Knife Laws in the Carbibean

This is a discussion on Knife Laws in the Carbibean within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Yankeejib US Virgin Islands Code: § 2251. Carrying or using dangerous weapons (a) Whoever-- (1) has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Knife Laws in the Carbibean

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    US Virgin Islands Code:

§ 2251. Carrying or using dangerous weapons

(a) Whoever--

(1) has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, billy, sandclub, metal knuckles, bludgeon, switchblade knife or gravity knife or electric weapon or device; or

(2) with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, a dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon shall--

(A) be fined $5,000 and imprisoned not more than five (5) years; or

(B) if he has previously been convicted of a felony, or has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, any such weapon during the commission or attempted commission of a crime of violence (as defined in section 2253(d)(1) hereof) shall be fined $10,000 and imprisoned not more than fifteen (15) years, which penalty shall be in addition to the penalty provided for the commission of, or attempt to commit, the crime of violence.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Virgin Islands Code Unannotated Research Tool

Also, for fun
    http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf
    What's a dangerous knife? Mine have never lost control.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    It's all fine and dandy but if you get stopped and are caught carrying any kind of edged weapon, expect the legal consequences as well as a stay in jail.
    Why should I expect to stay in jail? From what has been posted regarding the regular transport of "dive knives" on and off of cruise ships and what I have seen of the actual law you can probably carry the kind of knife I had in mind (smaller locking blade folder) without too much trouble. What I am having trouble with is the legal definition of "dangerous" so I will probably just leave my Leatherman Micra on the boat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slosolo2 View Post
    Why should I expect to stay in jail? From what has been posted regarding the regular transport of "dive knives" on and off of cruise ships and what I have seen of the actual law you can probably carry the kind of knife I had in mind (smaller locking blade folder) without too much trouble. What I am having trouble with is the legal definition of "dangerous" so I will probably just leave my Leatherman Micra on the boat.
    Divers tend to refer to the knives as "diving tools" and they get seen as sports equipment by the powers that be;
    especially in places where divers frequent. Small folders won't be viewed as sports equipment, but may or may not
    be legal at your destination depending on their laws. It may seem backwards and paradoxical, but
    your diver's tool could be legal while your 3 inch folder might not be.

Contact the authorities at your destination, and contact the cruise company about their policies. I'd think that while
    in port in the US they are governed by the knife laws of whatever city and state you are departing from.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Are you going to carrying this knife for protection? I have sailed many a cruise. Just ask for steak knife at your first meal and every meal after that. Take the knife off the ship and right before you step back onto the ship drop the thing in the garbage.

Ships have metal detector and so do the ports of call.
    thought i was the only one who thinks like this.. my wife says im OCD LOL i say i was trained well..

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherFrank View Post
    thought i was the only one who thinks like this.. my wife says im OCD LOL i say i was trained well..
    Trained at Fagin's School for Wayward Youths were you?

Don't do it my friend. Get the walking stick (although t's possible to still get in trouble w/one on my island. Dang Brits)

Remember most of the carib. was settled by the British and although a great many are now independant the views on weapons remain.

Furthermore, because guns are illegal you will be facing things like machetes, cricket bats and the like. So a walking stick would be a lot more useful.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherFrank View Post
    I have always been like that. I run into a problem and look around to see what I can use to solve the problem. When I drive on the highway I like to drive in the left lane to see what I can find. One day I was drive down the highway left lane on shoulder, i found a open padlock so I picked it up. Family asks what are you going to do with a lock without a key.

I will do something with it . No more than 1/4 mile down the road, I look down and there is a key ring sititng in shoulder. Stop pick it up too. Yep, the key works the lock. Happy dance.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I took a cruise to the Bahama's and the Caribbean a couple of years ago and packed a cheaper SpiderCo blade for CC while out and about. The cruise line searched my checked luggage and confiscated the knife until return to original port in Florida. Security was very lax away from the ship, (read dangerous), but upon return you had to walk through metal detectors to re-board. The Bahama's was riddled with gang activity, drug sales, very shady with no police presence.

Watch each other's back and especially watch the women's drinks in your party as the locals will spike drinks in bars with roofies. One of the females I was traveling with was drugged and was sick for three days. The ship's Dr. stated that it was common place and she was lucky she made it back onboard. While I walked about freely my party decided not to leave the ship again after the incident.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links