Good OTF?

This is a discussion on Good OTF? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been on the lookout for a good OTF auto for a while now. I've wanted one every since I was a kid and ...

Thread: Good OTF?

Good OTF?

I have been on the lookout for a good OTF auto for a while now. I've wanted one every since I was a kid and saw a family friend's. The ones that I find at gun/knife shows are always crap, and looking around online, I've only ever found them up in the $300+ range. Is there a nice middle-ground? Something that is decent quality but not going to break the bank?
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

2. Remove Ads

Guess I'm an ignoramus. What is "OTF"?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Guess I'm an ignoramus. What is "OTF"?
    Out the front knife, I'm thinking.
    Image Search Results for otf knives
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Out the front knife, I'm thinking.
    Image Search Results for otf knives
    Exactly, sorry about that.

No such thing as a good OTF…! A decent one would be the Microtech. The Scabard (sp?) is pretty slick. Unfortunately, there's no cheap, quality options that I'm aware of. It's hard to make a sturdy OTF, so most are not that durable.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I was looking at the Microtechs, and they seemed to be decent quality for the price. Unfortunately, the price was a bit high. I wish I could remember the brand from the one I saw when I was a kid. It seemed pretty sturdy. Not something I'd take out into the woods for survival, but for an EDC knife for defense and light utility use, it seemed more than adequate.

They are ok for basic stuff, but they can have issues with their mechanisms and they are not very solid compared to a good folder. It seems like they could somehow reinforce the bottom of the blade and have a kind of channel that it snugs into to, making it suitable for prying. Then again, I'm in no way an engineer or designer, so I have no clue what I'm talking about.

What I do know is that I can take a Strider SnG or SMF, which is s30v with a great heat treat, and pry with it. When it finally gives, it's the blade that often breaks and not the pivot or lock. That's what I look for. Though it's unlikely I'll pry with a folder like I would a fixed blade, I really appreciate the robustness and durability.

Had I not gotten spoiled by that type of durability, I probably wouldn't mind the OTF's. My buddy has a benchmade Infidel, I think 3 of them, and he refers to them as letter openers. If you need something fast that you can easily open with one had in less than ideal positions, the Emersons with the Wave are always a good option. They can be had well under MSRP as well if you look around. They kind of fall in that price range between Microtechs and and cheap OTF's. Obviously though, they're not OTF's!

Sorry I can't be of more help here.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I have an HK Tumult by Benchmade... You can get them for $175 at BladeHQ.com. It's far from what I'd call a durable knife. I have it just to have it. I wouldn't feel good using it for any kind of real use other than opening packages and other various minor cutting situations. My folders that I really like and would rely on are my Benchmades, Emerson's and Spyderco's. OTF knives just aren't tough enough for serious use. I have a Ka-Bar ESEE Izula that I have if I really need to be hard on a knife.

I like an IMP or a IMH
    Yoda, I am, yes.

In My Pocket or In My Holster
    Yoda, I am, yes.

OTF=Belly Knife ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Links