KaBar TDI--any reviews???

This is a discussion on KaBar TDI--any reviews??? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I'm going to buy this knife soon: http://www.lapolicegear.com/katdilawenkn.html Any owners care to review?? also..anyone ordered from lapolicegear.com??...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KaBar TDI--any reviews???

I think I'm going to buy this knife soon:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/katdilawenkn.html

Any owners care to review??

also..anyone ordered from lapolicegear.com??

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I purchased one about two months ago and after a week it resides in the box. The idea is neat but with the pistol grip angle I found myself continuing to draw it with my "trigger" finger pointed, as I would with a pistol. The blade is sharp and appears to be as strong as the other K-Bars but I still have found it uncomfortable to use with a trigger finger pointed out. For me I'll stick with my CQC-7 or a fixed blade but this one will go on eBay soon.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

interesting....any opinions about serrated vs. not??

It has a good reputation, but I've made other choices. I may pick one up for yuks-n-grins, eventually though.

Personal opinion: I don't like serrations. Most styles are hard to maintain, and even ones that are "easy" to stone take a significant amount of time- which usually means they won't get proper attention. For what it is, serrations are superfulous, to me. The TDI is a stabber/deep slasher. If you insert the blade and rip, I don't know that serrations really offer much more...... If it will be an EDC/utility blade, I might be more inclined for serrations. Just me......

Personal opinion: I don't like serrations. Most styles are hard to maintain, and even ones that are "easy" to stone take a significant amount of time- which usually means they won't get proper attention. For what it is, serrations are superfulous, to me. The TDI is a stabber/deep slasher. If you insert the blade and rip, I don't know that serrations really offer much more...... If it will be an EDC/utility blade, I might be more inclined for serrations. Just me......

My same feelings!

Something,
    you left off the starting quote, I just noticed it and added it, hope you don't mind, I think that's what you intended. - Tangle

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    I purchased one about two months ago and after a week it resides in the box. The idea is neat but with the pistol grip angle I found myself continuing to draw it with my "trigger" finger pointed, as I would with a pistol. The blade is sharp and appears to be as strong as the other K-Bars but I still have found it uncomfortable to use with a trigger finger pointed out. For me I'll stick with my CQC-7 or a fixed blade but this one will go on eBay soon.

Steve
    I'll buy the knife from you....IF it's in top condition, non serated, and under $27 shipped.

I carry the larger version on my Maxipedition pack... I"m thinking about getting this version as well, but we'll see.

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I will let you know on Monday weither it will still be for sale. Another member of my mma gym who is a knife fighter is going to play with it this weekend and let me know if she wants it.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Fed_wif_a_sig has a point:I keep trying to grip mine thumb forward like I do a conventional knife.Gotta say tho:it's up to Kbar's standard of workmanship.

Again, I have not played with one: does the sheath lend itself to "reverse" draw, with the edge up, blade protruding below your fist? That was the first method of deployment that occured to me- use with hooking/twisting punches.

Rob72:Seems like that'd work but I'll take a traditional straight or T-grip punching dagger over the TDI.A crossdraw slash like with a kukuri delivers a lot of power but seemed to me to defeat the purpose of the TDI.Like fed_wif_a_sig I put mine back into the box (mine's serrated if anyone's interested).
    *Shrug* Good knife;just not for me.

Senior Moderator
    I don't have a TDI, but have seriously considered getting one.

Rob, I'm pretty sure it lends itself to "reverse" draw. Actually I think that grip is also called the "ice pick". That was one of the reasons I liked it - that could be lightning fast to deploy that way - well, if you didn't slice yourself in the process.

- well, if you didn't slice yourself in the process.
    i was thinking about that...with little knife fighting training. i figured wearing that thing on my belt there would be a decent chance i'd slice my 'love handle' in process of drawing! haha

we'll see..i would be carrying this knife instead of a BUG....I know that might not make sense to most people...
    Last edited by something; September 15th, 2006 at 01:14 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Something,

A tip: you're leaving off the [quote] at the beginning of your quoted text and it's not showing up as a quote. I notice you have the slash quote at the end, so I assume you are trying to make it look like a quote.

If you want to, you can edit your post and add the [quote] and see if that's what you intended.

Oh, and I meant to add: That'd give a whole new meaning to the phrase "trimming the fat".

I dont like the sheath. Last year there was someone who made a better concealment sheah, for it. I dont have the link anymore, but I wish I did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links