Recommendation: Defensive blade: Cold Steel Ti - Lite vs... ???? - Page 2

Recommendation: Defensive blade: Cold Steel Ti - Lite vs... ????

This is a discussion on Recommendation: Defensive blade: Cold Steel Ti - Lite vs... ???? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried the Recon Folder with a serrated blade regularly for over a year now. I absolutely love it, everything I look for in a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Recommendation: Defensive blade: Cold Steel Ti - Lite vs... ????

I've carried the Recon Folder with a serrated blade regularly for over a year now. I absolutely love it, everything I look for in a non-auto folder and I forget I'm carrying it because it's so lightweight.

Nothing terribly wrong with Cold Steel, just not sure they're as good as their marketing. I have shoe boxes full of most ALL reputable brands of locking folders from Al Mar to Zero Tolerance. If you're looking for a utility tool most any will do. If you're looking for a SD weapon, I've gotta' recommend a fixed blade. The fixed KaBar TDI series, Spyderco Moran, even some CRKT models are soooo much faster into the fight. Remember, fine motor skills get stupid clumsy with an adrenaline-dump. Scrambling for little thumb studs, hooks, holes or buttons when things instantly turn tangled & dark can feel like you're wearing oven mitts! You are NOT Michael Janich no matter how fast you look in the mirror. A fixed blade completely removes the most complex maneuver in the sequence. If you're serious, then get...serious!
    STEFO likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Nothing terribly wrong with Cold Steel, just not sure they're as good as their marketing. I have shoe boxes full of most ALL reputable brands of locking folders from Al Mar to Zero Tolerance. If you're looking for a utility tool most any will do. If you're looking for a SD weapon, I've gotta' recommend a fixed blade. The fixed KaBar TDI series, Spyderco Moran, even some CRKT models are soooo much faster into the fight. Remember, fine motor skills get stupid clumsy with an adrenaline-dump. Scrambling for little thumb studs, hooks, holes or buttons when things instantly turn tangled & dark can feel like you're wearing oven mitts! You are NOT Michael Janich no matter how fast you look in the mirror. A fixed blade completely removes the most complex maneuver in the sequence. If you're serious, then get...serious!
    Yeah reminds me of that Will Smith movie Legend - when he cut himself down from a trap and fell on his folder - into his leg!

I am not a Cold Steel fan. They make decent knives, but better can be had from Spyderco for similar money. I carry an Emerson Kerambit weak side for weapon retention purposes on duty, but for utility use on my strong side it an old school Spyderco Manix, the original large one. I ordered the new large one today actually for $103. Excellent knife for the money, and the original can go into retirement. Fixed blades are without a doubt the fastest, but I have trouble getting them on the belt with all the other crap I have to carry.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links