Defensive Carry banner

Does anyone carry a TDI?

9K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  Cuda66 
#1 ·
I EDC'd a Spyderco Endura in my strong-hand front pocket for the past 10 years but got intrigued by the TDI a few months ago and have been wearing the small Law Enf model on my weak-hand side with handle facing forward.

It was made and marketed as a specific self defence/firearm retention weapon but I am curious as to how it has worked out as an EDC knife from those of you that actually carry it.

I like the belt clip and can clip in to jogging shorts or sweat pants if I need to and I like that I can draw it with either hand and it is ready to go. It fits real comfortable and I don't know it's there unless I need it. I wear an untucked t-shirt and noone knows it's there unlike a large folder on a pocket clip. I have also appreciated not having another object in my pocket and more than a few times I have had something catch on the Endura clip and send it flying across the floor.

All in all carrying the small TDI has worked out well so yesterday I broke down and got the large version. It is quite a bit larger and more robust blade but it also comes with a quite a bit larger handle and sheath/belt holster at a cost of quite a bit more bulk and wt. I'm going to EDC it for awhile and see if that model works or if I'll go back to the small model.

So how about you? Do any of you carry a TDI? What are your thoughts on it? How do you carry it and how has it worked for you?

(I also need to add, some of the reviews I've read say that it is awkward and doesn't make a good general-use knife. I guess I haven't found that to be the case at all once I used it for awhile and got used to it) So what are your thoughts? Have you found it to be a convenient and usefull EDC knife?

See less See more
#4 ·
I carry one every day, however I don't use it as an everyday knife. It is strictly a SD knife for me.

I had a heck of a time getting a good edge on it, but once I did, I was very happy with it.

I caught the holster on a seat belt once and sprung the clip, other than that I haven't had any issues.

#5 ·
I have one that I'm going to start carrying if I ever get around to having a different sheath made for it.

I want to carry it sharp edge of blade pointed down around 11:00. Very fast for either hand to draw. Blade down to stop me from feeling like I'm going to cut open my tactical beer gut every time I draw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I have the small TDI and love the knife, but find it a little uncomfortable for EDC. I carry two spare mags on my weak hand side, so placement of the knife becomes an issue. Because of that I end-up carrying a folding knife. I've thought about carrying the TDI in the small of back area (reasonably easy to reach, well concealed, and comfortable for short periods of time), but have not done so for any extended period of time.

#9 ·
I used to carry the large tanto, then the small regular one but decided to carry a Buck/Tops Nighthawk or a SOG Field Pup II instead because sometimes you need a strong, big knife for something other than defense.

#10 ·
I have a large TDI that I trimmed the handle down to small size.

A custom Dale Fricke sheath allows horizontal belt carry. A Fin Designs is standard IWB.

Both are miles ahead of the factory POS sheath.

#19 ·
RJ

Dale does great work. How concealable is the mag carrier with tdi attached when worn under a shirt?

View attachment 62462 I have the small TDI in a Dale Fricke Mag Pouch/TDI Sheath Left Side Front. I used the red handeled trainers in the picture for better contrast. I also carry a Spiderco Endura for ordinary jobs the TDI is strictly for defense.

Bob

#16 ·
My wife broke her elbow a couple months ago and was looking at a TDI to use while she healed up. We held several models at the local gun show, but there were no good deals or decent prices.

She likes the way the blade is in line with the arm bone, it works with her limited strength and range of motion while she heals up.

#18 ·
I carry a small KaBar TDI in a custom Kydex neck sheath. It's a covert blade that's VERY FAST getting into the fight. In addition I usually have a Spyderco Endura Wave clipped in my right-front pocket for more general cutting requirements. I plan a project to weld a ring onto a large TDI Tanto for Karambit-style techniques.

#20 ·
I carry the small TDI LE everyday as a SD knife at 12:00 for off hand draw. It has been a great little knife. I clip it to my inner belt and it's mostly concealed by my outer belt, this setup works very well for me.

#21 ·
I carry a full size TDI that I bought while taking a handgun course from them. The knife looks huge, but absolutely disappears in my pocket. I have never been aware of it during the day, and nobody has ever seemed to notice it. All you can see from the outside is the metal spring clip.

My employer doesn't allow concealed carry, so the TDI is my next best option

#22 ·
I bought a small TDI because of a friend.
But I never carried it.
I prefer a push dagger for this kind of purpose.

But my best friend, who used to be one of the very few french contractors in Iraq some years ago, has carried one on his assault vest because it could be deployed with a narrow move.

#24 ·
I carry the Ka-Bar TDI L.E. blade laced into one boot. That "last ditch" blade is good if I need a knife to cut my way out of my own speed cuffs if I'm overtaken, and so forth. Good last resort blade.

#25 ·
I just got the larger TDI but I am worried the cheesy Velcro "snap" straps will not hold up on my duty belt or even underneath on my "inner" belt. I couldn't see paying forty bux for the smaller one when for two dollars more you get the larger 3" 11/16 blade length vs the 2". But I may have to order the metal spring clip for it which came with the smaller one. I also can't see paying another thirty to forty bux for a decent sheath when that was the cost of the freakin knife.

#26 ·
I carry the TDI HellFire in an Alpha Concealment sheath. Made in USA both the knife and sheath. Good stuff.

#27 ·
I’ve got a Benchmade/HK “Plan D” that I carry on & off...probably should replace it with a TDI since the HK knives are collectors now...

I like it, never needed it; like others, I carried it strictly for SD, I carry a folder (usually a small Sebenza) for most daily tasks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.