The Attack of the Evil Spyderco Cricket

This is a discussion on The Attack of the Evil Spyderco Cricket within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So there we were, two strangers standing side-by-side, having the same problem. We couldn't open up those silly little packets of mustard, and we really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Attack of the Evil Spyderco Cricket

VIP Member

So there we were, two strangers standing side-by-side, having the same problem. We couldn't open up those silly little packets of mustard, and we really wanted to chow down on our hotdogs.

We tore at those things to no avail. I think we went through two or three mustard packs each, tossing the untearable ones back into the bucket to grab another. It was rather comical. Not about to be defeated (and I was getting really hungry), I finally pulled out my little serrated Spyderco Cricket and cut open my package. Hah! Tool-using human. I triumphantly squirted the mustard all over my hotdog.

So I looked over at the other guy, who's still grumbling at the mustard and tearing away. I hold out my hand and offer to open his mustard pack for him. He looks over as he starts to hand over the packet, spots the big, scary knife I'm holding, makes "aaaah, oooh" gasping noises, and recoils in horror like I was holding a giant cockroach with big, googly eyes. He tosses the mustard onto the table and stands there like I'm offering to slice his throat open.

I should've just walked off and left the moron standing there, but I had to show him the 100-pound girl with the tiny utility blade meant no harm. I cut his mustard pack open, said, "there you go," and went on my way, stuffing myself with my hotdog.

Looking at that guy, he was just a bit younger than me. He probably has a Playstation and drools over himself as he guns down and mutilates pixelated people, but recoils in horror over a tiny Spyderco. All I did was offer to open up a pack of mustard. Are people completely incapable of understanding things in context?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yes, Betty, many are.

Just another sheep in human clothing. Don't ya know, those packets are made to be opened with your teeth? LOL
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Are people completely incapable of understanding things in context?
    Yes. If it happens again, look at the offender, hold up the Cricket, and say, "Me Hooman. Use tool. Eat now.", and walk off.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Damn Betty,you missed the chance to wipe the little blade back and forth accross your tongue while commenting as to the spicyness of the product.

Next time try to do better. After all,we here are counting on you.-------

Senior Moderator
    Betty - great story; glad you posted it!

It never fails to amaze me to see how people react to things that we (combat carry folks) simply take for granted. It would have been interesting to see his reaction to a larger knife; he may have just frozen in fear - or rushed to the rest room.

Thanks again for posting that!

Lead Moderator
    Oh, to have been a fly on the wall!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Great stuff Betty - and maybe one more person has, on reflection, come to see the sheer utilitarian value of the small folder
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

surprised he didn't call the police and said that a petite crazy woman pulled a knife and threatened him at the condiment stand.

Yup, know what you mean. Once at a church meeting I was at they needed to get open a box and were having quite a struggle. One guy knew I was making my living at the time as a knife maker so asked if I had one. Pulled up the bottom of my shirt and produced a beautiful little 3" utility job with ironwood scales and sweet curves I had. I thought the room was going to empty like a bomb scare. Ooooppppsss! Sorry!

Some folks are really out of touch.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Looks are everthing. While working for trhe phone company a lot of people brought large butcher knives to work to cut cakes, muffins etc. I have a bayonet that has been modified into a bread/butcher knife (blade was ground down to be thin and flexible) I took it to work to cut cakes etc. freaked everybody out cause it still had the bayonet handle.

I've carried a pocket knife *almost* every day since I was 10 years old. The ability to cut something ranks right up there with fire, the wheel, and soft-serve icecream.

Our society has turned into a bunch of mamby-pambies who get squeemish when thinking about where food comes from, blink stupidly when you talk about a handshake being as good a notorized document, and play the Lotto where the odds are millions to one but won't arm themselves when the odds are thousands to one.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Thanks for sharing the story, Betty.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

big, scary knife

Thanks for sharing, that made my day.

Had about the same situation recently. Female coworker was trying to cut her sausage with a dull butter knife, with very little success. I offered my spankin' new folder (Kershaw SpeedBump - love it!) and put it on the table in front of her, unopened. She didn't touch it. And she said "No, thanks" like I had put a Great German Landsknecht Sword on the table.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Senior Moderator
    I'm still chuckling about this guy's reaction - I can just about visualize it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links