REVIEW: The Zero Tolerance 0561>>>>>>

This is a discussion on REVIEW: The Zero Tolerance 0561>>>>>> within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys - I just finished up my evaluation of the ZT 0561: REVIEW OF THE ZERO TOLERANCE 0561 Overall I like the knife, but ...

Thread: REVIEW: The Zero Tolerance 0561>>>>>>

REVIEW: The Zero Tolerance 0561>>>>>>

Hey guys - I just finished up my evaluation of the ZT 0561:

REVIEW OF THE ZERO TOLERANCE 0561

Overall I like the knife, but I did get an example with an unacceptably strong detent. So I'll be sending it along with my 0550 back to ZT for them to address the issue.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Thanks for the review, I've got an 0560 on the way and am excited to see if everything has worked out. Looks like a fantastic knife and I love the 3D machined titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Thanks for the review, I've got an 0560 on the way and am excited to see if everything has worked out. Looks like a fantastic knife and I love the 3D machined titanium.
    Actually I sold it. It just wasn't for me.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that R_J, my 0560 arrived Monday and besides the ball detent being a little stiff to release I love it.

Administrator
    It's an incredibly informative & beautifully written, complete review. You do a super nice write up.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Sorry to hear that R_J, my 0560 arrived Monday and besides the ball detent being a little stiff to release I love it.
    I wanted to love it. And if I didn't already have the Hinderer XM-24, I might have kept it. But for me, it's not a size I'll often carry, and I much prefer the fit and functionality of the XM-24

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's an incredibly informative & beautifully written, complete review. You do a super nice write up.
    Very generous of you - thanks!

I'll stick with my strider and blur for now.

sgb
    Nice write up though I'm partial to Emerson & Syderco myself.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

RKM
    You review expensive things. If I had the dough to add a ZT to my collection, I would. For now my main carry knives consist of Benchmade's Spydies and Emerson's.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Nice review. On a personal note, I really like my 0560 (Black scale version). I haven't put my 560 through its paces much, but I had an 0551 (An earlier ZT/Hinderer collaboration folder) which also has Elmax steel & I'm pretty happy with the steel. While I think that S30V/S35VN is fine & does pretty much everything one needs in a folder, Elmax does hold its edge longer from my experience w/o the possible chipping that can occur with longer lasting edge holding blades.

As for the comparison to the XM-18 or XM-24, I think your pictures are a little deceiving (They are VERY good, though). The XM-24's listed as being 5 5/8" closed with a 4" blade. That is considerably bigger than the 0560/0561's 5 1/16" closed length vs the XM-24's 5 5/8". That's a difference of just over 1/2". The blade length of the 560 (3 3/4") is right in between the 2 Hinderer models (A 1/4" either way). The XM-18's is 3 1/2" & the XM-24's is 4".

I obviously don't have either the 3 1/2" XM-18 or the XM-24. If I did, I'd probably get rid of the ZT, too, because it's so close to either of those models. I am getting a 3" XM-18, though (Supposed to be shipping out at the end of this month), but don't expect to be wanting to get rid of the ZT because it's a bit bigger than the smallest XM-18 model (4 1/8" closed with 3" blade).

While some will consider the 560 to be on the expensive side (Prices nowadays seems to be around $225-250+), it's a bargain compared to an actual Hinderer, especially is you're not fortunate enough to be able to get one directly from Hinderer.

My 560 also doesn't seem to have too stiff a detent, either. It flips open VERY smoothly & opens easily with just the thumb studs, too. It's a very good knife. ZT hit that one out of the park, IMHO.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    You review expensive things.
    If I simply reviewed them, I'd be much better off....unfortunately, I buy them.

Links