Knife Laws in the Carbibean

This is a discussion on Knife Laws in the Carbibean within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have a link for laws about pocket knives in St. Maarten or St. Thomas? I will be going on a cruise for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Knife Laws in the Carbibean

Knife Laws in the Carbibean

Does anyone have a link for laws about pocket knives in St. Maarten or St. Thomas?
    I will be going on a cruise for the first time soon and I want to take a simple pocket knife like a Swiss army Ranger or a Spyderco Lady Bug but don't want to end up in trouble over it. All I have found so far is info about the various cruise line policy and lots of people questioning why you would ever consider taking a pocket knife on a cruise etc. Most of the pro knife responses have been running toward taking a cheap knife you don't care to have taken away. I couldn't care less about the knife I don't want to go to jail for it.

Assuming it looks legal on "paper" I won't take anything with an assist like a Kershaw or Gerber Fast Draw but I would like a thumb hole opener.
    Last edited by slosolo2; June 28th, 2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: can't edit title but should read Caribbean

2. Remove Ads

one thing to consider is that some companies have you walk through a metal detector as you return from ports of call. might want to verify that aspect in one of the cruising forums.
    Chad Rogers likes this.

What I read the security in port outside the us is easy. Lots of dive knives go in and out just entered to confirm legality of carrying ashore.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb413 View Post
    one thing to consider is that some companies have you walk through a metal detector as you return from ports of call. might want to verify that aspect in one of the cruising forums.
    Stole the words right out of my mouth.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

VIP Member
    There are some non-ferrous alternatives.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    To be on the safe side, I would advise against carrying knives outside of the US. Just carry a tactical flashlight.

US Virgin Islands Code:

§ 2251. Carrying or using dangerous weapons

(a) Whoever--

(1) has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, billy, sandclub, metal knuckles, bludgeon, switchblade knife or gravity knife or electric weapon or device; or

(2) with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, a dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon shall--

(A) be fined $5,000 and imprisoned not more than five (5) years; or

(B) if he has previously been convicted of a felony, or has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, any such weapon during the commission or attempted commission of a crime of violence (as defined in section 2253(d)(1) hereof) shall be fined $10,000 and imprisoned not more than fifteen (15) years, which penalty shall be in addition to the penalty provided for the commission of, or attempt to commit, the crime of violence.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Virgin Islands Code Unannotated Research Tool

Also, for fun
    http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    US Virgin Islands Code:

§ 2251. Carrying or using dangerous weapons

(a) Whoever--

(1) has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, billy, sandclub, metal knuckles, bludgeon, switchblade knife or gravity knife or electric weapon or device; or

(2) with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, a dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon shall--

(A) be fined $5,000 and imprisoned not more than five (5) years; or

(B) if he has previously been convicted of a felony, or has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, any such weapon during the commission or attempted commission of a crime of violence (as defined in section 2253(d)(1) hereof) shall be fined $10,000 and imprisoned not more than fifteen (15) years, which penalty shall be in addition to the penalty provided for the commission of, or attempt to commit, the crime of violence.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Virgin Islands Code Unannotated Research Tool

Also, for fun
    http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf
    Thanks. I've seen this and it was the "dangerous knife" that concerned me for St Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    There are some non-ferrous alternatives.
    Right. I believe Blackie Collins makes a fully synthetic, assisted opening knife. Some kind of fancy spring that doesn't set off a metal detector. It's dirt cheap, so I wouldn't expect it to last too long, but I'm sure there are higher quality alternatives.

Are you going to carrying this knife for protection? I have sailed many a cruise. Just ask for steak knife at your first meal and every meal after that. Take the knife off the ship and right before you step back onto the ship drop the thing in the garbage.

Ships have metal detector and so do the ports of call.
    CaptSmith and BrotherFrank like this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Are you going to carrying this knife for protection? I have sailed many a cruise. Just ask for steak knife at your first meal and every meal after that. Take the knife off the ship and right before you step back onto the ship drop the thing in the garbage.

Hitch, hate to say it, but that sounds like stealing to me. It may be something of trivial value but it still belongs
    to the cruise line.
    slosolo2 and Dandyone like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Right. I believe Blackie Collins makes a fully synthetic, assisted opening knife. Some kind of fancy spring that doesn't set off a metal detector. It's dirt cheap, so I wouldn't expect it to last too long, but I'm sure there are higher quality alternatives.
    Spidey,
    this is very cool and I hadn't ever heard of it before.
    Thanks

Blackie Collins Personal Self Defense Knife | Gunner Security

Cold Steel also has non-metallic knives,albeit fixed-blade. I would just carry a good tactical flashlight.But that's me. YMMV. Edited to add, item at gunner is $12, shipping $5.25?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post

It's all fine and dandy but if you get stopped and are caught carrying any kind of edged weapon, expect the legal consequences as well as a stay in jail.

Administrator
    Buy a heavy hardwood cane. It's more effective than a knife CQ anyway.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links