Need help finding a quality EDC knife.

This is a discussion on Need help finding a quality EDC knife. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to spend $100 or less. I own a horse farm and will be using this knife on a daily basis for general chores. My ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need help finding a quality EDC knife.

Looking to spend $100 or less. I own a horse farm and will be using this knife on a daily basis for general chores. My wife bought me a custom made fixed blade with leather sheath but it's too nice to abuse it everyday. I will try to get pictures up of it soon.

So I'm looking for something durable that will sharpen back up well and easily deployed for emergency reasons (horse get stuck in a rope) as well as SD because you never know.

2. Remove Ads

Benchmade Adamas for me! Good steel and holds a great edge! Also possibly one of the most solid knives I own. A little more expensive but I will last forever! I think I paid $160 for mine. I use it every day and I work construction. Opening boxes, cutting ropes, and it is great. It's worth the extra pinch on the wallet in my opinion. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I like the Benchmade Griptilian and SpyderCo Endura. Both have a large hole in the blade for opening rather than a stud so will be fine for lefties. Both have movable clips to accomidate lefties.
    HKR and DefConGun like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

sgb
    Benchmade Griptilian 551, American made and under $100. Uses American 154CM stainless steel which holds an edge much longer than the less expensive knives using Japanese AUS 8 and Chinese 8Cr14MoV stainless steels.

21YKH88013L._AA300_.jpg

If you don't mind spending a little more look at the Emerson Horseman. If you order directly from Emerson they will put the pocket clip on the other side for left handed carry for $25.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by hicksma88 View Post
    Looking to spend $100 or less. I own a horse farm and will be using this knife on a daily basis for general chores...

So I'm looking for something durable that will sharpen back up well and easily deployed for emergency reasons (horse get stuck in a rope) as well as SD because you never know.
    I understand budgets completely. But I'd urge you to take another week or two tuck away an extra $30 for a ZT 0350 ST. When I read that you need it for I can't help but think how perfect it would be for you. If you can find a retailer that sells one just to try it in your hand I urge you to do that... once you hold it you'll understand.

EDIT: A concise review of the blade for you: Zero Tolerance - 0350 Folding Knife
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Benchmade Griptilian or Mini-Griptilian are solid knives at close to $100.

SOG Twitch XL is the easiest opening knife i've found except for the Emerson Wave knives. i use the Twitch for left-hand carry, because my left hand is a bit handicapped because of a stroke, and i can't open knives with blade-holes or blade-buttons very well with that hand. the Twitch is opened by pushing on the blade guard with the index finger, which protrudes when the knife is closed. a spring assist completes the opening process. much easier for me than trying to use my thumb to deploy the blade. the disadvantage, compared to the Griptilians, is that the Twitch feels less rugged, and uses a lesser blade steel. i bought one on Ebay for about $50.

both the Griptilians and the Twitch XL are offered in different blade shapes.

Senior Moderator
    Have you thought about gerber of k-bar? They are decent knifes and fairly cheap.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I also have a Gerber F.A.S.T. which was under $50.00, you can get at Walmart and is really fast opening and good quality. They offer 2 sizes if i remember correctly.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-22-01967/19342372

I picked up my Benchmade online for $72.00 (retails for $115.00) and now I know what a quality knife feels like.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/555HG

Distinguished Member
    Another vote for Griptilian. I have a full-size for EDC, and a Mini- for when I go to towns where the law limits blades to 3".

I have a few, but this one always seems to be the one in my pocket. Benchmade Osborne. Thin, light, and very well made. I found a deal for $105, and it is worth that all day long.

13960SBK_benchmade_harley_blue.jpg

My EDC is a Buck Vantage Select. (model 0345BKS-B)
    Here's more info:
    BUCK
    It's light weight, and very well made for the money. (Less than $30)
    With practice, I can deploy it as fast as some of my autos.
    The clip is reversible, so it's completely ambidextrous; I carry mine in my left pocket.

My favorite feature: MADE IN THE USA

I've narrowed it down to two.

The first is Emerson Horseman http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Emerson-Horseman--676

The second is the Benchmade Griptilian
    http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Benchmade-Griptilian--404

Which do you think will be better for the abuse it will see on a farm?

Thanks for all the input.

sgb
    I'd go with the Emerson, but then I'm an Emerson Fan.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member
    Both give you the same steel, both with very good heat-treatment. The Emerson has G10 grips, but the Benchmade Noryl and Valox are still very grippy. I also like Benchmade's AXIS lock much better than liner locks, which is what the Emerson has. A clean, well-oiled AXIS will open just as fast as -if not faster than- an assisted open.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but with the Emerson costing half-again as much, I'd choose the Benchmade every time.

The Griptillian 555 has a great work blade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links