Prison weapons. Why gun control doesn't work.

This is a discussion on Prison weapons. Why gun control doesn't work. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a prison next to my fire station, and they were kind enough to let us start working out in their training building. In ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Prison weapons. Why gun control doesn't work.

Prison weapons. Why gun control doesn't work.

There is a prison next to my fire station, and they were kind enough to let us start working out in their training building. In that building they have a large display of the home made weapons and tools found over the years. There are a large collection of sharpened toothbrushes and small poking weapons that you would expect. Some of the stuff is pretty advanced. Grappling hooks, brass knuckles (looks like a sand casting). Knives made from big pieces of plate glass, spoons, lawnmower blades, sharpened steel bits of what looks like fence wire. There are home made nunchucks, a lock-and-sock kind of thing, and a plastic knuckles kind of thing with sharp bits of metal embedded in the front. There's a knife/cleaver/axe thing in there that would not be out of place on a midevil pole axe. There are also a couple of tattoo guns and a couple of zip-guns. The guns are made of some pipe and hose clamps and such and as near as I can tell by looking through plexiglass, should work for at least one shot. I remember that they had a murder of an Officer hear a couple years ago and that was a pretty sobering thought. She was stabbed repeatedly by an inmate in the auto shop here. I have run on a few assaults here in my years, but never saw any of the weapons before.

But the thought I took away with me is that restricting "objects" is ridiculous . In the most secure of environments, there are still ways to be armed. Even with firearms. There is a training range next door and I remember when inmate workers used to clean up there. It's not hard to imagine them being able to smuggle a round or two back inside, and visitors are caught smuggling here all the time.

The final lesson is pretty simple. I don't want to ever go to prison, but I sure am glad some people are locked away.

I tried to take some pics, but the glare on the glass was pretty bad. If anybody cares, I can try again with a better camera.
    niks, msgt/ret, Pistology and 5 others like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I remember reading some years ago where they had a shakedown inspection at a prison out west. They removed about two bushel baskets of various weapons.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have seen a civilian employee get his throat cut with what turned out to be a razor blade melted into a toothbrush. Early in my career I ran a call on an inmate who got stabbed a few times in the base of his skull with something. That was an interesting airway complication, when we ventilated him the back of his head bubbled. Worked a guy who was on the receiving end of some boots and a lock-&-sock or two. I ran several razor injuries in my career too, some suicides and a couple of assaults.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I tried to take some pics, but the glare on the glass was pretty bad. If anybody cares, I can try again with a better camera.
    Try taking the photo at an angle instead of straight on.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The tool-making "gene." It's in us all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's been said before: your brain is your most dangerous weapon and one can hardly deprieve inmates of that. A friend from college took a job as a guard in Jackson State Prison for a couple years before he finally landed as public safety officer back on campus. As I recall he said he was scared to death every day. This from a man who stood 6' 4", played linebacker for our college team and was pretty much the enforcer at our parties. They gave him a stick and put him behind bars with guys who ate as much food as they wanted, worked out all day and had nothing to lose. He said the inmates were easier to deal with if they looked the other way on certain things although I'm sure weapons were not included.

Prison are like schools these days. In more ways than one. They're too big and overcrowded, and that only make things harder to manage. And they are crime universities.

This post may be innapropriate so mods do your thing if needed.

I cant remember where I read or heard it but it was about the most dangerous weapon smuggled in to a prison. Turns out it was a hand grenade in the rectum. It went in to detail about the diameter of the grenade and a couple of other specifics about ummm lets just be safe and say dimensions that made it possible.

Could you imagine finding that one? Not saying that in a lude manner just that a hand grenade, internal no less.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I was watching some "Lockdown" show on TV a prisoner showed how you can take a styrofoam cup and melt and form it into a hard plastic shiv you could use to stab somebody with
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    This post may be innapropriate so mods do your thing if needed.

I cant remember where I read or heard it but it was about the most dangerous weapon smuggled in to a prison. Turns out it was a hand grenade in the rectum. It went in to detail about the diameter of the grenade and a couple of other specifics about ummm lets just be safe and say dimensions that made it possible.

Could you imagine finding that one? Not saying that in a lude manner just that a hand grenade, internal no less.
    Can you imagine the guy trying to retrieve it and suddenly seeing the pin hit the floor detached from the grenade
    accessbob likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The problem in prisons is no signs...if they just put up a "No Weapons Allowed" sign in each cell, that could solve the problem.
    CJM, Spade115, kmagnuss and 12 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    [QUOTE=retsupt99;2375030]The problem in prisons is no signs...if they just put up a "No Weapons Allowed" sign in each cell, that could solve the problem.[/QUOT

That's the problem with gun-grabbers. They focus on the tool rather than the crime. Murder will still occur, with or without guns. It's the logic of idiots.
    accessbob likes this.

CJM
    They should just ban prisons.
    kmagnuss likes this.

The crime is the act, not the tool. Human beings have been developing ways to exert their wishes upon other human beings (or to protect themselves from that same exertion) since we've been keeping track. Laws won't stop it, restricted environments won't stop it, good-guys won't stop it, bad-guys won't stop it. Tools have no conscious or intent, they just leverage physical prowess. The idea of limiting tools from law-abiding citizens is, in itself, criminal. The idea of limiting tools from criminals is, quite obviously, impossible. The whole idea of "tool control" is a fantasy of false-security & emotion. The sooner we begin to see it as such...the better.
    Once, joker1, kmagnuss and 1 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Good post! It shows that if there's a will, there is a way...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links