Smith's PP1 sharpener?

Smith's PP1 sharpener?

This is a discussion on Smith's PP1 sharpener? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought this from amazon few months ago, and I can't say it's the best thing out there. or I'm not using it properly... from ...

Thread: Smith's PP1 sharpener?

Smith's PP1 sharpener?

I bought this from amazon few months ago, and I can't say it's the best thing out there. or I'm not using it properly...

from what I read around on the net, they say not to use the carbide unless your edge is pretty effed up. stick with ceramic side and not too many swipes (?) through it. apparently people over do it.

well I can't say my SOG Flash II got much sharper... it's a AUS8 blade I think, and they sharpen easy afaik. my Ontaio SP2 got pretty nice from it, but I used the carbide before the ceramic.

that being said, am I alone on this? or am I doing something wrong? Not much I can do with this thing? lol...

I tried to sharpen some kitchen knives, and that was a total fail. they didn't get any sharper. lol

I'm not a fan of those "guided" sharpeners at all. You rarely can match the edge angle on anything other than a really thin knife. IMO, the best value sharpeners are the Gatco or Lansky type sharpening systems with set angles.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Links