Looking for my new EDC folder

This is a discussion on Looking for my new EDC folder within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a good folding blade. According to local laws, the blade must be under 3.5" long. I think I've settled on a Benchmade ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for my new EDC folder

I'm looking for a good folding blade. According to local laws, the blade must be under 3.5" long.

I think I've settled on a Benchmade (love the axis lock) and am looking for suggestions on which model / blade type to use. Also, I would like to stay under $100.

I hope to hear from some knife geeks, but you might have to explain some of the finer points as I'm just learning about high end folders.

Thanks!

What are you looking for? A utility knife? A defensive blade?

Benchmade makes a lot of great knives and I agree that the Axis lock is a fantastic lock. They also have a good selection of steels, with S30V being one of their more popular steels. If your budget is under $100, the Griptilian line is a good place to start.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I only carry one knife. It's mostly a utility blade, but is also a backup (as is anything else within reach) in a life threatening situation.
    I'll look at the griptilian. Thanks!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

sgb
    I'm an Emerson fan myself. Take a took at the Mini Commander, it's almost twice what your looking to spend but well worth it in my humble opinion.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekTheKnives_Tact.php

Commander_BTS.jpg

Handles Black G-10 epoxy / glass laminate
    Lock Aerospace grade Titanium
    Blade 154 CM
    Finish Silver Satin ™ or Black
    Grind Conventional V Grind

Overall Length 8.0 in.
    Blade Length 3.4 in.
    Handle Length 4.60 in.
    Blade Thickness .125 in.
    Hardness 57-59 RC
    Weight 3.8 oz.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

HKR
    If you like the Axis lock then definitely look at a Griptillian. Look for the 550 (Hole opener instead of stud).

I loved my Kershaw Leek till the tip bent (seems a trend with kershaw)
    I replaced it with a CRKT M16-10kz. Not an amazing knife, but it is a nice, small, multi purpose folder.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Is there a newbie's guide to the types of steel these blades are made from? This particular subject seems confusing.

CJM
    Cabela's has the Kershaw Vapor III on sale for $14.99. Great knife for the money. I have spendy knives, and some budget knives as well, I find myself carrying the budget knives more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsit View Post
    Is there a newbie's guide to the types of steel these blades are made from? This particular subject seems confusing.
    - What knife are you referring to? There's a lot of premium steels out there now, but one may suit your need better than another (rust resistance, edge retention, etc.).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

That's the thing. I'm looking for a cheat-sheet of sorts that tells me about the different attributes of each.
    For instance, Kershaw's website is pretty informative, but the write up they have on one steel seems to compare it to another steel that I'm just suppose to know the attributes of. I'd love to see something like:
    Type of steel, rust resistance rating, hardness rating, edge retention rating, etc. Where the ratings were on some scale system like "3 of 5 stars" or "9 out of 10."
    If no one has compiled this info before, I think it would be a great help to those of us just starting out.

This: http://www.benchmade.com/images/table_blade_steels.gif might be a good start -- it has many different steels listed and what their ingredients are.

Thanks!
    Last edited by whatsit; August 29th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good comparison sites that have that kind of thing. The two steels that I most often use are 154CM (Emerson) and S30V (Benchmade). The S30V holds an edge slightly better, but the 154CM is much easier for me to sharpen.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have amassed quite the knife collection over the years (since Boy Scouts) and have several Benchmades in my collection. My current favorite is the Kershaw Ken Onion knives. I have a Blur I carry when dressed casual and a Leek I carry with fancy pants. Both are great US made with their assisted opening (read legal automatic) and are quite thin. They keep edges very well, are comfortably thin and ambidextrous, which is important as I'm a south-paw. You can get either of these from a good knife purveyor (e.g. GP Knives) for less than $100.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links