CRKT knives and sheaths.

This is a discussion on CRKT knives and sheaths. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my Ultima 7" with Veff Serrations and love it. I could have went with the 5" model but I thought it was ...

Thread: CRKT knives and sheaths.

CRKT knives and sheaths.

I just got my Ultima 7" with Veff Serrations and love it. I could have went with the 5" model but I thought it was too much handle for blade. It don't seem that much more to conceal compared to my Gerber 5" mark I boot knife. It falls in between with my Gerber Predator 9.5" and it thinner then both.

Also I found that CRKT makes a Merlin II sheath for fixed blades. It has a friction retention system and has the rotation ability of the Merlin I for folders. It says it also comes with an optional thumb break and you can buy extensions up to 8.5 " for blade length. It may be a moot point now that I carry guns but I have a shoulder holster for my Gerber (from before I was 21) and was thinking of making a holster better then it out of my holster parts drawer.

Anyone have an opinion about 5" vs. 7" fixed blades "defence" wise? Dose anyone have a Merlin II sheath and do they like it? I can't buy the sheaths till around christmas because they are all back ordered. I was able to play with a Merlin I at the store and it was pretty slick. I plan to make the shoulder rig a downward vertical cross draw and would not feel really comfortable with just friction retention.
    Attached Images
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

looks like a nice knife.

regarding the size...If you are comfortable with the longer blade length and can conceal it effectively, go for it. I personally don't carry anything over 5" simply because of concealment issues and because most of my training has been geared toward methods more conducive to smaller (3-5") blades.

If you're looking for a good sheath, you might try Survival Sheath They make a variety of sheaths for a reasonable price and would probably have something you could use.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

"..Gerber Predator 9.5".."

Did I miss a good sized knife of theirs to come out?

oops its only 9"(got the tape measure out forgot about the gard) and its about 15 years old. I don't really need it anymore because I have a machete now :P. It might even be a collector item seeing as they don't make it any more. Sorry I have no picture of it currently.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    oops its only 9"(got the tape measure out forgot about the gard) and its about 15 years old. I don't really need it anymore because I have a machete now :P. It might even be a collector item seeing as they don't make it any more. Sorry I have no picture of it currently.
    Okay is it anything like the 9" blade BMF Bowie? Curiosity has me on this one.

Ah Ha! A dim light just went on in my head! Is that the model of large BMF without the full handguard? Only the bottom one?

BTW- I'm kicking myself for not ordering 2 of the first production run Gerber BMF Bowie's with the 7-1/2" blades and non-taperd false edge profile.
    Last edited by BigEd63; September 18th, 2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: to add

CRKTs are nice. I have a M21. It's an option for me, although my EDC is a Benchmade Apparition with SOG Trident as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I just got my Ultima 7" with Veff Serrations and love it. I could have went with the 5" model but I thought it was too much handle for blade. It don't seem that much more to conceal compared to my Gerber 5" mark I boot knife. It falls in between with my Gerber Predator 9.5" and it thinner then both.

Also I found that CRKT makes a Merlin II sheath for fixed blades. It has a friction retention system and has the rotation ability of the Merlin I for folders. It says it also comes with an optional thumb break and you can buy extensions up to 8.5 " for blade length. It may be a moot point now that I carry guns but I have a shoulder holster for my Gerber (from before I was 21) and was thinking of making a holster better then it out of my holster parts drawer.

Anyone have an opinion about 5" vs. 7" fixed blades "defence" wise? Dose anyone have a Merlin II sheath and do they like it? I can't buy the sheaths till around christmas because they are all back ordered. I was able to play with a Merlin I at the store and it was pretty slick. I plan to make the shoulder rig a downward vertical cross draw and would not feel really comfortable with just friction retention.

What do you think about the Ultima? I got mine recently and like the blade, but the strap on leg sheath is pretty useless to me.

Frankly, I'd almost be willing to spend the money for a concealex sheath for it. Its not a "hunting knife" but it seems to have a lot of possibilities.

I just wouldnt be walking up and down the street with it strapped to my leg, however.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

That's why i want the sheath for it it can be expanded to 7.4" and has other benefits. I love the 7" ultma as it feels more balanced the the 5". I haven't tested the veff serrations on rope yet. I'm making a shoulder harness for the sheath out of an old galico harness.

Links