strong side vs weak side knife carry

This is a discussion on strong side vs weak side knife carry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I'm carrying strong side in a holster, I generally have a knife clipped in my right front pocket, which is primarily considered a "tool". ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: strong side vs weak side knife carry

If I'm carrying strong side in a holster, I generally have a knife clipped in my right front pocket, which is primarily considered a "tool". I've carried a knife, as a tool, since I was a kid and it was concidered OK to carry one to school! That ought to give you an idea as to how old I am. Some times I'll also have another knife clipped in a pocket on my weak side as well. If I'm wearing cargo pants and pocket carrying in my right front pocket, I generally just have the weak side knife. It all depends on where I'm going and what I plan on doing. Sometimes I may have a third knife on me. The Spyderco Delica I carry weak side I consider a self defense implement. The strong side knives are everyday tools for opening boxes, cutting string, cutting rope, bags of mulch, etc., etc.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    waved = serrated?
    Waved would be what Emerson offers. It's a small nub that sticks out. Spyderco offers it as well on a couple, I believe. This way, when you pull the knife from your pocket, it automatically catches inside your pocket and opens the blade. It's fast and reliable. I carried a couple different Emersons but went back to Striders.

Notice the piece on the back of the blade like a small hook on the Emerson CQC-8 at the top.

JoeK likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    It all works if you keep it simple and practice. I don't want more than two things in a pocket. To avoid flashing at the checkout, I keep wallet and 550 lumen defensive light (PC10) in front weak pocket. Front strong pocket holds keys and a utility folder for everyday tasks. Strong rear is for a pristine Kershaw leek, and weak rear for PM40 BUG. I carry the 1911 IWB strong side with mags and cell on weak side belt, so I don't flash when I answer the phone. The defensive knife would be my last, last resort. In the woods, it's a K-Bar crossdrawn.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

RKM
    I carry my knives mainly as a tool in my strong side pocket. I carry Emerson's, Spyderco's or Benchmades. Some modified with a zip-tie to replicated the wave feature. While it may look cheesy and ugly, the zip-tie is just as reliable as the real wave of my Emerson's and Spyderco Endura Wave. I've found that I can still reach my knives with my left hand in my right pocket and with the wave feature, the knife opens perfectly into a reverse grip.

My fixed blade (and folder) that I carry reversed on my other strong side is primarily a tool, but set up to draw for defensive use and I'd only go to it for that reason if I couldn't get to my handgun, for whatever reason. Mainly for me, I have the Strider SMF in my right front for normal cutting tasks and the Strider DB-L or EB/DB for heavy, forceful cutting, breaking or prying. I don't always carry the fixed blade when not at work, but I do always have it near by.

Two of these are what I usually carry. The first two are 3/16 wide and the bottom one is 1/4. For me, the fixed blade should be thick, capable of prying and overall, considerably stronger than the folder, but that's just me and what I need for my intended uses.

Guest1 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have always carried a knife on my weak side as a tool, not a weapon (even though it can be used as one). I do consider a knife to be a deadly weapon though. If I need a last ditch weapon... I carry a gun.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

That's what I was saying as well. If it were used as a weapon, it would likely be because someone is going for my handgun or someone is on top of me where my handgun is not accessible and I need to cut them off of me.

I'm put some time onto edged weapons training. It's really opened my eyes to what can be done by someone with a knife, as well as how quickly it can be done. Very worthwhile training.
    AZJD1968 likes this.

I carry an Emerson Combat Karambit in my weak side back pocket. With the Wave, it can be drawn and slashed in a single motion.

karambit3.jpg
    Spade115 and DPro.40 like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

waved = very cool. Gotta get one of those!
    Spade115 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I don't carry a knife. Maybe I should! I only carry an extra mag when I carry my P238. When I carry my G19 I don't. If I need more than 15 rounds, I'm not in a defensive situation, I'm in a firefight. I don't know so I'm asking; how often have concealed carriers had to use more than several rounds to end a violent encounter? Should I be carrying an extra mag?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Weak side - Delica wave or Endura wave - front pocket

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I don't carry a knife. Maybe I should! I only carry an extra mag when I carry my P238. When I carry my G19 I don't. If I need more than 15 rounds, I'm not in a defensive situation, I'm in a firefight. I don't know so I'm asking; how often have concealed carriers had to use more than several rounds to end a violent encounter? Should I be carrying an extra mag?
    It's not the most common thing, but it does happen. Also, it's not a bad idea to carry a spare mag for clearing malfunction so you don't have to use the same mag that may have caused an issue. For me, I train to shoot the threat to the ground. It will likely be a very fast set of 4 to 6 rounds. Depending if they go down or not, it may be more. The same may apply for any other threats as well. Now, when I needed a handgun for defense, once I fired one round and the next time none.

Likely? No, but it can't hurt and you just may be that 5% that needs more than 10 rounds. Look at that Carl's Jr episode where the two cops shot that guy. Both fired 5 rounds quickly. There was another instance, which I think was shown on "I Survived", where the woman fired an entire mag (though it was 22, but I imagine it would have been the same with 45) at one of the three assailants. He died outside eventually, and I believe the others ran him over as well, but that may have been a different event.

A firefight may very well be a defensive situation. There's that video where Deputy Dinkheller fires an entire mag from his Beretta 92 and then gets killed when he runs dry and fails to reload. I know these are cops, but it could happen to anyone… There's another where an officer pulled up on some property and the owner went after him with an AR. The officer had no reloads, I believe he was wounded but not mortally, and took the bad guy down with his last round as he was coming around the car.

There was another where a guy went to his friend's office for drinks. There was a few of them meeting. One guy robbed them and took them up to the office at gunpoint. The friend pulled his compact 1911 and emptied it at the guy, while the bad guy was emptying his handgun as well. Both were hit, the good guy in both hands. He reloaded his gun and the bad guy fled. I know it was only 7 rounds, but it was still a situation where an extra mag was needed.

Again, it's not all that common, but it certainly does happen. If you're already taking the steps necessary to defend yourself should the need arise, it makes sense to cary an extra mag. I carry one extra mag at all times and two at work.

As jon will tell you don't confuse the Buck with the true Strider though,its just a copy,although a good knife it's just a copy Strider allowed them to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Waved would be what Emerson offers. It's a small nub that sticks out. Spyderco offers it as well on a couple, I believe. This way, when you pull the knife from your pocket, it automatically catches inside your pocket and opens the blade. It's fast and reliable. I carried a couple different Emersons but went back to Striders.

Notice the piece on the back of the blade like a small hook on the Emerson CQC-8 at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I carry two,each side.There is always the "what-if".
    Yep...You never know...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'm put some time onto edged weapons training. It's really opened my eyes to what can be done by someone with a knife, as well as how quickly it can be done. Very worthwhile training.
    Hey Jon,

Do you recommend any reliable edge weapons trainers?
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links