fatty fob! (Key ring sap)

This is a discussion on fatty fob! (Key ring sap) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was talking to some friends about the holster business, and the subject came up of what to do with all the scrap leather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fatty fob! (Key ring sap)

So I was talking to some friends about the holster business, and the subject came up of what to do with all the scrap leather I produce. Well, there is a lot of it and for the most part it just sits in a pile in my shop. Well, one of my friends said I should make key fobs. At first I didn’t think much of the idea, but then I thought of a way I could make a key fob that fit right in with the rest of the stuff I do. So here it is. This “key fob” is about 2x3 inches and is filled with 4.5 oz of #9 lead shot. I gave myself a few test thwaps with it and I have no doubt you could cause some serious damage with this thing. I welcome any thoughts anyone might want to share.DSC_0122.JPG

Administrator
    That would be legal for buyers to possess in some states and prohibited in others as there are usually no size specifications as to what would be considered to be a Flat Sap or bludgeoning instrument.
    It would be a stretch in Pennsylvania for me to make the legal argument that I needed a Lead shot filled key fob.
    It would be kinda like drilling a hole in a set of brass Knucks and putting keys on it and then saying..."They are NOT Brass Knuckles...it's just my key fob."

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed- off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That would be legal for buyers to possess in some states and prohibited in others as there are usually no size specifications as to what would be considered to be a Flat Sap or bludgeoning instrument.
    It would be a stretch in Pennsylvania for me to make the legal argument that I needed a Lead shot filled key fob.
    It would be kinda like drilling a hole in a set of brass Knucks and putting keys on it and then saying..."They are NOT Brass Knuckles...it's just my key fob."

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed- off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    Yeah I know they are illegal in some places. in Iowa they are weapons but not offensive weapons, so you can carry them with a permit. Oddly enough brass knuckles ARE illegal here.

Pm me on a cost for one, thanks and I like the idea
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Can you put the basket weave on it just like a belt? Or maybe brown with a white thread...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

they are called a "slap" or "black jack" and they are illegal in most if not all states

I like the idea, not sure how well it would go in Tx, Gotta see about drilling a hole in a set of brass knuckles and useing it as a keyring for my motorcycle key lol
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I'd suggest using a circular piece of steel rather than the shot. It's a fine point but can make the difference

Oh, here's a nice history of black jacks and saps as well http://www.donrearic.com/sap.html

VIP Member
    Heck, I'm always trying to make my key ring SMALLER. I already lug around a good 4-5 lbs of keys (between work and personal).

Nice idea, though. Where legal.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I've got an old S&W Sap around here somewhere. Use it for whacking Northerns when I pull them in the boat. Pretty effective, and I have no doubt it would make someone think twice about what they're doing. This could be a good use for my scrap leather as well, even if I don't sell any.

Administrator
    What I would do if you intend to sell them is add a longer leather strap to either the key ring or stitch in a strap to the sap and place the ring at the end of it. That was you can add some power to a swing and I think it would then be more effective.

That is kind of a new twist on The Monkey Fist key-chain/fob where para-cord is used to enclose a large steel ball bearing.

BTW - I LOVE Flat Saps and have made some of them for LEO that are still able to carry them but, sadly in Pennsylvania they are not legal for general carry and are considered to be a bludgeoning instrument.

1st Post here. I thought I'd jump in on this one. I don't know the name of it but you can purchase them at bookstores, that's where I got mine. It looks exactly what the OP made but mine is bigger x2. The "intended" use for this is when you have your book open....that you lay it either at the top/middle/bottom of the page. The thinking is that it can free your hands or for a brand new book that is heavy and stiff - you lay this on the pages with the book open and the weight of it keeps the book open instead of laying the book down and in the open position with the pages facing the table etc. if you get up for a moment or so because that can be bad on the binding of most books.

Mine is 8" long, at the ends where it has the heavy ball inside it - it's 2" wide. The middle of this "thing" is 1 1/4" wide. So you basically have one big sap that is 8" long with the ends being 2 wide and the ends have a big balled protusion inside of it with quite a bit of weight. BTW it is made out of leather.

I use it quite often but I think I will make other plans for this one and include it in my EDC to see how it goes and pick up another the next time I'm in the book store.

Administrator
    Welcome SteelPockets - Now...you're off to a great start. Keep on posting.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    What I would do if you intend to sell them is add a longer leather strap to either the key ring or stitch in a strap to the sap and place the ring at the end of it. That was you can add some power to a swing and I think it would then be more effective.

That is kind of a new twist on The Monkey Fist key-chain/fob where para-cord is used to enclose a large steel ball bearing.

BTW - I LOVE Flat Saps and have made some of them for LEO that are still able to carry them but, sadly in Pennsylvania they are not legal for general carry and are considered to be a bludgeoning instrument.
    I have been carrying it to test out the idea. The way I hold it is to hold on to the keys and just pinch the sap about at the screw. I can get a pretty good swing that way, but it is still small enough that It really doesn't look like much.

Fill it with quarters and dimes, then it will be a change purse and not a sap.
    --Jason--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links