Cold Steel knives?

This is a discussion on Cold Steel knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at the Cold Steel kukri machete and GI Tanto I'm going on a TDY for a month and will be in the woods the ...

Thread: Cold Steel knives?

Cold Steel knives?

Looking at the Cold Steel kukri machete and GI Tanto

I'm going on a TDY for a month and will be in the woods the whole time. No barracks this year, will be doing infantry movement and such.

I was looking at something I could afford and have along with me.

I looked at the Ka-Bar machete and the cold steel one. both seem excellent and affordable for me right now

while looking at that I saw the GI Tanto as well. looks like a nice knife. Less inexpensive compared to the Seal Pup.

I'm little short on funds right now, so I can't break the bank either.

any input guys? $50 or so for both the items seem nice, and bunch of good reviews on both items as well.

2. Remove Ads

I don't typically care for Cold Steel, but for your use, I think they be fine. If you lose them, you won't be out a lot of money. Just bring a good stone with you to keep an edge. Their steel isn't the best and it'll dull quicker than something like s30v, but it'll also be easier to sharpen. As for the knife, if you could squeeze a little more out of your budget, one of the ESEE knife like the RC-4 would be a great choice.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I've dulled Cold Steels doing very little cutting. I wasn't impressed with them. They come insanely sharp. But it doesn't last very long.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    What RKM said. Sharp as razor out of the box but that don't last long.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I did my research. they use aus8 which some people consider weak. It's what the seal pup uses and many guys have on the field. I've yet to see one fail.

I looked at the GI tanto and that uses 1055 steel which is stronger. at 30 bucks, it's worth a try.

so i ordered a Kobun and a GI Tanto. I will test them out when I'm gone and come back with a report. I won't baby them. I'll use it like I would any other knife. I won't torture them either. just regular field use. see what happens.

I still love my SOG Flash II which lasted me 3 years and still running strong btw. I also have a Ontario SP2 which I might bring and let one of the other guys mess with it to see how it lasts out there

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    if you could squeeze a little more out of your budget, one of the ESEE knife like the RC-4 would be a great choice.
    You just went form a $29, 7" knife with 1055 steel to a $139, 9" knife with 1095 steel.

That's like asking for a RIA 1911 and the person telling you to get a Les Baer 1911 instead.

Administrator
    Personally I think you're better off with the Cold Steel Bolo Machete if you're going to buy a Cold Steel. Just take a medium/coarse small stone with you since you can easily dress the edge in just a few minutes. Just spend a few minutes at the end of the day and lightly stone the edge. It will work out for you if money is real tight. Cheapest Ebay price is around $18.00 & Free Shipping.

Personally I think you would probably be better off with the Marbles Bolo Camp Jungle Machete.
    Overall it's just a bit better, sturdier, and (in my opinion) a more utilitarian machete than the Cold Steel and the sheath is better.

I found this VID on YouTube.

the Marbles SCOUT is longer. I don't know how you intend to use yours so the exact desired length would be your personal preference.

I've owned Cold Steel blades for years and like them so much that I've either sold or given other blades that I owned away. The Recon Tanto, Voyager lockbacks and Gurkha Kukri are amazing blades!

Links