WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns) - Page 2

WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns)

This is a discussion on WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Crowman You must be speaking of the letter you received with your permit. You did see the words butterfly knife unfortunately you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns)

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    You must be speaking of the letter you received with your permit. You did see the words butterfly knife unfortunately you misread it. Here is what it states in the letter:
    "Your license authorizes you to carry in a concealed manner a handgun, an electric weapon, a billy club, or a knife other than a switchblade (which includes a butterfly knife.)"
    ahhh gotchya, thanks. Decided I'm going to invest the extra money in some FOX labs OC spray and a small knife with a glass breaker/seatbelt cutter.

This might be a dumb question but..

if your not comfortable with her carrying a gun why are you?

Also why a butterfly knife? Why not an assisted knife or a quick flip knife?

If your not worried about her getting close to the perp (Spray dosnt work on everyone) and your looking for a stun gun/Tazer then if the perps holding her from what I understand she is ultimately shocking herself as well, with a knife if you dont see her able to pull the triggle she might not be able to cut someone enough to get them off.

Proper training would be your best bet.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    This might be a dumb question but..

if your not comfortable with her carrying a gun why are you?

Also why a butterfly knife? Why not an assisted knife or a quick flip knife?

If your not worried about her getting close to the perp (Spray dosnt work on everyone) and your looking for a stun gun/Tazer then if the perps holding her from what I understand she is ultimately shocking herself as well, with a knife if you dont see her able to pull the triggle she might not be able to cut someone enough to get them off.

Proper training would be your best bet.
    No such thing as a dumb question :D

1. I carry because I have training and in such event I would be capable of using the firearm if needed. It's not that I'm not "comfortable" with guns, it's that I'm not comfortable with people carrying if they are not willing to use them when/if the time comes. If she felt she could use it if she had to I would give her one of mine to carry.

2. I'm not sure why, I just like butterfly knives. I am very good with them and can open it faster than I can any other knife. I have plenty of knives already, but I like to add to my collection, not to mention they are fun :D

3. The knife isn't for her, it's for me, and yes you are right, pulling the trigger is a lot easier than having to use a knife in SD. The stun gun would have been for her. I looked into them a lot and can't find a decent stun gun anywhere so that's out of the question.

If the butterfly knives for you bear and son makes a great looking damscus one, and a new company benchmark makes a nice on on the cheap as well

Knives at Knife Center

this is a nice lil stun gun that she can carry in a purse or pocket and not worry about it going off on her reaching for it

Cheetah Matrix Self Defense Stun Gun - BUDK

Collectible Knives and Swords

hope this helps some
    Timeismoney likes this.

Just a note on Tasers, yes they are a bit expensive but they are very effective. If one of the barbs miss the target and they get to contact distance you can use the taser as a stun gun. The advantage is that if the barb that struck home is still attached the circuit is completed and you get the desired muscular seizure. If both have missed then it acts as a standard stun gun, applied to the groin, throat or other sensitive areas they are still effective. The other thing is a LEO Taser fires for 10-15 seconds but the civilian version fires for 30 seconds so your wife has time to leave the danger. The company recommends that once the BG is flopping on the ground just set the Taser on the ground and run like heck. Taser will replace for free a Taser that is lost in a defensive situation. Just file a police report and submit it and they will send you a new one. Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Just a note on Tasers, yes they are a bit expensive but they are very effective. If one of the barbs miss the target and they get to contact distance you can use the taser as a stun gun. The advantage is that if the barb that struck home is still attached the circuit is completed and you get the desired muscular seizure. If both have missed then it acts as a standard stun gun, applied to the groin, throat or other sensitive areas they are still effective. The other thing is a LEO Taser fires for 10-15 seconds but the civilian version fires for 30 seconds so your wife has time to leave the danger. The company recommends that once the BG is flopping on the ground just set the Taser on the ground and run like heck. Taser will replace for free a Taser that is lost in a defensive situation. Just file a police report and submit it and they will send you a new one. Just some thoughts.
    I didn't know they would replace them, props to them. I know they are very effective, but when it comes down to concealing them it is very hard to do. We also do not have even close to $300-400 for one. Thanks tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeismoney View Post
    I understand that switch blades are completely illegal even with a permit, but I believe I remember seeing somewhere that a butterfly knife IS legal to carry in Wisconsin if you have a conceal carry license, but now I'm unable to find it. Could anyone tell me if they are legal (with a permit) and provide a link if possible? I'm a big fan of them and would love to be able to carry one.

Another question: Is a stun gun worth carrying? I have no experience what-so-ever with them and I'm curious as to if they actually work well. My wife may be taking her conceal carry course and I'm trying to find the best options for her to carry, as much as I love carrying I do not want her carrying a gun, I got her OC spray and taught her how to use it, but I want her to have at least 1 other option to defend herself. What is your experience with stun guns? If you believe they are a good option, how many volts/amps should a good one be?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Let me try to address your specific questions. First, You know that the laws in Wisconsin are the main important thing regarding the type of knife that is legal to carry. Having said that, I remind you that using and training with any bladed weapon is VERY technique- and skill-driven. In other words, if your wife is planning to carry a knife for her defense, she had better plan to practice with it a whole lot. Under stress (and a knife fight is the ULTIMATE in close combat stress), you revert to whatever you have practiced the most.

Since you said you have some training in martial arts, you already know that the one constant of any fight is that you need to be prepared to get hurt in your defense, as a possibility. A knife fight is fast ugly, bloody and painful. Been there.....don't want to do it again. I only mention this because your wife will need to confront this fact, if she is planning to carry a balisong. Enough said on that topic.

Now to the stun gun. We all know that a stun gun is very different from a taser. Since you specified stun guns, here is the truth on them. (I have trained with them and been stunned as part of that training, many times.) They are a pain compliance tool. In practice, they do not incapacitate the target subject. Let me repeat: NO incapacitation. No falling down, twitching, drooling, or instant unconsciousness with a stun gun. It simply hurts enough that they may lose focus for long enough to be controlled and cuffed. Or maybe you could run away. but.....and it is a huge but......using a stun gun can also simply piss the subject off. Not good, since at that time, they are likely to be right in your face.

So, let's review: A ballisong is a very advanced tool to be used best by a very experienced operator, and perhaps as a last resort. A stun gun is a mostly ineffective incapacitation tool, that could infuriate an attacker, rather than turn them away from the attack.

My humble advice would be to use the space that a stun gun might take up to carry more extra magazines for your primary gun, or perhaps to add a good flashlight. As far as a knife is concerned, by all means carry as many as you or your wife choose to. But PRACTICE.......PRACTICE......PRACTICE!!!!

I hope this is of some help.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

I was thinking of this and my ol lady works at sears now and isnt allowed to carry a knife on duty. and we dont own any firearms yet but I saw this the other day that caught my attention.

for the small 2AA Flashlights

Amazon.com: Bust-A-Cap BAC 60000 Tactical Tailcap for Maglite Mini Mag AA Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors

would be a good backup tool as well. and its a mad light so its bright (new ones are LED)

with a good small knife, would be a good combo
    Burns likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links