Does anyone carry a TDI?

This is a discussion on Does anyone carry a TDI? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I EDC'd a Spyderco Endura in my strong-hand front pocket for the past 10 years but got intrigued by the TDI a few months ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone carry a TDI?

Does anyone carry a TDI?

I EDC'd a Spyderco Endura in my strong-hand front pocket for the past 10 years but got intrigued by the TDI a few months ago and have been wearing the small Law Enf model on my weak-hand side with handle facing forward.

It was made and marketed as a specific self defence/firearm retention weapon but I am curious as to how it has worked out as an EDC knife from those of you that actually carry it.

I like the belt clip and can clip in to jogging shorts or sweat pants if I need to and I like that I can draw it with either hand and it is ready to go. It fits real comfortable and I don't know it's there unless I need it. I wear an untucked t-shirt and noone knows it's there unlike a large folder on a pocket clip. I have also appreciated not having another object in my pocket and more than a few times I have had something catch on the Endura clip and send it flying across the floor.

All in all carrying the small TDI has worked out well so yesterday I broke down and got the large version. It is quite a bit larger and more robust blade but it also comes with a quite a bit larger handle and sheath/belt holster at a cost of quite a bit more bulk and wt. I'm going to EDC it for awhile and see if that model works or if I'll go back to the small model.

So how about you? Do any of you carry a TDI? What are your thoughts on it? How do you carry it and how has it worked for you?

(I also need to add, some of the reviews I've read say that it is awkward and doesn't make a good general-use knife. I guess I haven't found that to be the case at all once I used it for awhile and got used to it) So what are your thoughts? Have you found it to be a convenient and usefull EDC knife?

2. Remove Ads

Anyone? Does anyone else carry a Ka-bar TDI?

I have thought about it just never pulled the trigger. Let's us know how you like it.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

I carry one every day, however I don't use it as an everyday knife. It is strictly a SD knife for me.

I had a heck of a time getting a good edge on it, but once I did, I was very happy with it.

I caught the holster on a seat belt once and sprung the clip, other than that I haven't had any issues.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I have one that I'm going to start carrying if I ever get around to having a different sheath made for it.

I want to carry it sharp edge of blade pointed down around 11:00. Very fast for either hand to draw. Blade down to stop me from feeling like I'm going to cut open my tactical beer gut every time I draw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I have the large TDI and am planning to get the smaller one. The large is just a little too big for me. Otherwise it carries well at my 8:00 with the handle curved to my front.

I have the small TDI and love the knife, but find it a little uncomfortable for EDC. I carry two spare mags on my weak hand side, so placement of the knife becomes an issue. Because of that I end-up carrying a folding knife. I've thought about carrying the TDI in the small of back area (reasonably easy to reach, well concealed, and comfortable for short periods of time), but have not done so for any extended period of time.

Distinguished Member
    I used to carry one when I was on the PD to cut through seat belts if needed and SD. Still have it but it sits in a box now.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I used to carry the large tanto, then the small regular one but decided to carry a Buck/Tops Nighthawk or a SOG Field Pup II instead because sometimes you need a strong, big knife for something other than defense.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

I have a large TDI that I trimmed the handle down to small size.

A custom Dale Fricke sheath allows horizontal belt carry. A Fin Designs is standard IWB.

Both are miles ahead of the factory POS sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I have a large TDI that I trimmed the handle down to small size.
    How did you do that?

I kind of wish they had a hybrid with the large-sized blade with the small-sized handle.

Quote Originally Posted by oldshirt View Post
    How did you do that?
    The metal is very hard, so access to an industrial bandsaw and sander is good if you can get it.

I scribed the outline of the small on the handle of the large. I then cut and sanded until it was as close to the profile as I could get.

The scales (handle) are hollow, so I used JBWeld for filler. After it dried, I did the final finish sanding, masked off the blade and painted the handle with OD Krylon.

It has held up quite well for about 3 years now of daily carry.

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    Blade down to stop me from feeling like I'm going to cut open my tactical beer gut every time I draw it.
    LMAO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry the small TDI on my weak side. It is strickly SD.
    ka-bar-tdi-law-enforcement-serrated-170.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg I have the small TDI in a Dale Fricke Mag Pouch/TDI Sheath Left Side Front. I used the red handeled trainers in the picture for better contrast. I also carry a Spiderco Endura for ordinary jobs the TDI is strictly for defense.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links