Favored locking mechanism?

This is a discussion on Favored locking mechanism? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never had a quality frame lock fail on my. I did have an Axis lock on my Benchmade 710 unlock on me under use ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Favored locking mechanism?

I've never had a quality frame lock fail on my. I did have an Axis lock on my Benchmade 710 unlock on me under use and smack against my finger, slicing it open pretty deep.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    I have seen Axis lock fail under severe abuse. However, the abuse that it was being put through is more suited for a fixed blade. As a simple folding knife that will be worked hard (but not abused), I still REALLY like the axis lock. I think it's a robust lock for what it's designed for. I use my folders, but I don't beat on them. It's a knife. Not an ax, not a pry bar, not a screwdriver.... For extreme heavy duty use, use a fixed blade.

I've personally never had any kind of lock fail on me. I've only cut myself due to my own stupidity :) I just love the action of the Axis lock and how quickly you can flick it open or closed.

I understand the thought that a knife is not a prybar… But, sometimes it's all you have. There's some pics in the Strider thread of a door I absolutely had to get into right then at that very moment. Had I not had my knife, and due to the position of the door and wall behind me, I would have been kicking for a while. Actually, my knife was an ax at that point as well as I had to basically chop at one area though I was pounding on the blade more than anything. At that point, I'm certain my Axis lock knives would have failed me.

So, though I don't buy knives for prying (well, I did buy the DB-L for prying) there's a chance a situation may develop that requires prying and all you have is a knife. I know it's not the most common occurrence, but I absolutely hate to think what the outcome may have been had I not gotten through the door in time. I'm 100% confident a Strider SMF folder would have accomplished this as well. I'm also 100% certain no Benchmade I've owned would have. This isn't about the locking mechanism here as much though.

The Axis lock is smooth. I had a HK tanto that was just completely loose when you released the lock but very tight when it locked up. Now, I've also had Chris Reeve frame locks that were so smooth and precise, it was strange at first. My Strider frame locks aren't necessarily as smooth, but they are as quick and when they lock in place, it's with a commanding thwack! and there are numerous pics on other forums of the blade breaking before the lock gave out, though it took someone weighing about 300 pounds pulling on it with all there weight trying to shift a flywheel. After years of abuse, the blade finally gave out, but not the lock.

For a defensive blade, any of the locks will be good. I like a frame lock again because my grip (forward or reverse) will prevent it from ever unlocking. Now, in the countless hours I've spent training in edged weapons, I've never had any lock fail on me, even when sparring hard against a bag and hitting it hard with the back edge of the blade.

Not trying to argue here or say the Axis lock isn't a great lock, just giving another view on it since I view a knife as whatever tool I may need at that moment and I may very well find myself prying with it and if that's the case, I NEED it to stay locked. Luckily, I almost always have a fixed blade Strider DB-L or EB/DB on me.

EDIT - I forgot the Strider thread is another forum. I think I posted the door pics in the everyday carry knife thread.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I understand what you're saying. I too think an axis lock would have failed prying a door open. It's not designed for it. Probably would break the pivot pin or handles before the blade. Like I said, for extreme abuse (or use), a fixed blade is a go-to knife, which in Texas, you're legally allowed to carry. In PA, knife laws vary by township. I could be legal in one town and enter the next and be a felon. It's stupid. I have an ESEE Izula I'd carry if I could legally do so. Until then, I have to stick to my Benchmades, Spydero's and Emerson's

I've never handled a Strider folder, or fixed blade for that mater. A bit too expensive for me. Most I've spent for a knife is $200 on an Emerson. That's about as high as I can comfortably go.

The Liner Locks I have used do not seem as strong as the Lock Back or Compression style. I carried a Benchmade, Don't remeber the name, but the blade said crawford design. I carried this knife everyday for about 6 years. The liner lock actually developed play in it. Yes from to much flicking it open with my wrist. I tried forcing it closed and it would kick the lock off after a decent ammount of pressure was applied. Holy Cr@p. Sent it back to Benchmade. They fitted a new liner lock. It came back tight with no play. But as far as total strength it does not hold a candle to the other styles. Also if I squeeze the handle hard the flesh from one of my finger will squeeze the liner open a little. Since that point I went to a lock on the back. My hand won't deactivate them in any accidental way and they seem stronger and have a larger bearing surface for strength and wear. I have a Spyderco Delica 4 with the Emmerson wave as my every day cary. I love this knife and recomend it highly. Any lock system that has a secondary lock system, seems to be lacking in the original design.

I really like lockback, old school and reliable, but lean more torwdes liner lock for carry since most of my lockbacks are just 110 model bucks.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I have a Strider that never gave a minutes trouble,and the lock was strong,I've had benchmades that never gave trouble,but the axis lock will fill with debris and not fully engage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links