What I'm carrying in Afghanistan.

This is a discussion on What I'm carrying in Afghanistan. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was recommend I post what knives I'm currently carrying in Afghanistan in my welcome thread, and thought it was a good idea. I'll start ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What I'm carrying in Afghanistan.

It was recommend I post what knives I'm currently carrying in Afghanistan in my welcome thread, and thought it was a good idea. I'll start by saying, I love knives, never go anywhere without one. All of my knives have held up to the beating Ive given them, and hold an edge very well.

My combat knife, that I wear on my armor, is the Gerber Infantry Knife. Its strong steel, holds an edge well, and I love the fact that in a survival situation I could tie it to a pole and make it into a spear. :)

The knife I wear on my belt, and carry with me anywhere on the FOB, is an ESEE 3MIL. Great concealable knife, not very big, but thats why I like it, and its sharp as hell. I use this knife for everything, from opening an MRE, to cutting rope, whatever, it takes a beating and holds an edge. Hands down the best knife I've ever owned. I love ESEE products.

The folder I carry in my pocket, is a 5.11 Tactical Folder. Great knife, have carried this for over a year and a half now, its tough as hell. Had a minor issue with screws coming loose after a lot of use, but easy to tighten back down.

Hope you all find this post informative.
    Last edited by Dustover; June 27th, 2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
    Cory1022 likes this.

Administrator
    ESEE 3 MIL - A great knife.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Have you taken a gander at the BUSSE Team Gemini yet?

Buy one while you can still get one. An incredible knife.

I always liked GERBER knives also but, personally I don't like serrations on that area of the blade since that is the area of the blade that I use for many common chores that don't need a serrated edge. I could see how the serrations could prove useful in Afghanistan though.
    Attached Images
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Have you taken a gander at the BUSSE Team Gemini yet?

Buy one while you can still get one. An incredible knife.

Never seen one before, looks nice though! I'll have to look into it. Based on your comment, Im guessing they sell out quick?

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. Back when I had my stint in combat we did not have many choices in knives so most of us carried something like this. Donít have mine anymore so I found a picture online.

RVN.jpg
    NH_Esau, WHEC724 and QKShooter like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Back when I had my stint in combat we did not have many choices in knives so most of us carried something like this. Don’t have mine anymore so I found a picture online.

RVN.jpg
    That hurts, msgt/ret. That looks exactly like what I wore on ship (non-combat, but well worn). It was stolen by a ninja-wanna-be roommate. That was 30 years or so ago, but I still have dreams where I find it again.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Back when I had my stint in combat we did not have many choices in knives so most of us carried something like this. Don’t have mine anymore so I found a picture online.

RVN.jpg
    Great looking knife. Probably beats the hell out of all three I have. Thank you for your service by the way.

Aw, man, I came here expecting to see some firepower! In my world there's two kinds of knives: steak and butter!

And 2nd that motion on appreciating you and your service.

Administrator
    Howdy Dustover

Here is the link to BUSSE COMBAT Knife Company. Welcome to the Busse Combat Knife Company

Once they are gone off the BUSSE website they are pretty much gone for good...you'll then need to buy one off Ebay or someplace else on the web and it will cost you more $$$ than from Busse.

The Team Gemini is going to be a hot one. In fact it already is a hot one. I have mine already. The last time BUSSE made a Team Gemini was a long time ago. Like 20 years...and this new one has been completely revamped to balance perfectly and it's lighter.
    It's amazing HOW they made it lighter. They CNC machined it out under the handle and now it balances perfectly.

Lifetime Guarantee on the knife.
    BUSSE is one of the only knives that you can buy...use it for 5 years and sell it used and get at least the amount that you originally paid for it.

They are not furnished with sheaths though.

Thank you for your service!
    QKShooter likes this.

sgb
    The BUSSE Team Gemini is a heck of a Blade. In my day it was a Camillus & Buck lockblade.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I rocked a Benchmade Nimravus on my belt, and a Spyderco Delica with the wave feature in my pocket for most of my Afghan tour.

I also had an Ontario Marine Raider Bowie, that saw a lot of use on out small F.O.B. for a myriad of tasks.

Thanks for your service.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I think all of the 5.11 folders are Made In China ~ You might be fighting them one of these days with the knife that they made for you.

Nice knives!

I managed to make it through with my personal Leatherman (still have it) and my issued bayonet...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Geeze I'm still carrying my Barlow knife. Why because Of our North Carolina knife laws here.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links