What I'm carrying in Afghanistan.

This is a discussion on What I'm carrying in Afghanistan. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter The NOSS Knife Tests Videos are back! The NOSS Destructive Test Vids are what originally "SOLD" me on Busse Combat Knives. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What I'm carrying in Afghanistan.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The NOSS Knife tests Videos are back!

The NOSS Destructive test Vids are what originally "SOLD" me on Busse Combat Knives.

Now I'm personally hooked. My little Mundane Chores camp knife is a Busse. My survival knife is now a Busse. My Bug Out Bag knife is a Busse. My "Beat The Crap Out Of It Around The House" knife is now a Busse & a few Safe Queen knives are Busse also.

It looks like NOSS combined his Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 into single longer videos. Possibly that is why they were gone for a while.

I honestly don't know of any other knives that can take this ultra-extreme amount of intentional abuse.

Though there are other fantastic knives "out there" for sure & I would never intentionally put any good knife through even a fraction of this unless my life depended on it.

These are LONG Vids now but, you can fast forward a bit.

That's crazy! I watched the first one and don't have time to watch the second one right now (I might go back to it) and I found myself feeling sorry for the knife. He put that thing through Hades and back. One real tough knife!

I tried looking these knives up but I couldn't tell if they make a folder or not? It looks like they're all fixed - which is cool.

Thanks for sharing.

2. Remove Ads

He has or had an intense video on Strider too. I like Busse knives a lot, I just never get to handle them. Here's a good Strider video though… This is the 3/16" DB in cpm 3v, not the normal 1/4" s30v which I have.

Here's my DB-L in use… I couldn't get enough leverage to kick the door in due to a partial wall and stairway very close behind me. Well, that, or I didn't eat my Wheaties… Both my EB/DB and SMF were sent to me by "DB" for a trade we're working on for my Benelli. I've spoken to him quite a bit about the Strider DB, so the geometry of the grinds and why it's issued to 0321 Marines and Ontario CA aircrew were explained to me. Very interesting stuff.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I know that there are knives out there that are simply art in how they are made and perform. However, I just can't make myself pay more for a knife that I would pay for many firearms! After all, they all are just sharpened steel shanks.

I carried a Benchmade "Doug Ritter" folder modeled on the Griptilian. It was my companion for years. I lost it last weekend surf fishing on Carolina Beach! It made me SICK! I laid in bed at night and thought about the loss. (Isn't that weird?) I ordered a new one. Nothing else I have suits me as well as that folder.

Like any tool, no one knife can do everything. I always carry a folder clipped to my front pocket. But depending on what I might be up to, there also may be a belt knife. Since I will never be deployed again, what I need most often is a quality 4" blade that holds and edge and is easily sharpened. With it I can slice a tomato or field dress a deer. I like the scandi grinds and have a pension for the "bushcraft" type blades like produced by Helle and other Scandinavian makers.

Administrator
    My latest knife purchase. The DuStar ARAD.
    The "attachment" PIC below is a used Israeli MIL knife that was listed on Ebay.
    I purchased a new one from a seller in Israel.
    Wow! It got here FAST!
    It just arrived at my door. It was $199.00 ($20.00 Shipping though) & I think worth every penny.
    I decided that I am going to have this one Laser Engraved and Safe-Queen it for my nephew.

Well, I'll be ordering another one & I'll be running the next one through its paces - first week of August (if it gets here in time) so...we'll see how it performs out in the real world.

Click on these two PICS to read about the knife & the SPECS.
    dustar1.jpgdustar2.jpg

dustarr.jpg
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (71.8 KB, 21 views)
    STEFO likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I was in Kandahar 2006-2007 while there I carried a Buck Strider Solutions knife in the SOE sheath it came with. It was always on my hip unless it was mounted on my Interceptor. In the accessory pouch I carried a Leatherman super tool. I had all my cutting tasks taken care of with that combo.

ESEE 3 MIL - A great knife.

----------------------------------------
    New Bingo Sites 2012

Yah I love it, best Knife I've ever carried. So comfortable on the belt, concealable, and keeps an edge like nothing else. Going to stick with ESEE knives I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    i LOVE the gerber infantry. I have the black version and its a TANK. I've broken Ka-bars, Sogs......bucks......i cant seem to break my gerber even when i try. I've used it as a fire starter, hammer, throwing piece , i've whacked things with it, stabbed things...it just wont die. Wish they were in production when i was deployed.....i would have given my Ka-bar in trade any day of the week!
    Yup its been an outstanding knife. I haven't given it half the beating it sounds like you have, so I'm glad to hear it can hold up to whatever I will give it in the future.
    QKShooter likes this.

Welcome to the forum. I really like that Gerber and may have to put it on my "To Buy" list
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Administrator
    Well, if you like ESEE knives then you can sometimes find a sweet price on an original new Ontario RAT (Randall Adventure Training) in D2 on Ebay for very reasonable prices.
    And they are GREAT super tough knives....but, the sheaths suck.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

While I don't consider myself a collector and I really don't buy knives, I do have quite a few and, growing up in farm country, have never left home without at least a small folder in my pocket. Most of the knives I have were given to me or found laying in the dirt. The first knife I bought (I didn't have much money and needed a fixed blade) was a SOG SealPup. I carried this on my armor in Afghanistan and carried an old Gerber folder in my pocket.

Fast forward to month 2 in Afghanistan and I had found a 2 inch folder in the dirt. It has no brand name, but can hold an edge like the best of 'em. I clipped that to my armor along side the SOG. After going through a hasty combat med class, I was picked up for convoy duty and issued a few nice things. Among them were a Benchmade Nimravus Tanto, a Gerber 06 Auto, and a Gerber Diesel multi-tool in stainless. I replaced my SOG with the Benchmade, left my 2" folder in place, replaced my Gerber folder with the issued Gerber Auto, and attached the Diesel to my belt.

Toward the end of my tour I got my hands on a Gerber Multi-plier 600and still carry that on my belt with a Winchester branded folder in my pocket. All told I think I have only spent maybe $100 on knives (the SealPup was deeply discounted), but have probably 30-40 sitting in random places throughout my house.
    QKShooter likes this.

My latest knife purchase. The DuStar ARAD.
    The "attachment" PIC below is a used Israeli MIL knife that was listed on Ebay.
    I purchased a new one from a seller in Israel.
    Wow! It got here FAST!
    It just arrived at my door. It was $199.00 ($20.00 Shipping though) & I think worth every penny.
    I decided that I am going to have this one Laser Engraved and Safe-Queen it for my nephew.

Well, I'll be ordering another one & I'll be running the next one through its paces - first week of August (if it gets here in time) so...we'll see how it performs out in the real world.

Click on these two PICS to read about the knife & the SPECS.
    dustar1.jpgdustar2.jpg

dustarr.jpg
    I would love a Dustar Arad!
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Howdy Dustover

Here is the link to BUSSE COMBAT Knife Company. Welcome to the Busse Combat Knife Company

Once they are gone off the BUSSE website they are pretty much gone for good...you'll then need to buy one off Ebay or someplace else on the web and it will cost you more $$$ than from Busse.

The Team Gemini is going to be a hot one. In fact it already is a hot one. I have mine already. The last time BUSSE made a Team Gemini was a long time ago. Like 20 years...and this new one has been completely revamped to balance perfectly and it's lighter.
    It's amazing HOW they made it lighter. They CNC machined it out under the handle and now it balances perfectly.

Lifetime Guarantee on the knife.
    BUSSE is one of the only knives that you can buy...use it for 5 years and sell it used and get at least the amount that you originally paid for it.

They are not furnished with sheaths though.

Oh great... Now I want one... which means I'll have to buy TWO so I can still have one after my GF sees it and says "Thanks hunny! How did you know I wanted a new knife?"
    QKShooter likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

MSGT/RET I still have mine it was issued to me at BeinHoa AFB in 1968. It now resides under the center console in my Dodge diesel pickup.

Rich
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links