer won't misunderstand the law. I would carry one if that was my preference, with no hesitation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links