Bark River Knives?

Bark River Knives?

This is a discussion on Bark River Knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at getting a new knife and was looking at the Bark River knives. There are two that I'm looking at they are the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By usmc0811

Thread: Bark River Knives?

Bark River Knives?

I'm looking at getting a new knife and was looking at the Bark River knives. There are two that I'm looking at they are the sts-5 and the sts-8. I have been doing some research on them and they sound really strong and well built. If you have heard of them and or have one I would like to hear from, or if you would recommend something else. I would be using it for camping/survival knife. thanks.
    If you have not heard of them you should check them out they look nice.

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/

link added qks.
    QKShooter likes this.

Iíve got 1 Bark River, the ďHighland SpecialĒ in Ivory Micarta pictured in the middle. Iíve owned it a couple years now and use it for camping/hunting. So far Iíve dressed 5 deer with it, and itís held up well, itís now become my favorite woods knife. I use it for everytnig from fish to making sandwiches. Mine is in A2 tool steel (high carbon) so it will stain/get a patina.

One thing about BRKTs, theyíve got a convex grind, which if youíre not familiar with takes a little getting used to. Once I got used to it, itís now my hands down favorite grind. Very easy to maintain and sharpen when it does get dull.

The STS-5 and 8ís are big knives, bigger than I have a use for to be honest, Iíve no doubt that theyíre well-made and will serve you well.. I favor the "Nessmuk Trilogy" concept; pocket knife, medium blade, and a hatchet/forest axe for the big stuff.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Administrator
    Bark River.
    Good knives. They have been around for a long time.
    If you're going to go with the Bark River I would choose the STS-5 over the STS-8. The "5" looks better suited for all/general purpose survival.

For Survival/Camping - I would also consider the "Swamp Rat Knives" Rodent 4 or Rodent 6 showing on their site right now.
    Personally I like more knife so I would choose the Rodent 6 - but, it's a matter of personal preference.

Swamp Rat Knife Works

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I love Bark River knives. It helps if you have a strop to sharpen with, though, the convex grind lends itself to frequent touch-up stropping rather than less frequent resharpening.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Sponsored Links