Favorite EDC Folding Knives

Favorite EDC Folding Knives

This is a discussion on Favorite EDC Folding Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By Uli Gebhard , Suarez International Staff Instructor Los Angeles Up until a couple of years ago when I first trained with Mike Janich of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dono

Thread: Favorite EDC Folding Knives

Thumbs up Favorite EDC Folding Knives

By Uli Gebhard, Suarez International Staff Instructor Los Angeles

Up until a couple of years ago when I first trained with Mike Janich of Martial Blade Concepts, I carried a folding knife as a hybrid of tool and backup weapon. About a dozen knives later and working with the MBC material for several years, things have crystallised to three knives that fit the bill of a defensive knife best.

Left to right: Cold Steel Voyager L Clip Point, Spyderco Delica, Blackhawk! Be Wharned

#1 - Blackhawk Be Wharned

The knife that I found works best for me is the Blackhawk “Be Wharned”. The Wharncliffe blade was chosen to allow for a maximum of cutting power when using pressure cuts and paired with a very pointed tip that would allow ease of penetration when needed. I used this knife to demonstrate some of the techniques on our trusty training tool “Porkman” and it effortlessly created deep cuts that would be debilitating when inflicted on an attacker.

"Porkman" Demonstration during a Defensive Knife Course - the "Be Wharned" cut effortlessly through thick denim fabric deep into the simulated muscle.

The knife features a liner lock. In most cases, I try to stay away from this type of lock, due to the fact that the majority of them do not retain the blade very well in the closed position. This one however, has a pressed-in ball bearing that works with a detent in the blade to accomplish this task.

The internals of the Be Wharned - the Ball Bearing is visible as bright spot above the serrations of the liner lock

Once the blade is deployed, the slight curve on top of the blade accommodates the thumb perfectly and provides good purchase for pressure cuts. Rounding things off with a tapered grip and G10 scales, this knife fits my hand as if it were made for it.
    Now after this laudatio: this knife is not a utility tool that you want to use to cut hot dogs with during a Cub Scout outing. It is a purpose-designed defensive knife and it will do whatever you need it to in its intended function. Tip is skinny and most definitely not intended as a screwdriver or for prying – if you need to do stuff like that, use an appropriate tool!

#2 – Spyderco Delica

The Delica may well be the most underestimated quality knife out there. With a mere 3” of blade length some may call it “girly”. The nice thing about the small size of the knife is that I can use it in the vast majority of settings at any given time to cut open boxes, cut fruits for the kids or open a letter that just landed in my inbox. The knife is small enough not to be perceived as a threat.
    Rewind to the first Defensive Knife course I taught back in 2010. We had one girl in the class and she borrowed this knife when it was her turn to take a swing at Porkman. She landed a quick, hard swipe and wondered if she had inflicted any noteworthy damage at all. A closer look revealed that the cut had gone all the way down to the simulated bone.

One fast hard swipe - and the cut went straight to the "bone"

Small, benign and dangerously efficient - the Delica is a true go-to knife

A couple of observations on the design of the Delica:
    The knife is extremely flat, which makes it very easy to carry clipped into a pocket or waistband. The clip allows for tip up, tip down, left hand and right hand carry. Ladies: this knife does hardly add any bulk even with fashionable clothes of a tighter cut. It can be stowed away out of sight yet can be deployed if –heaven forbid- the situation calls for it. The Girlfriend of one of our students had to do just that and took two would-be rapists out of the fight.
    The cutting edge has only a very slight curve that leads up to a pointy tip. These are the features that provide a blade shape very similar to the Be Wharned and provide outstanding cutting power and penetration. Some of the newer versions have a full flat grind. When tested on porkman this improved blade shape made cuts quite a bit easier than with the classic hollow grind.
    My Delica features a plain black handle and hollow grind and is the knife that I use the most thanks to its benign appearance.

#3 - Cold Steel Voyager Clip Point L

I have this knife set up for left hand deployment, something that is not possible with the older versions since the pocket clip was not reversible. This newer version came with two of them and since the blade shape makes inertia-opening incredibly easy, I decided to test this one out as a dedicated leftie. In the past, I used an older Axis lock version of the Cold Steel AK 47 in that role, but the bulk of that knife turned out to be not quite comfortable to ride in my left front pocket all day long. The Voyager L on the other hand, does not bother me at all.
    The blade is very sharp out of the box and the full flat grind provides a very easy cut with little resistance. The only thing that detracts a bit from the cutting performance is the shape of the blade that sweeps up towards the tip and does not allow keeping full pressure on target throughout the entire cut. Nonetheless, when tested on porkman, it still left a devastating gash.
    The Tri-Ad lock works very well. It engages reliably regardless which opening method I tried and unlocks easily once the blade has to go home.

The handle features a deep choil that allows for a very secure grip whether one needs to guide the knife through a cut or anchor it for a thrust.

The deep choil (cutout) behind the joint provides a solid seat for the index finger

The Voyager is a bit large for use on day-to-day cutting tasks, but a solid knife overall.
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

The medium sized version with its 3" blade should be just about as versatile as the Delica, probably even a bit better since the slightly thicker grip will fill the hand a bit better - something I intend to evaluate in the near future.
    Why there are fixed blade knives such as the TSD Grab N' Stab not part of this discussion? A properly carried fixed blade will deploy much quicker and eliminates the critical opening process. The answer is quite simple. Here in California only folding knives are legal for concealed carry.

That’s it. Those are the three knives that I carry on a daily basis… let’s hear about yours.

Uli Gebhard is Suarez International Instructor in the the greater Los Angeles Area. He teaches Handgun, Rifle and Knife and HRO-CQB material.
    Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

VIP Member
    I carry an Emerson CQC-11. I absolutely love this knife.

It is an auto-opener, but NOT a push button auto. This knife can open on the draw (or not, depends on how you draw it), which actually makes it faster to bring to bear than any push button auto. Also, it's the easiest one handed opener I've used. This knife is very sharp out of the box, and holds it's edge very well. It has a liner lock, and a pocket clip. The clip is NOT reversible, but it can be purchased specific for left handed use.
    This is a large knife with a blade length of 4.1 inches and an overall length of 9.275 inches, and is heavy by some standards at 5.1 oz. But it is very comfortable in the hand and cuts effortlessly.
    Emerson's web site shows that this knife is currently unavailable, but I don't know how accurate that is, since I purchased mine while it said the same thing.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

555.jpg

My newest and now favorite EDC. Very similar to your Delica.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    555.jpg

My newest and now favorite EDC. Very similar to your Delica.
    *makes joke about 5 lb weight*

;) jk
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I am in the PNW and the laws are regional by city. The places I go the limit of the blade is under 3" to 4". I really hate when they do that. It makes you have to have multiple blades based on where you are going.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I am in the PNW and the laws are regional by city. The places I go the limit of the blade is under 3" to 4". I really hate when they do that. It makes you have to have multiple blades based on where you are going.
    I have the same problem. I have in-laws in Moses Lake, where there is a 3" limit. I bought a mini-grip for when I go there (and similar places).

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post

....... my EDC as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I actually use that #5 weight daily. I have a bad rotator and doc wants light use throughout the day. It's getting much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    *makes joke about 5 lb weight*

;) jk
    Burns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    i also live in Washington State, so i usually carry a Mini-Griptilian and/or an Emerson CQC-14. both have blades under 3". the Mini-Grip gets used as a tool. the Emerson has a full-size handle for a solid grip, and never gets used for routine cutting chores. i also have a couple of older Benchmades with 3" blades.

i do have a fancy Benchmade with a Wharnecliffe blade that i bought on a whim because i liked its looks, but i've never carried it. too pretty, i guess - so it's a safe queen. i had not heard of this blade shape before seeing this knife. but i'm glad to know it can be considered as an effective SD knife.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    [...]I do have a fancy Benchmade with a Wharnecliffe blade that i bought on a whim because i liked its looks, but i've never carried it. too pretty, i guess - so it's a safe queen. i had not heard of this blade shape before seeing this knife. but i'm glad to know it can be considered as an effective SD knife.
    If you get the chance, please post a picture. Benchmade's axis lock paired with a Wharnie sounds like a highly interesting combination
    Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

I absolutely LOVE the S&W M&P knives. This is the best one...in my opinion. The handle is aluminum, but has some kind of rubber like coating, which gives you an AWSOME grip. Also it's larger and heavier than it looks. Every person I've shown it to has said "WOW" I want one of those!!! The other thing I really like about it is that it's an assisted open design, but is so fast that it's almost like a switch blade. EVERY person I've shown it to has said "WOW...I want one of these!!!". Actually I have 3. I keep one in my purse (always in a way that makes it easy and fast to get to) or in a pocket, one in my car and one under my pillow...next to my 9mm Shield (I have big thick pillows). As a single woman, you can never be too prepared.

Product: M&P Black Handle Black 1/2 Serrated Blade Knife Take a look. I tried to take a pic, but couldn't get it to copy.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post

Emerson's web site shows that this knife is currently unavailable, but I don't know how accurate that is, since I purchased mine while it said the same thing.
    I get the impression that Emerson makes his knives in batches, that's why some models tend to "disappear" periodically, but I don't know that for sure. Sometimes I carry an Emerson Ubr Commander, since it is legal here in Maryland.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I absolutely LOVE the S&W M&P knives. For a woman, I think the one shown below is the best because it looks so intimidating. The handle is aluminum, but has rubber inserts, which gives you an AWESOME grip. Also it's larger and much heavier than it looks. Every person I've shown it to has said "WOW I want one of those"!!! The other thing I really like about it is that it's an assisted open design, but is so fast it's almost like a switch blade (it actually has a safety). After the safety is released (I keep mine unlocked), you just pull on the knob on the top and it snaps open and locks! I like them so much that I have 3. I keep one in my purse (in a way that makes it easy and fast to get to) or in a pocket, one in my car and one under my pillow...next to my small flash light and my 9mm Shield (I have big thick pillows). I also have a 12 gauge and a "Judge" under my bed, but if I woke up with someone in my room, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get to them. As a single woman who lives alone, you can never be too prepared. They're very inexpensive, but don't look, feel or behave like cheap knives. The only thing I don't like about this model, is that it doesn't have a hole for a lanyard, but I put one around the clip, that way at least I wouldn't drop it.

Take a look! I tried to take a pic, but couldn't get it to copy. Product: M&P Black Handle Black 1/2 Serrated Blade Knife
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Links