Baton for the home

This is a discussion on Baton for the home within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Louisville Slugger, if all else fails?...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Baton for the home

Louisville Slugger, if all else fails?

2. Remove Ads

IMO......home defense is one of those ordeals that less than lethal options shouldn't be sought. It's your last stand. You wish to put this at risk? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    This is the most cogent argument. Assume that your home invaders (plural) are armed with guns. Be appropriately armed and prepared to prevail against multiple armed home invaders.

A baton or a baseball bat simply is not adequate or sufficient.

OP, why are you artificially restricting yourself to a baton?

(Side Note: Yes, I have been through a very thorough professional baton class, taught by an ASP-certified instructor. I have a police-grade baton, I am trained in its use, I know how to use it, and I would never ever consider it for a home defense weapon.)
    My girlfriend is very very affraid of guns. (im not sure why). I have very little experience with guns and have a small fear of them from my own experiences in the past. I almost got my head blown off by a friend and a shotgun (litteraly).

I just want a weapon that is ideal in a homde defense situation. Maybe i should be in the home defence section reading up on what is already out there.

i just dont see many options that dont shoot bullets.

pepper spray can get on me and my dog. what do i do after i mase em' watch him roll around in my living room?

batons are weak and h2h

tasers are h2h

taser gun is really expensive

I guess it going to be a couple bats around the house huh?

Sorry you had such an unsafe experience with firearms. Perhaps your girlfriend was also traumatized somehow. It's not our place to interfere on the decisions of your household, so it's best for us to try to provide some practical suggestions within the boundaries you set.

You forget swords or crossbow (with deer hunting arrows). Again, you need training. And, again, you will be severely outgunned if the invader has firearms. Please look into the local law on weapon ownership and self defense before deciding on this route.

Bats are probably too long and too slow for indoor use, unless you have a huge house with a lot of space.

Some people seem to be able to keep fighting even after being tasered. I wouldn't rely on that. It's also a one shot thing. If you miss, tough luck.

Pepper spray may not be enough. Look on Youtube for all those guys being able to perform tasks after being sprayed. But if you're interested in that, look into PepperBall Technologies. They sell stuff that can be shot from airguns. That's a much better delivery system, especially if some distance is involved. Also, you may get a strong whiff of the pepper stuff, and you'll be in discomfort, if not agony.

Perhaps you need some sort of range weapon with more than one shot, and some sort of impact/cutting weapon for close range. You know, this is a LOT of training. More than you'll need for firearms. You'll basically need to know how to shoot, and shoot quickly and accurately under stress with the crossbow/PepperBall. That's like getting firearms training. And then you'll need to take years to learn to right with a stick or a sword. If you want to become a martial artist, here's a fun little project for you. But firearms would be simpler, and no less safe if handled properly.

Let me point out that the tactics suitable for the police may not be suitable for civilians. I never took a police course, but I have done stickfighting training alongside people who have. My impression is that police baton tactics have been formulated with potential lawsuits in mind: mostly disabling (temporarily) or pain compliance, nothing lethal. This sort of stuff works best when the opponent is unarmed or lightly armed, and there are multiple police officers. They hit the shin or the thigh to bring him down, avoiding news reports like "after being struck forcefully on the head, the unconscious prisoner was transported to the hospital where he died three days later. Here is a picture of his head with a big indentation. His family is suing the city for eight million dollars." This seems to echo what an officer said about his experience of using the baton. This sort of stuff may not be enough for you in the defense of your home against an invader. You will need every edge you can get. I'd recommend that you look for a Filipino stickfighting school. Maybe you'll be able to find something that suits your needs.

I will say, given 1911247's feedback, avoid those wussy collapsible batons. Get something that will cave a head in if you decide on a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Sorry you had such an unsafe experience with firearms. Perhaps your girlfriend was also traumatized somehow. It's not our place to interfere on the decisions of your household, so it's best for us to try to provide some practical suggestions within the boundaries you set.

You forget swords or crossbow (with deer hunting arrows). Again, you need training. And, again, you will be severely outgunned if the invader has firearms. Please look into the local law on weapon ownership and self defense before deciding on this route.

Bats are probably too long and too slow for indoor use, unless you have a huge house with a lot of space.

Some people seem to be able to keep fighting even after being tasered. I wouldn't rely on that. It's also a one shot thing. If you miss, tough luck.

Pepper spray may not be enough. Look on Youtube for all those guys being able to perform tasks after being sprayed. But if you're interested in that, look into PepperBall Technologies. They sell stuff that can be shot from airguns. That's a much better delivery system, especially if some distance is involved. Also, you may get a strong whiff of the pepper stuff, and you'll be in discomfort, if not agony.

Perhaps you need some sort of range weapon with more than one shot, and some sort of impact/cutting weapon for close range. You know, this is a LOT of training. More than you'll need for firearms. You'll basically need to know how to shoot, and shoot quickly and accurately under stress with the crossbow/PepperBall. That's like getting firearms training. And then you'll need to take years to learn to right with a stick or a sword. If you want to become a martial artist, here's a fun little project for you. But firearms would be simpler, and no less safe if handled properly.

Let me point out that the tactics suitable for the police may not be suitable for civilians. I never took a police course, but I have done stickfighting training alongside people who have. My impression is that police baton tactics have been formulated with potential lawsuits in mind: mostly disabling (temporarily) or pain compliance, nothing lethal. This sort of stuff works best when the opponent is unarmed or lightly armed, and there are multiple police officers. They hit the shin or the thigh to bring him down, avoiding news reports like "after being struck forcefully on the head, the unconscious prisoner was transported to the hospital where he died three days later. Here is a picture of his head with a big indentation. His family is suing the city for eight million dollars." This seems to echo what an officer said about his experience of using the baton. This sort of stuff may not be enough for you in the defense of your home against an invader. You will need every edge you can get. I'd recommend that you look for a Filipino stickfighting school. Maybe you'll be able to find something that suits your needs.

I will say, given 1911247's feedback, avoid those wussy collapsible batons. Get something that will cave a head in if you decide on a stick.
    thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    I guess it going to be a couple bats around the house huh?
    I respectfully encourage you to:
    1) Get some firearms training from a qualified instructor.
    2) Upgrade to a non-hoplophobic Girlfriend 2.0.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    I respectfully encourage you to:
    1) Get some firearms training from a qualified instructor.
    2) Upgrade to a non-hoplophobic Girlfriend 2.0.
    Instead of this... see if your girlfriend would be interested in taking a firearms training class WITH you. Maybe when she sees that the danger does not lie with the gun, but instead, the person behind the gun, she would change her opinion of them. If not, there are tons of self defense weapons, mainly personal choice, they all have their advantages and disadvantages, but having something is way better than having nothing. Tasers are a decent choice, yes they are expensive, but they are extremely effective. Mb1900 mentioned some people can still fight after being tasered, but that's about 1 in 1,000 or less? And even if you do miss it still functions as a very powerful stun gun.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Instead of this... see if your girlfriend would be interested in taking a firearms training class WITH you.
    This is a vastly superior solution. Kudos.
    Burns likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links