Multiple Knives for EDC? - Page 3

Multiple Knives for EDC?

This is a discussion on Multiple Knives for EDC? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HardLuck682 I typically carry two knives, along with a gun daily. My wife finds this to be odd, being that many people ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Multiple Knives for EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by HardLuck682 View Post
    I typically carry two knives, along with a gun daily. My wife finds this to be odd, being that many people don't carry even a knife, let alone 2 AND a gun. My knives are both kepped in my two front pockets. One is a ZT 0300 and the other is an Emerson CQC-7BW. In a defensive situation, I having more items to reach for is like having several tools in our tool box. Sometimes she thinks I'm paranoid, I say I'm prepared.
    I don't carry two knives, I do carry one however. It's a gerber something folding knife and has a clip about the same length of the handle which is almost 3 inches, which is the same length for the blade of course. My gf was like *** do you need to carry a knife for when I first began doing it. The very next day we are buying food at the store and she is pulling at this grape stem trying to make it so that there are less grapes in the bag she is getting. After watching this for about 30 seconds I pull out my knife and say "and you said *** do I need to carry a knife for". sence then I have used my carry knife at least once a week for a number of things. Most recently opening a clasp on her watch (the people at the store were unable to do so even with their tools) right there in the store.

I got enough stuff, stuffed into my pockets I don't think I could carry another knife. Though the idea of a boot knife is and interest to me. The time I would spend pulling up my pant leg to get it in a needed situation makes it rather useless as my pant legs normally go down to the top of my foot.

I do like how I can just clip my gerber to the inside of my pants pocket so any replacement would have to have the clip as well.

I'm in the multiple knife camp. Two for defense on each rear pocket and a Swiss Army as tool. In a gun grab or on the ground either hand can get to a knife. A potential bad experience in an elevator lead to a decision to be able to defend myself. Paranoid you say, to each their own.
    Last edited by msb45; October 2nd, 2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: sp

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Three. Spyderco Delica with Emerson wave in right pocket, Emerson La Griffe on my keychain, and a Leatherman in my manbag.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If for no other reason, I tend to carry two knives, because while I am fairly ambidextrous, my left and right hands have different "preferences" in knives; what feels good in one hand does not necessariy feel right in the other hand.

I carry 2. Ones a weapon, ones a tool.

Senior Moderator
    Just 2?! You slacker!!

I'm kidding.

Two is pretty much a minimum when it comes to actually putting on knives. One strictly for SD and the other for SD/utilitarian purposes. I have my Gerber Crucial with me wherever I go which (as most should know) is a multi-tool but it does have a decent blade in it (me thinks). My TDI LEO or LDK also accompany me regularly. It's always nice to have a backup to your backup.

I guess some people can see that as too much but then, who get's to define too much?

RKM
    I have considered carrying two knives, but still only seem to carry just one. I love my folders. I carry them to use them as a tool 100% of the time. I say 100%, because I have yet needed it as a weapon. That's not to say I'd ignore it as a weapon. I do keep it on "stand-by" for lack of a better term. However, I do not carry a knife strictly designated as a weapon.

I've considered carrying an Emerson Karambit in my left pocket. Probably the only "folding" knife I'd use as a dedicated weapon. Otherwise, I'd rather have a Ka-Bar TDI or something very small like an Emerson La Griffe. I'd prefer a fixed blade because it's not only faster, but it can't fail to open. While I'm a huge fan of waved blades and my Emerson's, waved blades may fail to open under stress. Fixed blades will never fail to open. I've tried to comfortably conceal my ESEE Izula, but I just can't. It's too big. I can conceal it, but find it even more uncomfortable that my firearm. I'd prefer my defensive blade to be discreet. It would likely to be used when I'm in serious, desperate need of a weapon and my firearm is for some reason inoperable, etc.. Very last resort. So keeping it small, but still very usable would be my main priority.

As far as two knives for different utility tasks, I see no point. My simple Spydero's, Benchmade's or Emerson's take care of any utility task I've ever given them. One knife of medium size is good enough. My most often carried knife is a Benchmade Griptilian. It will do anything I ask it to. And will, at last resort work as a weapon, even though that's the extreme last resort.

I may go shopping for an Emerson La Griffe now.

I carry two knives for two different purposes.

The first purpose is utility.
    This knife is very inexpensive, fairly rugged, easy to carry, easy to deploy, and always razor sharp.
    The Gerber EAB Pocket Knife:
    Gerber EAB Pocket Knife 22-41830 For Sale > Gerber Knives Direct

This knife is used a lot, but because it uses replaceable blades it never has to be sharpened to stay razor sharp at all times.

The second is for personal protection and emergency use.
    This knife is fairly inexpensive, fairly rugged, easy to carry, very fast to deploy, and always razor sharp.
    The Gerber F.A.S.T. Draw Assisted Opening knife:
    Gerber Fast Draw Assisted Opening Knife 22-07161 > Gerber Knives Direct

As stated, this knife is for personal protection or emergency use only, fortunately, I have never had to use it and therefore have never had to sharpen it.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Three knives, four blades...

I carry the Gerber EAB. I carry the Victorinox SwissTool (two blades, four if you count the wood saw and hacksaw). I carry a Ken Onion Kershaw Leek... the latter is with me all the time no matter what... the other two 95% of the time.

I wear either a CZ 82 or a P64 about 85% of the time.

The Leek is my defensive knife... won't be used for anything else... the others are used as tools. but certainly could be defensive.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    ...I carry a Ken Onion Kershaw Leek... the latter is with me all the time no matter what... the other two 95% of the time.

The Leek is my defensive knife... won't be used for anything else... the others are used as tools. but certainly could be defensive.
    Which Leek? Most of them have very slick handles. I've had a few. I'm carrying the G10 Leek now.

I am currently deployed but I carry two knives on me at all times. Usually a Leatherman Skeletool and a Gerber Applegate.

i always carry a leatherman wave, sometimes i carry a 5" folding tanto (10" open). and my wife makes comments too.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    I carry two knives for two different purposes.

The first purpose is utility.
    This knife is very inexpensive, fairly rugged, easy to carry, easy to deploy, and always razor sharp.
    The Gerber EAB Pocket Knife:
    Gerber EAB Pocket Knife 22-41830 For Sale > Gerber Knives Direct
    does that lock? i have a couple of the older style pocket folders like this that i like very much.

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

i carry a kershaw tremor and a leatherman skeletool. Skeletool is left side and tremor right side front pockets.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Just one folder for me, benchmade bone collector, with my XDs and LCP

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links