Self defense items that look like something else?

This is a discussion on Self defense items that look like something else? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry a handgun but getting ready for a vacation that just won't allow that option. Looking for other alternatives. Below are a couple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self defense items that look like something else?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

I usually carry a handgun but getting ready for a vacation that just won't allow that option. Looking for other alternatives. Below are a couple I'm considering. I also have a walking cane from http://www.canemasters.com .

What I'd really like is what looks like sunscreen but it Freeze Plus P or some other equivalent spray.

Anyone have other suggestions? Links appreciated.

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/pager.htm

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/p...unningring.php
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    ArmyCop

Don't waste your $$ on the ring as it does not deliver enough product to incapacitate.

Well, on the Internet you can find the Lipstick OC Spray & the Outdated Looking Cell Phone OC (haha) also the Cell Phone Stun Gun - The OC Personal Pager & quite a few others.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The cane is a good idea although I'd stay away from the ones with the ridges (?) or the canemasters logo. Putting stuff like that on a cane designed to be "low key" kinda defeats the purpose.

I'd also go with a small flashlight. I have a Surefire E2d that I really like but any similar-sized light will work also.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    With respect I say,stay away from the sites that sell the $3. boot knives and all the fantasy/ninja crappola. This IMO.--------

Some practice and good teaching materials can turn a cane into one mean close quarters weapon. Heck, a sock and a roll of quarters is pretty mean as well. I used to sell several different pepper sprays at gun shows and I'd avoid the gimmicky sprays. Most use inferior content and are well known for slowly losing pressure. A real bummer when you go to use it!

Two I know of that still seem to keep a good rep is Fox Labs and Sabre. A quick internet search will turn up multiple sources. Put 'em in a good belt pouch and they're unobtrusive and easy to carry. I'd still replace with new every few years to insure proper function.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    A cane can be a first-rate weapon, but you've GOT to practice.

Check out the book "Cold Steel" by John Styers. It has a section on using a stick or a baton, which is easily converted to use with a cane. The techniques are simple and easy to practice.

There are some other books that are useful for the techniques they impart, but they take a lot more time to learn. There is one by Michael Echanis, which is probably comes in second place for practicality and ease of learning.

After that, you get into some serious martial arts stuff, both Eastern and Western....there are old British texts, a huge volume of Irish stick or cane fighting material (they call it the "Shillegah" or something like that). There is a specific Phillipino art (the name of which I forget, but it heavily influenced Ecahnis), a Korean art and the Japanese art of the "JO".

One easy-to-fashion-weapon includes a large, thin magazine (think "Rolling Stone"). Take a handful of quarters (even those aren't outlawed on planes yet) and stick them in the spine of the magazine with some scotch tape (again, still legal). Roll that puppy up T-IG-H-T.

It makes a pretty good (short) stick or pseudo-knife or pseudo-baton.

The more I practice with stuff like knives and sticks, the more grateful I am for pistols....

Look into the small Palm and Key Defenders in colors other than black (blue, violet, grey). Looks like a key ring, you can carry it all day on your hand and most people, if not all, will never know it is an OC dispenser/last resort impact weapon. Do take an OC course to learn/refresh OC deployment and get exposed to it in a controled enviroment.

Official ASP website:

http://www.asp-net.com/oc.html

Extra info/description:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3032.php

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3057.php

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3061.php

Best price I've seen on the net:

http://code3tactical.com/index.asp?P...S&Category=108

Disclaimer - I'm not an ASP rep / check legality of use in your jurisdiction and where you plan to go.

the dojo i go to teaches goju shorei weapons system which is the original system that cane masters came out of. i don't know the cane master system or the politics of the split. i do know that i have taken my cane on an airplane post 9/11 with no problems. Grandmaster Dave McNeill, when establishing the system, was looking for a weapon that could be carried anywhere, by anyone, legal in all 50 states, and could be taught easily to people with no previous martial arts experience. folding knife and chinese war fan are the other two weapons taught within this system. it makes an excellent complement to any martial arts training as it will open your mind to what might or might not constitute weaponary. the spiraling, fangs, grooves, etc. are obviously for "decorative purposes only" and couldn't possibly be used to make strikes more damaging. most people will look at a cane as a crutch for a disability and not a weapon. check out http://www.gojushorei.com

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    A cane can be a first-rate weapon, but you've GOT to practice.

Check out the book "Cold Steel" by John Styers. It has a section on using a stick or a baton, which is easily converted to use with a cane. The techniques are simple and easy to practice.

There are some other books that are useful for the techniques they impart, but they take a lot more time to learn. There is one by Michael Echanis, which is probably comes in second place for practicality and ease of learning.

After that, you get into some serious martial arts stuff, both Eastern and Western....there are old British texts, a huge volume of Irish stick or cane fighting material (they call it the "Shillegah" or something like that). There is a specific Phillipino art (the name of which I forget, but it heavily influenced Ecahnis), a Korean art and the Japanese art of the "JO".
    Excellent advice, the material in Cold Steel is great. There's also good cane/stick material in Get Tough (W.E. Fairbairn), and Kill or Get Killed (Rex Applegate). Most of the WWII combatives manuals had some of this type of material.

Most of this material can be found at Gutterfighting.com
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My carry holster is a pouch the size for a PDA with a cell phone pocket on the outside. Since it just fits my Kel-Tec P3AT, it's so small no one would ever think gun and the cell phone carrier is a perfect cover.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Great Comments folks. One thing about this vacation - no devices of self defense "knowingly" allowed. No pepper spray, no knifes, no multitool's, no guns (of course not since all the other not allowed either).
    Seems like the cane is the only thing I can take - unless I can get some pepper type spray that looks like something else that will pass through security.

Hummmm, Quarters in a sock..... If I had big enough pockets maybe. Hey, Swinging a fanny pack loaded down might be an option too...

Thanks everyone. Oh Thanks for the Goju-Shorei link too.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Knitting needles, drum sticks, Westcott 12" aluminum ruler. These all work well, but are not the sort of thing that is commonly carried so might not work. Three sharpened No. 2 pencils rubber banded together will work. Pool ball in a sock works, but is hard to carry. A golf ball in a sock may work, doesn't have the weight, but is hard.

I have a bottle of throat spray that you pump that fits in my pants pocket. If you replaced the throat spray with a mixture of one half water and one half household ammonia you would have something that will ruin someone's day if sprayed in the face.

A couple of brass blazer buttons with 18" of 100 lb. test monofiliment fishing line between them will do some damage as well.

I have some more that I have on a list somewhere, but right now I can't find it. I just remembered one. Your pistol belt. Two thickness of heavy leather sewn together with a heavy brass buckle at the end. Depending on your waist size it also reaches out three feet or more.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

While in Germany and the UK

I had a lot of loose coins as they were used more than dollars. It was a pain. I had too many coins so I put them in a little pouch so I could pull them out to use the coins. If I pulled the bag out of my pocket by the cord of the pouch too quickly it would hit my side pretty hard. When asked about it by others in my group I was just another tourist trying to use up all of these coins .

AC,
    Heavy gauge stainless steel bracelet- slip-on, bangle-style (improvised knucks, and a heckuva gouge, if you lightly contour the edges of the opening)

Carabiner "key-ring".

Machinists' scribe

Have a nylon cutting board? Cut yourself a little 3"x1.5" rectangle, and drill a finger-sized hole near one end. (improvosed knuck)

Get on ebay, and search "stainless steel pen". Buy one that looks like you could pry your way out of an elevator with it.

Tube of Superglue. (PM me, if you're unclear on application).

Can you tie a monkey's fist? Make a key-chain with a 3/4"-1.0" ballbearing in the head and 4-6" of braided handle.

A good bandanna, and a 1" Lucky charm" ballbearing in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

Can you tie a monkey's fist? Make a key-chain with a 3/4"-1.0" ballbearing in the head and 4-6" of braided handle.
    OOOhh, I forgot about that one. I used to make heaving lines for boaters that way. But a small one with a steel bearing would be BAAAAD. In the old days on sailing ships the first mates would take about 1 1/2 feet of heavy line and put a crown knot or a star knot on the end for a brutal club!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links