Defensive Carry banner

Cold Steel knives?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Fnfalguy 
#1 ·
Looking at the Cold Steel kukri machete and GI Tanto

I'm going on a TDY for a month and will be in the woods the whole time. No barracks this year, will be doing infantry movement and such.

I was looking at something I could afford and have along with me.

I looked at the Ka-Bar machete and the cold steel one. both seem excellent and affordable for me right now

while looking at that I saw the GI Tanto as well. looks like a nice knife. Less inexpensive compared to the Seal Pup.

I'm little short on funds right now, so I can't break the bank either.

any input guys? $50 or so for both the items seem nice, and bunch of good reviews on both items as well.

#2 ·
I don't typically care for Cold Steel, but for your use, I think they be fine. If you lose them, you won't be out a lot of money. Just bring a good stone with you to keep an edge. Their steel isn't the best and it'll dull quicker than something like s30v, but it'll also be easier to sharpen. As for the knife, if you could squeeze a little more out of your budget, one of the ESEE knife like the RC-4 would be a great choice.

#5 ·
I did my research. they use aus8 which some people consider weak. It's what the seal pup uses and many guys have on the field. I've yet to see one fail.

I looked at the GI tanto and that uses 1055 steel which is stronger. at 30 bucks, it's worth a try.

so i ordered a Kobun and a GI Tanto. I will test them out when I'm gone and come back with a report. I won't baby them. I'll use it like I would any other knife. I won't torture them either. just regular field use. see what happens.

I still love my SOG Flash II which lasted me 3 years and still running strong btw. I also have a Ontario SP2 which I might bring and let one of the other guys mess with it to see how it lasts out there

#7 ·
Personally I think you're better off with the Cold Steel Bolo Machete if you're going to buy a Cold Steel. Just take a medium/coarse small stone with you since you can easily dress the edge in just a few minutes. Just spend a few minutes at the end of the day and lightly stone the edge. It will work out for you if money is real tight. Cheapest Ebay price is around $18.00 & Free Shipping.

Personally I think you would probably be better off with the Marbles Bolo Camp Jungle Machete.
Overall it's just a bit better, sturdier, and (in my opinion) a more utilitarian machete than the Cold Steel and the sheath is better.

I found this VID on YouTube.

the Marbles SCOUT is longer. I don't know how you intend to use yours so the exact desired length would be your personal preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.