WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns)

This is a discussion on WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that switch blades are completely illegal even with a permit, but I believe I remember seeing somewhere that a butterfly knife IS legal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns)

WI: Butterfly knives (and stun guns)

I understand that switch blades are completely illegal even with a permit, but I believe I remember seeing somewhere that a butterfly knife IS legal to carry in Wisconsin if you have a conceal carry license, but now I'm unable to find it. Could anyone tell me if they are legal (with a permit) and provide a link if possible? I'm a big fan of them and would love to be able to carry one.

Another question: Is a stun gun worth carrying? I have no experience what-so-ever with them and I'm curious as to if they actually work well. My wife may be taking her conceal carry course and I'm trying to find the best options for her to carry, as much as I love carrying I do not want her carrying a gun, I got her OC spray and taught her how to use it, but I want her to have at least 1 other option to defend herself. What is your experience with stun guns? If you believe they are a good option, how many volts/amps should a good one be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Ads

What is your wife comfortable carrying? Is she comfortable carrying a gun?

Stun guns are a contact weapon, Tazers add distance. Do you really want your wife relying on a contact distance weapon?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

She really likes my LCP but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with her carrying a gun, and I don't think she is either. I don't believe in a life/death situation she would be capable of pulling the trigger, it is really much easier said than done when you are in that situation and I don't want it being used against her. I am almost always with her when she is not working so she doesn't spend much time alone.

Tasers are almost harder to conceal than a handgun and you only have one shot, if you miss with either barb it will do nothing (not to mention they are $350+). Like I stated, I have taught her how to use OC spray and that would be her first option to use. I have also taught her a few self defense moves. But there are situations were OC spray won't affect people (alcohol,pcp,people who have a tolerance to it), I live in a city FILLED with bars and drunk college kids, so I would like her to have a alternative to OC spray. But we don't have much of a budget at the moment for a taser or anything.

Adding another less than lethal tool to the defensive toolbox, and one that requires contact distance to use, may not be the best solution.

I personally, would think that some unarmed training from a reputable school would be a better option. That would at least provide a larger, more adaptive skill set than just a stun gun.

Or, find a course that focuses on handgun retention and unarmed techniques for your wife, so that she can defend herself with lethal force if needed, and you don't need to worry about someone taking her gun.

EDIT: I wrote a blog post a little while back that you may find interesting as it directly pertains to this topic: http://littlemiamitactical.blogspot....4/why-gun.html
    Spade115 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I appreciate your replies however what I'm really trying to find out is the effectiveness of a stun gun, but mainly the legality of carrying a butterfly knife.

I have already taught her the basics of defensive combat, I have 4-5 years of Judo training and about a year of Jujitsu training, I was also trained by my dad who is the founder of American Black Belt Academy and a L.E instructor. But I'm sure you know it takes years of training to properly defend yourself, not just a day or 2, she is not as... "enthusiastic" about learning martial arts as I am. It is more of a risk than anything to carry a gun if you are not prepared to use it in the time of need, which I don't believe she would be. Like I said, I am almost always around her and when she is at work there are a few security officers (a few of which were also trained by my dad). The only time she is really alone is when she is running to the store or going to and from work. I believe it would be wise for her to have a back-up less-than-lethal alternative, so I am just wondering the effectiveness of it.

I think I remember getting a paper with my permit that said something like "knives are legal to conceal including butterfly knives, excluding switchblades" but I can't seem to find it.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I'm wondering about stun guns, not tasers :D

Crowman can we carry balisongs in Wisconsin? (butterfly knives)

in texas no butterflys,switch blades, dble bladed or knifes over 5 1/2 inchs even with a ccw permit

stun guns are about 500.00

Wisconsin Statue
    941.24  Possession of switchblade knife.
    941.24(1) (1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

My take on is that it would be illegal. However, to be on the safe side your best option would be to contact the DOJ for the correct answer. I would also suggest that if they inform you that it is legal, get it in writing from them.

Contact DOJ
    WI Department of Justice
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Wisconsin Statue
    941.24  Possession of switchblade knife.
    941.24(1) (1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

My take on is that it would be illegal. However, to be on the safe side your best option would be to contact the DOJ for the correct answer. I would also suggest that if they inform you that it is legal, get it in writing from them.

Contact DOJ
    WI Department of Justice
    Yeah I'm going to tomorrow but I thought I got a paper saying specifically that they were legal to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeismoney View Post
    I'm wondering about stun guns, not tasers :D

Crowman can we carry balisongs in Wisconsin? (butterfly knives)
    Sorry for the misread... However, to my knowledge stun guns have to be physically put on the subject and most, if not all, stun guns really don't have the "charge" needed to be effective in the way one will need it to be. Someone correct me if I
    am wrong.

RKM
    Butterfly knives, IMO are toys. They take too long to open in self defense. Sure they look scary when you see some ninja man waving it around... but they're highly impractical. Carry a simple folding knife from a reputable manufacture or fixed blade if you legally can.

From what I read I'm assuming it is illegal. I could have sword I read on the letter I got that you can carry one legally, but I'm not going to risk it. I'm going to look for a good fixed blade that is concealable. Barstoolguru, stun guns are not $500 lol. They are about 20-50. Tasers are up to 500.

Thanks for trying anyways guys, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeismoney View Post
    From what I read I'm assuming it is illegal. I could have sword I read on the letter I got that you can carry one legally, but I'm not going to risk it.
    You must be speaking of the letter you received with your permit. You did see the words butterfly knife unfortunately you misread it. Here is what it states in the letter:
    "Your license authorizes you to carry in a concealed manner a handgun, an electric weapon, a billy club, or a knife other than a switchblade (which includes a butterfly knife.)"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links