strong side vs weak side knife carry

This is a discussion on strong side vs weak side knife carry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed in quite a few of the pics that folks have posted that most folks carry their knife on the same side as their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: strong side vs weak side knife carry

strong side vs weak side knife carry

I noticed in quite a few of the pics that folks have posted that most folks carry their knife on the same side as their firearm, what I'd call strong side.

I carry mine on my weak side so that each hand is available for a weapon. What is the logic for carrying both weapons on the same side vs one on each side?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Remove Ads

I carry two,each side.There is always the "what-if".
    sgb and JDE101 like this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I carry two,each side.There is always the "what-if".
    Agreed, I carry two as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I carry one, strong side, clipped to the top of my pocket. I carry it first and foremost as a tool, always have carried a knife and/or leatherman. For self defense it's last ditch anyways so I'm not relying on it for that role.
    Spade115 and AZJD1968 like this.

weak side with extra clipazine and pepper spray

Im with jay on this, Ive always carried a knife so its more of a tool stays on my right side back pocket next to my wallet someone ask's for my wallet will probably get the knife (if there that close might as well close the distance) also have a leatherman and a lighter on my belt. once I start carrying will be on weak side because I like under arm holsters or my vest has a gun pocket that I will modify for a better clasp (locking mechanism)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

if i'm carrying a strong side holstered gun, i will usually have two 3" blade folding knives clipped on the side of my front pockets: one on the strong side used primarily as a tool, and one on the weak side which has the pristine factory edge and is carried mainly as a weapon.

if i'm pocket carrying a firearm, i just carry a weak side tool knife. of course, it can also be used as a weapon.

i would guess that folks who carry both gun and knife on their strong side often use the knife as a tool and find it handier over there.

in this case, your own "logic" is not the determinant. a person's individual preference is justification enough. i look at it this way: any honest citizen who carries a gun and a knife is OK with me.
    Last edited by sensei2; June 20th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    JDE101 likes this.

My knife is a folding type in my off side pocket. Same as my keys just my wallet is strong side

Sent from my 300 baud modem

I guess for me the knife is a tool first, and only a last ditch weapon if needed, as others have said. However I don't ever really see a situation arising that would call for me having my knife in my reaction hand and my weapon in my strong hand. When I practice shooting, my grip on what will be my carry gun (once my permit arrives) is a two handed grip, that's why I don't feel it necessary to carry my knife on my reaction hand side, b/c if I ever had to shoot, I would want to be as confident as possible that I had maximum control over where that bullet goes. But again, I mainly do this because I just don't see myself employing these two tools at the same time.

mkh
    I carry mine clipped to my pocket on my strong side. My weak side has an extra magazine (sometimes 2) along with an Asp. If I carry a BUG it also goes weak side. You never know when your strong side arm will get incapacitated

I carry a waved Delica clipped to my weak side front pocket. If I somehow was in a situation where someone were to grab my pistol I imagine I would use my strong hand to attempt to maintain/gain control of the weapon. That leaves my weak hand free to persuade him to abandon his idea. Obviously I hope my strategy never gets tested.
    beararms likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I carry a waved Delica clipped to my weak side front pocket. If I somehow was in a situation where someone were to grab my pistol I imagine I would use my strong hand to attempt to maintain/gain control of the weapon. That leaves my weak hand free to persuade him to abandon his idea. Obviously I hope my strategy never gets tested.
    I came on to say basically the same thing. I've carried my waved Spyderco weak-side since I can't remember when, but also because I pocket carry on my strong side. Lately I have been thinking of getting away from pocket carry and going IWB, if I do that then I'll probable get another waved knife for strong side.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I carry my fixed blades (strider DB-L or EB/DB) in a reverse grip on my support side, mainly for weapon retention or defensive use - though I think it's very unlikely that it'll be needed for defensive use, right behind my extra mag(s). My folder is in my right side pocket.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Lots of good responses. I like the idea of carrying two. My CCW instructor carried 3 - one one each side and then a little one on a chain around his neck. Thought the one around the neck was cool but I worry that I'll fall on it and it breaks through the sheath...

waved = serrated?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links