Need input with choosing a defensive folding knife

This is a discussion on Need input with choosing a defensive folding knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Looking for a defensive folding knife that is moderately priced (preferably under 70-80 dollars), has a thick, grippy handle with deep finger grooves, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need input with choosing a defensive folding knife

Hello

Looking for a defensive folding knife that is moderately priced (preferably under 70-80 dollars), has a thick, grippy handle with deep finger grooves, and preferably a locking blade (don't want the knife closing at the wrong time).

I've searched this forum extensively and with the dozen or so major manufacturers and hundreds of models, it's a lot to sift through.

I appreciate your recommendations.

Spyderco
    Benchmade
    Kabar
    kershaw
    cold steel
    buck
    Really depends on what you want. We can even find you one that you can use for "going out" lol

Buck 110 has no finger stud but can have one put on afterwards will be around 30 total and its a good reliable knife.
    Cold steel makes tons of good knives just choose the style you want. I prefer the Espada (5.5 version) because Tx is a 5.5 or under state. lol
    kershaw makes one mean knife, skyline, one ton, junkyard dog all around 40-70
    Kabar makes some nice ones that i really like made in china but a good tool (Mule g10 version) slimmer g10 scales instead of giant rubber mallet type handles.
    benchmade makes a good selection and so does spyderco, I really like Benchmades LFK (5.2 inch knife, tx thing) and spyderco's bryd series crossbill serrated. still need to pick one up suppose to be heavy
    Really depends on what you want to do with it and if you want something you can use apart from just SD or everyday/SD

Ive carried a Buck 110 for 2 years, a skyline for 1 year and a mule G10 serrated tanto for 3 years. LFK for 1 year and various others.

Ive had knives since I was 11 and they usually consisted of cheap buck 110 knockoffs from Rite edge, mtech and others not bad as "throw away" knives.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the SOG FlashII straight edge blade. NON current now The AEGIS is the new knive AUS8 steel. Retail is 93 bucks but can be bought around 55 dollars. Assist on opening. Good open blade lock. I did super glue the close lock switch to never come on. - SOG Knives on Sale at Buy SOG .com - Every SOG Knife Up to 40% Off
    Philly Boy likes this.

My two go-to folders are a Benchmade Griptilian, or a Spyderco Endura 4 with the "wave" feature.

Both have 4" blades, and can be found in your price range.

The Griptilian is a bit thicker, but both work well, have good steel, moveable pocket clips, and lock up tight. Benchmade's axis lock is one of the strongest folder locks out there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    My two go-to folders are a Benchmade Griptilian, or a Spyderco Endura 4 with the "wave" feature.

Both have 4" blades, and can be found in your price range.
    - In your price range, I think those are the two best choices.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the replies.

Spade115, I appreciate your suggestions and after looking at Cold Steel's website, I'm really liking the American Lawman. Seems to be just what I'm looking for. If anyone has experience with Cold Steel knives, especially the Lawman, some feedback would be great.

buckeye . 45, the Griptillian and Endura are both knives I've seen mentioned frequently on this forum and I'll check those out. And what is the "wave feature"?

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Spade115, I appreciate your suggestions and after looking at Cold Steel's website, I'm really liking the American Lawman. Seems to be just what I'm looking for. If anyone has experience with Cold Steel knives, especially the Lawman, some feedback would be great.

buckeye . 45, the Griptillian and Endura are both knives I've seen mentioned frequently on this forum and I'll check those out. And what is the "wave feature"?
    The wave is a hook on the top of the blade, forward of the thumbhole that you can use to open the blade while you deploy from your pocket. It is the fastest way that I know of to open a non-assisted folder, and in actual deployment time from the pocket, is faster than many folders.

Here is a Gen4 Endura without the wave: Spyderco Endura 4 , BLK, PE SC-C10PBK-4 - New Graham Knives

And here is one with: Spyderco Endura w/ Wave SC10PGYW - New Graham Knives

It is definately worth the few extra bucks to get one with the wave.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I got my first Spyderco yesterday, I picked up the Tenacious for around $35 shipped, so far I'm really impressed. Came super sharp, and seems to be really well built. I can say for sure I'll be buying more knifes from Spyderco after this "cheap" model looks so good, and that's coming from someone that's carried Kershaws and Benchmades for the last 3-4 years. In your range you could pick up the Endura, Delica, or Native and have a find SD knife

I appreciate your suggestions and after looking at Cold Steel's website, I'm really liking the American Lawman. Seems to be just what I'm looking for. If anyone has experience with Cold Steel knives, especially the Lawman, some feedback would be great.
    - I've owned a few Cold Steel knives and while they are a decent value for the money, their steels tend to be on the lower end. The ones I've owned (AUS-8) dulled faster than other knives I've owned.

This is how the Wave works...
    Emerson Knife Operation: Wave vs. Others - YouTube
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

tokerblue: Thanks for telling me about those Cold Steel blades. I do want a blade that retains its sharpness at least somewhat well. Admittedly, I don't use for a pocket knife much on a daily basis (certainly not at work), so right now my next knife purchase would be almost strictly for SD.

Spyderco and Emerson are two manufacturers I've seen mentioned frequently so I will look into those.

Thanks everyone for the input and other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hello

Looking for a defensive folding knife that is moderately priced (preferably under 70-80 dollars), has a thick, grippy handle with deep finger grooves, and preferably a locking blade (don't want the knife closing at the wrong time).

I've searched this forum extensively and with the dozen or so major manufacturers and hundreds of models, it's a lot to sift through.

I appreciate your recommendations.
    For self defense, I prefer my Kerrshaw Tanto Blur, but I am mostly carrying my Spyderco FFG Delica 4. I would not hesitate to use that for defense, either.

I really like the Kershaw knives I'm looking at online. In regards to Kershaw and Spyderco, are their blade locks pretty strong? I don't want the blade closing on my fingers should I have to use it.

I admit that those cheesy Cold Steel demonstration videos were impressive....

And is a stainless steel blade a necessity?

Thanks!

The stainless steel helps with corrosion resistance. The locks on both my Kershaws and Spydercos are very positive.

The Kershaw Rake looks almost exactly like what I'm looking for. G10 scaled handle, large flat blade, pocket clip, thumb studs for easy open, and supposedly a strong blade lock.

Unless anyone can provide some negative feedback about the Rake, it looks like it will be the self-defense knife for me. The Spyderco Endura and CRKT Shenanigan both look great as well if I can't locate the Rake at a local store. The Benchmades and Emersons appear to be above my price point.

Feedback welcome. Thanks

Love my Endura 4!

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - In your price range, I think those are the two best choices.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links