new to any kind of defense, help please - Page 2

new to any kind of defense, help please

This is a discussion on new to any kind of defense, help please within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you ever find yourself in a confrontation with an attacker, or find him in your room or on top of you while asleep, there ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: new to any kind of defense, help please

If you ever find yourself in a confrontation with an attacker, or find him in your room or on top of you while asleep, there are three VERY simple moves that are easy and effective.
    1. Sharp, fast and HARD blow upward, towards the base of the nose (using the palm of your hand). Hurts like hell, will make the attacker tear up and may give your a few seconds to get away or get your baseball bat and USE IT...DO NOT wait for him to get up and overpower you. Before running away, consider proceeding with #2.
    2. Even more effective (I know because I had to use this tactic once...it was against another woman who attacked me, but it worked), sharp, fast and HARD blow to the adams apple/wind pipe (with your fist). Will cause the attacker to suddenly be unable to breath for several seconds, unless you actually break their trachea (highly unlikely), in which case he'll be completely incapacitated and will likely die without immediate intervention (I'm a physician).
    3. Finger to the eye and I mean really gouge it!

You should get a CCW permit. Unfortunately that will take time. Until then, get an assisted opening knife (like a switchblade, but legal). Smith and Wesson has some really good ones. Most importantly, put a strong lanyard (strap) on it so that it cannot be taken away from you. Carry that (open) and your POLICE STRENGTH pepper spray whenever you are alone at night, walking to your car. Speaking of pepper spray, they now have pepper spray "guns" that shoot over 12 feet and with high power. You can find them at any well stocked gun shop. And NEVER open your door to anyone you don't know. Also, never go to bed without a baseball bat, your pepper spray and your knife!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

TN maximum blade length on a knife for carry is 4", just so you know in case you go that route. Pepper spray is effective but be aware if you use it that you probably will get at least a little bit of spray back if you are in close quarters or there is a breeze from the wind or even a ceiling fan. Even a small amount can be quite a wake up call if you haven't experienced it, so be cautious with the spray and prepared so you don't incapacitate yourself while trying to defend yourself. Definitely get a good, bright (100-200 lumen) flashlight and don't be afraid to keep it in your hand to be used instantly. They can blind and distract someone for the brief moment you may need to get away.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Adameeski View Post
    TN maximum blade length on a knife for carry is 4", just so you know in case you go that route. Pepper spray is effective but be aware if you use it that you probably will get at least a little bit of spray back if you are in close quarters or there is a breeze from the wind or even a ceiling fan. Even a small amount can be quite a wake up call if you haven't experienced it, so be cautious with the spray and prepared so you don't incapacitate yourself while trying to defend yourself. Definitely get a good, bright (100-200 lumen) flashlight and don't be afraid to keep it in your hand to be used instantly. They can blind and distract someone for the brief moment you may need to get away.
    Very true! This is why you should get one of the new pepper spray guns. It shoots a high power stream, which is less likely to blow back into your face. I also agree that a high lumen (200) with a strobe function, like this one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-cr...102627?item=18 is great to have. You can find them at any well stocked gun shop (DO NOT BUY one of their expensive one's...ask them to show you all their lights). I have three like this one (except mine are made of metal) and they only cost about $30 buck. The gun shop where I got mine had them at the check out counter as "last minute impulse buys". Also, look at the top of this one...I'm sure you can see how the top could really inflict some pain. I keep one in my purse, one in my car and one at my bedside. Stun them first with the strobe function, then several sharp blows to the head/face may give you time to get to your knife, baseball bat, etc. Be ferocious, like you're fighting for your life, because you absolutely could be!!! Personally I'd get a gun. You don't need to have a permit to have one in your home. For someone new to guns, I'd recommend a revolver. In particular, I love my Ruger SP101 with 2 inch barrel. It shoots .357 (which, as a newbie, you COULD NOT handle, but it also shoots .38s, which you COULD handle!). I know others have said to get a 38 revolver, but as a newbie, it's hard to know which one to get. This particular revolver is known for being "built like a tank!". It's made of stainless steel which makes it heavy and therefore the recoil is easier to handle it. Consider getting a 4 inch barrel as the recoil will be even less. Buy one if you can, then practice, practice, practice!!!!! If you get one, make sure you get the DAO (double action only) model. What this means is that there are no hammers to worry about. You just put the bullets in, point and shoot! If you buy one, the salesman will show you how to load it. If you get one, buy Federal .38 in a home defense round. Again, the salesman will show you which type of ammo to get.

One other thing, in my post above, when I talk about #2 (blow to the Adams apple/throat), a variation of this, that is just as, if not more effective, is it to grab the throat around the trachea (windpipe)...and SQUEEZE as hard as you can!!!!! Guaranteed to surprise and incapacitate. Try grabbing your own. You'll see that it doesn't take much pressure at all to really hurt. The harder you squeeze, the harder it will be for him/her to breath. Let them struggle to breath for a few seconds...it won't hurt them, then when you let go, they'll cough and struggle to get their breath. Just an FYI.
    Last edited by dnilson; August 9th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

The OP created this thread back in June, I wonder what happened to him/her.

I wonder too. I wish she'd respond. FYI, regarding a blow to the throat or squeezing it, I saw a variation of it today and will definitely change my technique. If you've seen the new movie "Total Recall", you'll know what I'm talking about (but the actual blow happens so quickly it's easy to miss). There's a scene in the movie when he's taken his "phone" out from under the skin of his hand. When his "wife" is looking for him, she finds the guy who found the phone. When he won't answer her, she gives him a blow to the throat, but instead of using her fist, her thrust involves spreading her thumb away from her fingers, so that when she hits his throat, her thumb is on one side and her fingers are on the other. I can absolutely see how this would be much more effective. If this doesn't make sense, just say so and I'll try to explain it better (or just go see the movie, it was pretty good...very different from the original). Afterwards, he's grabbing his throat, coughing and gasping for breath, then she says, something like..."when you can start breathing again, maybe you'll start talking"!!! I'm telling you, it's one of the most vulnerable areas of the body and this is one of the easiest, most effective moves there is, but it seems like no one even knows about it.
    STEFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    I wonder too. I wish she'd respond. FYI, regarding a blow to the throat or squeezing it, I saw a variation of it today and will definitely change my technique. If you've seen the new movie "Total Recall", you'll know what I'm talking about (but the actual blow happens so quickly it's easy to miss). There's a scene in the movie when he's taken his "phone" out from under the skin of his hand. When his "wife" is looking for him, she finds the guy who found the phone. When he won't answer her, she gives him a blow to the throat, but instead of using her fist, her thrust involves spreading her thumb away from her fingers, so that when she hits his throat, her thumb is on one side and her fingers are on the other. I can absolutely see how this would be much more effective. If this doesn't make sense, just say so and I'll try to explain it better (or just go see the movie, it was pretty good...very different from the original). Afterwards, he's grabbing his throat, coughing and gasping for breath, then she says, something like..."when you can start breathing again, maybe you'll start talking"!!! I'm telling you, it's one of the most vulnerable areas of the body and this is one of the easiest, most effective moves there is, but it seems like no one even knows about it.
    Did she use the web of her hand between the thumb and pointing finger? Sort of if you are making a L or if you were trying to choke the person.

I didn't even know the movie was out.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    The OP created this thread back in June, I wonder what happened to him/her.
    I hope I'm wrong here because excellent advice was given but I leaning toward a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I hope I'm wrong here because excellent advice was given but I leaning toward a troll.
    No because the OP has only one post, a troll would be a nuisance and make dumb threads.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    Did she use the web of her hand between the thumb and pointing finger? Sort of if you are making a L or if you were trying to choke the person.

I didn't even know the movie was out.
    Yes, then a fast, HARD jab to the adams apple.

Leave strategically placed oven cleaner spray or wasp stopper spray aound the house, yard and car etc. May give you a bit of a distraction if an attack happens!

Let all your family / friends / especially LEO friends know of the stalker, make reports of the stalker and do whatever paperwork is necessary. I would suggest talking to Lima / she really rocks..... buti would think the jogging style pepper spray, that has the holder for your hand, to carry in your purse and when you know you will be moving alone, have it in your hand..... that is for the immediate.... learn self defense in many ways other that a gun, but definatly, look into the firearm end of it. just do not '' jump the gun// you should be proficient and comfortable with a gun before carrying or using one. Keep situational awareness up and if you know who the stalker is, well, that makes it easier.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

One piece of advice I have not seen given yet would be to NOT let the stalker know you are ramping up your self defense plan in any way. You would think that this would act as deterrent or discouragement. However, depending on how obsessed this person is, it may actually excite them and even cause them to escalate. Your best defense is the one your attacker is not aware of. This is a psychological problem and requires psychological defense tactics as well as the other ones discussed for physical self defense.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starnorma View Post
    to be truthful, because i'm generally surrounded by people- i have an enormous amount of family: i'm related to most people where i live and they're the protective of family kind- i'm a bit too trusting-and most of my favorite customers at work are police officers- being able to defend myself was never a major concern in my mind. However I am now being stalked and the only thing I can defend myself at the moment with is the normal precautions about never being alone, being precautious even if it seems paranoid. I realize though, the time may come when I am completely by myself. I need advice: how can I quickly find something to defend myself with? A friend recommended pepper sprays, but the only thing I know about them is that you can get some at Walmart. I plan to start learning how to properly shoot a gun, but that might take me awhile. I guess I could just really use whatever advice you'd be willing to give me.
    First, make sure OC (pepper spray) or whatever you choose to carry, is legal in your state. Some states, such as MI, both OC and stun guns are illegal for civilian carry. (stupid laws.) That said, if you want OC, some of the best stuff is Fox Labs or Sabre Red. Many big sporting goods stores carry one or both (bass pro shops, sportsmens warehouse, dick's, etc) or you can order them online from e-stores.

I got my mother a keychain canister of OC, and a stun gun, since she doesn't carry a firearm. I wanted her to have something.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post
    One piece of advice I have not seen given yet would be to NOT let the stalker know you are ramping up your self defense plan in any way. You would think that this would act as deterrent or discouragement. However, depending on how obsessed this person is, it may actually excite them and even cause them to escalate. Your best defense is the one your attacker is not aware of. This is a psychological problem and requires psychological defense tactics as well as the other ones discussed for physical self defense.
    you got one

Huh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links