Lighters

This is a discussion on Lighters within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering would anyone consider this a last ditch you have nothing else on you and its hit the fan weapon? I dont smoke ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Lighters

Lighters

I was wondering would anyone consider this a last ditch you have nothing else on you and its hit the fan weapon?

I dont smoke and always carry a zippo (I personally love the way they are) but have also wondered if anyone would consider this a useful striking tool or a last ditch throw at an opponent tool.

Sidenote (Dreaded Walmart)
    Has zippos for 10 in brushed chrome. :D
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Anything can be used as a weapon if you think about it. I would consider it's everyday usefulness before I added something to what I already lug around with me all day long, though.

A good "tactical" pen might be a better choice to fill the role you described. Especially if you do not smoke.
    Last edited by RoadRunner71; June 26th, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
    ericb327 and joker1 like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I carry both (sorta) lol

Left pocket
    Zebra F-402
    Pocket pen screwdriver (I work with women and on occassions fix heels, purse's earings, drawers,)
    Bic Mark It pen/sharpie

right pockets
    phone and small knife (work friendly knife since i work at a district)

Leatherman Wave and lighter in pouches on my belt
    and then my wallet with chain (2 foot)
    and a pair of mechanics gloves with a bandana on my left side. (Great back up for riding and sudden rain)

Also carry KD's (sunglasses yellow tint) apart from whatever glasses I am wearing if I decide to wear some locs or what not.

I like the weight, and once I had to swap boots for shoes to ride my blast, I noticed I started carrying more on me.

VIP Member
    I don't smoke, but I carry a lighter.

I don't whittle, but I carry a knife.

I don't rob banks, but I carry a gun.

If it can't be cut down, burn it down. If it can't be burnt down, shoot it down. If it can't be shot down, you are on your own.
    Spirit51, tubadude, RMS and 6 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Small Mag-lite would work well for striking in a hand to hand scenario much like the kubaton weapon. A bic pen would fairly well for stabbing vital areas. Back in the early 90s I would have said a motorola cell phone.

southwestern_bell_motorola_brick_cell_phone_web-658x1024.jpg
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Anything that 'loads' your fist is going to help with the damage caused by punches etc. The maglite xl50 is my new favorite flashlight, multi selection switch gives me 100% power, 50% power, or strobe. The strobe is bright and fast, more than enough to disorient someone. Its also hard to beat for the price. Plus it fits great in my hand for when I run at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

I would tend to agree with everyone else on the flashlight. A leather man would be a good "packing" tool if your hand is big. A lighter is a good thing to have if you need it though

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I'm trying to think of a situation where a zippo would make a decent weapon. Even loading your fist with it, due to its shape, may hurt you as much as the BG. If i'm in a situation that warrants using a zippo as a weapon, I did something gravely wrong. It also means that someone has my gun. Dont bring a zippo to a gun fight, just sayin.

Dont be this guy: West Virginia Ninja - YouTube

Why not just carry a rock? If you miss you can get another one for free. My Zippo's powder-coated black with an orange H-D eagle on one side. it's a beauty. My son gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago. No way I'm using it as a rock!
    Spade115 likes this.

if I thought I could pull a rock on my bike and not stratch it or drop it it would be golden. lol (cheap is always nice lol)

I have a zippo with the HD bar and shielf black background with barb wire around it. thats stored in a box now bought a cheapie from walmart.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I would much rather fight with no weapon than a lighter or flashlight. But then again, I have a lot of training and I'm much younger than most people on here.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I was wondering would anyone consider this a last ditch you have nothing else on you and its hit the fan weapon?
    A lighter?

I'll apologize up front for my rather abrupt answer of NO...I would never consider a cigarette lighter for anything other than what it is.....a cigarette lighter would never be on my list as a last ditch 'weapon' since it is not. If you're Bruce Willis and want to make it rain in Nakatomi Plaza a lighter will do fine if you have one. Since you don't smoke, then no need in filling your pockets with silly stuff. Your mind is the best weapon ever devised and it comes free at birth. Now....if you happen to be a member of say 12 hostages and your captor drags out a cigarette and asks if anyone has a light......it might very well come in handy and you more than likely won't be the first one shot over demands. Other than that...forget the extra baggage. A knife would be better, and lighter, and take up less space IMO. Any "last ditch" effort is pretty much a dismal point to even think about. I'd rather have a ball point pen than a cigarette lighter at the time actually. I could do more damage with that. Sticks and stones only get folks pissed. Grow your thumbnails long enough to cut into the jugular vein and get close enough to do it. Now that's a real plan.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    A lighter?

I'll apologize up front for my rather abrupt answer of NO...I would never consider a cigarette lighter for anything other than what it is.....a cigarette lighter would never be on my list as a last ditch 'weapon' since it is not. If you're Bruce Willis and want to make it rain in Nakatomi Plaza a lighter will do fine if you have one. Since you don't smoke, then no need in filling your pockets with silly stuff. Your mind is the best weapon ever devised and it comes free at birth. Now....if you happen to be a member of say 12 hostages and your captor drags out a cigarette and asks if anyone has a light......it might very well come in handy and you more than likely won't be the first one shot over demands. Other than that...forget the extra baggage. A knife would be better, and lighter, and take up less space IMO. Any "last ditch" effort is pretty much a dismal point to even think about. I'd rather have a ball point pen than a cigarette lighter at the time actually. I could do more damage with that. Sticks and stones only get folks pissed. Grow your thumbnails long enough to cut into the jugular vein and get close enough to do it. Now that's a real plan.
    If you are close enough to give a light you are also close enough for a quick thrust to the throat or eyes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If you are close enough to give a light you are also close enough for a quick thrust to the throat or eyes.
    Well....we're working on the scenario now. If the OP is taken hostage in a group and asked, the lighter would surely be requested to be tossed to the BG. Even bad guys keep space and distance as an advantage.
    You're right about the eyes though......a standard ball point pen in a last ditch effort should be applied there for maximum effect....temple secondary. Piercing the neck with ballpoint pen or sharpened thumbnail takes a lot of work to get under the skin and to target at depth. In thinking about getting close enough to use an improvised weapon, you're still closing the door on possibilities. My experience is that what you put in the box are plans. It's also my experience that even well laid plans don't always work out because you may very well plan for the unexpected, but the unexpected is really never a plan to start with. Outside the box is a whole different world. Last ditch efforts should never exist actually unless you're willing to become a martyr for the cause........let your own life go so that others might live.
    Your mind will keep you alive no matter what your body needs at the time. Everyone has weaknesses....even those who think they have the upper hand at the time and wish to crush you. A screwed up plan is always an opportunity. Every scenario has either advantages or disadvantages. You don't need to be a combat engineer, an ex-Marine, or a street cop to have an advantage. All you gotta do is think.

Fairbairn, page 29, claims a two to one chance of knocking someone out using a matchbox. Maybe he had access to those thin shaved wood matchboxes rather than cardboard. I am glad I googled because I had remembered it as a killing blow to the temple with a matchbox rather than a knockout blow to the jaw.

GetTough! - Fairbairn/Sykes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links