Texas blade length laws

Texas blade length laws

This is a discussion on Texas blade length laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im new to this forum and Im sorry if Im posting in the wrong area. I have been looking up blade length laws for Texas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Texas blade length laws

Texas blade length laws

Im new to this forum and Im sorry if Im posting in the wrong area.

I have been looking up blade length laws for Texas but I keep getting different answers. I live in the San Antonio area, about an hour away and Im looking for a knife that would be legal for me to carry since I cant get my gun license yet. Also what are the laws on concealing knives and would it be an issue if the blade was curved? Like this one.
    Damascus Tiger Claw Knife AH-3613-D - Buy from By The Sword, Inc.

If it is only sharpened on one side and not more than an inch on the other side under 5.5" is legal,your tiger claw is a legal knife.
    (6) “Illegal Knife” means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one half inches;
    Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App.-Eastland 1989, pet. ref’d) To determine
    length, measure entire length of blade past handle, not just the sharpened portion of the
    blade. Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    Albert v. State, 659 S.W.2d 41 (Tex. App.-Houston [14
    th
    Dist.] 1983, pet. ref’d) Martial
    arts throwing star qualifies as “a hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
    thrown”.
    (C) dagger including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965) A knife slightly over seven
    inches in length when open, equipped with a double guard, blade that locks open and is
    sharpened on both sides of blade for over an inch meets the definition of a dagger.
    (D) bowie knife; Mireles v. State, 192 S.W. 241 (Tex. Crim. App. 1917) A knife in a scabbard with a blade
    nine inches long and a handle four or five inches long described as a butcher knife was
    embraced in the term “bowie knife” as defined by the Penal Code.
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    (7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious
    bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
    Spade115 and Snub44 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am a Texas cop, and it looks ok to me from the pics and description. There is nothing in the law here about curved blades, just double edged dirks, daggers and stilettos and blade (cutting edge) length.

That said, a knife to me is a last ditch weapon, and many times not a very good one if you do not have a LOT of training in how to use one or get really lucky or catch someone by surprise. (rule number one - do not be the one caught by surprise if possible).

A great line from a movie I once saw (cannot remember the title) from a guy in prison to another about why he killed another man, but it really does apply.

Not an exact quote, but close - "His first mistake? He decided to fight me. His second mistake, he pulled out a knife. His last mistake, he didn't know how to use it."
    Snub44 and GhostMaker like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

San Antonio proper has very strict knife length laws. I'm not a peace officer from that area but it was discussed at a gang Conference I went to an was apparently passed due to gang violence. Call your local law enforcement agency non emergency line, they should be able to help.

The Texas knife law is what everyone has basically said but citys have their ordinances (I dont think i spelled it right)

Where I got it from
    Knife Laws in San Antonio and Surrounding (law, legal) - City-Data Forum

Sec. 21-17. - Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5½) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.

(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:

(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;

(2) On his own premises or premises under his control;

(3) Traveling;

(4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or

(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.

(Code 1959, § 26-28.1)

Cross reference— Regulation of firearms and weapons, § 21-151 et seq.; possession of a knife, § 21-155.

Read more: Knife Laws in San Antonio and Surrounding (law, legal) - City-Data Forum
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

You folks in San Antone need to do something about that ordinance. It's kinda stupid. Just carry a fixed blade. It doesn't "open" ;)

Makes about as much sense as our lovely Austin, Texas City Ordinance stating that a pneumatic BB Gun (Air Powered) is a firearm by their definition and discharging one in the city limits is a Class C Misdemeanor if not in an approved range.

City Management is not known for having the most intelligence, after all.
    mr.stuart and GhostMaker like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Here's a previous thread on the topic:

New guy and revisiting TX knife laws.

Anyone know the laws in Missouri?

Can someone tell me the law for carrying a fixed blade knife? The blade is about 5 inches long and the overall length is about 10 inches.

Texas has state length limit of 5.5 blade length.

Knife Laws in Texas?

San Antonio has a no carry knife ordinance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianenzi View Post
    Can someone tell me the law for carrying a fixed blade knife? The blade is about 5 inches long and the overall length is about 10 inches.
    Houston (Harris County) doesn't have any asinine ordinances that we (I live in Spring) have to deal with. We go by Texas law here...thats it.

...legal and effective...I'm on my 4th...great little blades, I like the plain edge, but it comes in serrated: CRKT Bear Claw Review - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by dacora View Post
    Im new to this forum and Im sorry if Im posting in the wrong area.

I have been looking up blade length laws for Texas but I keep getting different answers. I live in the San Antonio area, about an hour away and Im looking for a knife that would be legal for me to carry since I cant get my gun license yet. Also what are the laws on concealing knives and would it be an issue if the blade was curved? Like this one.
    Damascus Tiger Claw Knife AH-3613-D - Buy from By The Sword, Inc.

...here in Donkeyville, we can't even legally use a slingshot...any projectile's verboten...

...the reading of SA's knife law is that a locking folder of exactly 5.5" is legal...I'm sure that's not what they meant...but that's what it says...

...single sharpened edge and not a Bowie style blade, oughta fly just fine...the LEGAL definitions of "dirks", "daggers", and "stillettos" need to be posted within the law...and it's a crying shame that a 3" Bowie knife's illegal in TEXAS, of all places...it just hasn't been a priority to get it all changed...the knife clubs are trying...
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastianenzi View Post
    ...a law making assisted opening knives legal in Texas has also dealt with those that open by "wrist action"...to our favor:

http://www.akti.org/news/governor-pe...kti-texas-bill

...and a law decriminalizing switchblades HB 1862 of 2013 has passed and is on the Guvnah's desk...he can sign, veto, or just let it become law...I think he has until the 16th to choose...so we're making progress: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...pdf#navpanes=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links