Knife Laws in Wisconsin

Knife Laws in Wisconsin

This is a discussion on Knife Laws in Wisconsin within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking over the forum, but haven't found what types of knives are legal in WI. Specifically, I'd like to know what types, lengths ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GH

Thread: Knife Laws in Wisconsin

Knife Laws in Wisconsin

I've been looking over the forum, but haven't found what types of knives are legal in WI. Specifically, I'd like to know what types, lengths and so forth ARE legal. Anybody able to cite a source?

GH
    With a CC license any knife is legal except for switchblades, butterfly knives & I believe gravity knives. According to my son in the Milwaukee Police Academy LEOs will consider any knife to be a weapon. I believe the unlicensed legal carry length is 3".

I personally like to carry a K Bar on occasion now that I'm licensed if for no other reason than I legally can. I've trained with them while in the military & a rubber trainer in that size in martial arts.

Since WI is an open carry state I also kept a hunting knife on my belt - pre-licensing - when I was metal detecting. If asked it was nothing more or nothing less than a "digging tool". I was never asked when I'd chat with POs who were interested in what I was doing & what I had found.

This is the law - "Weapons Permitted with License:
    Sec. 175.60(1)(j), Wis. Stats.: “Weapon”
    means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295(1c)(a), a knife other than a
    switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club."
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Our transition from Communism in this state is taking longer than I thought...

GH
    We have to get rid of the fact that every time a law is appealed it has to go through the Dane County Court. Case in point - Voter ID. The law was passed by duly elected Legislators, signed by a duly elected Governor & now it's being held up by unelected liberal judges in liberal Madison. I don't know about your area of WI but in Milwaukee County voter fraud is rampant. The elected voice of the people goes unheard. Had Barrett been elected we could have kissed concealed carry goodbye. He hates it. He's a lousy Mayor & would have been a lousy Governor. All he cares about is his choo choo train, both in Milwaukee as light rail & from Milwaukee to Madison as "high speed" rail. He cares little about the employment rate in the city. Many businesses have left the city to go to Waukesha County where they'll get a fair tax & building code break &
    bandrich likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Administrator
    Please stay on topic to the original post and away from general politics. AKA - Wisconsin ~ Knives

Hmmm so if I have a permit, it's whatever I want other than a switchblade. Do katanas count? A knife other than a switchblade knife...it IS a knife when I cut pizza with it, but it's a machete whilst doing yard work. And it's cool when it's in my living room lol jk about the katana, but that does raise an interesting question. Gecko45 should know the answer.

Links