Spectre Take Down Bow - I Bought One Just For The Heckovit - Review.

Spectre Take Down Bow - I Bought One Just For The Heckovit - Review.

This is a discussion on Spectre Take Down Bow - I Bought One Just For The Heckovit - Review. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spectre Take-Down Survival Bow / Arrow Set 35# draw | eBay I whoopsed and copied the wrong bow auction for this thread. I actually bought ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Spectre Take Down Bow - I Bought One Just For The Heckovit - Review.

Administrator

Post Spectre Take Down Bow - I Bought One Just For The Heckovit - Review.

Spectre Take-Down Survival Bow / Arrow Set 35# draw | eBay

I whoopsed and copied the wrong bow auction for this thread. I actually bought the 45 pound bow available from the same Ebay seller. It's identical save for the draw weight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320645478021

That second link is the one I bought but, the seller seems to have sold out of the heavier bow for now. I expect they will be listed again soon.

I just had to buy one to mess around with it. I can see it being potentially useful at some future point in time.
    I was a summer camp archery instructor years ago so this is not my only bow. It would be my first take-down bow though.
    It arrived packaged very well. Shipping was quick. I bought it from that (above) Ebay seller. No problems with the transaction.
    The pull weight on the bow was actually a few pounds heavier than advertised and that's a plus.

Here is a brief review.

Overall it works and functions as it should. The center section could be made a bit lighter. Spectre could probably fit a hollow Carbon Fiber tube in the center of it and cut the weight of it down by half. It is heavier than it needs to be.
    I am going to strategically remove some material and lighten it up. I want to get the total weight down.

It only comes with one bow string....really they should give you 2 with a survival type bow but, they only cost a few bucks. So that's no big deal.

The little notches in the limbs for the bow string have fairly sharp edges but I smoothed and rounded those edges a bit and that only took a few minutes.

The arrows are Carbon arrows and feature target tips. They screw in and out and are standard thread so it's a simple matter to switch them out for some decent thread in broad-heads like those made by MUZZY.

Putting the bow together and taking it back down is a breeze. It's take-down length is very short/small which is a big plus. I took a few test shots and it's accuracy actually surprised me. Or possibly I am just a better than decent archer.

The arrows though (of course) increase the size of the package. So...I went searching for take-down arrows and 3 of those (good quality) are as expensive as the bow. I would want at least 6 so that is going to run me a bit more $$$ than I originally planned on spending on this project.

Hope this helps in case you may be interested in possibly purchasing one for the Bug Out.
    JoeK likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Is this capable of cleanly taking a deer under 25 yds? If not is there one of higher draw weight available?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Cool.
    I have a buddy at work who is always buying the primitive type bows.

(anything that is not a compound or crossbow type)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    Is this capable of cleanly taking a deer under 25 yds?

Absolutely. That is it's intended purpose and exactly what I bought it for.

There are (55# limbs available for it) or you can purchase the higher # weight complete package directly from the Spectre web site.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://xpectre.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Is this capable of cleanly taking a deer under 25 yds? If not is there one of higher draw weight available?
    A 45# bow will definitely take a deer at 25 yards.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Cool report! Something about taking a deer with a recurve....strirs the blood....

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Is this capable of cleanly taking a deer under 25 yds?

Absolutely. That is it's intended purpose and exactly what I bought it for.

There are (55# limbs available for it) or you can purchase the higher # weight complete package directly from the Spectre web site.

Here is a link to their web site.

Xpectre
    cool thanx. I want one!
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    I should add that the arrow rest is made of a super soft plastic. I understand WHY they made it that way so that it can be squished flat during storage.
    I (at first) thought it would be a problem but, it really was not and did not seem to affect practical accuracy.

I might make one and replace it but, maybe not.

Also you should take a bit of brightly colored paint (like DAY-GLO) and put a dab on the center serving of the bow string to help indicate the exact nocking point on the bow string. Not really necessary but, it could help you be a bit quicker into action in lower light situations.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Wonder why they don't make recurve limbs for the bow?

Administrator
    They could just as easily. I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Wonder why they don't make recurve limbs for the bow?

Links