Self-defense with a cane/umbrella (Unbreakable Umbrella, Ka-Bar TDI Cane)

This is a discussion on Self-defense with a cane/umbrella (Unbreakable Umbrella, Ka-Bar TDI Cane) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, So here's the deal. I am going to South Carolina in a couple weeks for my younger sister's basic training graduation. From what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Self-defense with a cane/umbrella (Unbreakable Umbrella, Ka-Bar TDI Cane)

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

Self-defense with a cane/umbrella (Unbreakable Umbrella, Ka-Bar TDI Cane)

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal. I am going to South Carolina in a couple weeks for my younger sister's basic training graduation. From what I gather, Columbia is probably not the greatest town in the world. I went to Ft. Benning instead of Ft. Jackson, but Lord knows Columbus, Georgia, is also not the greatest town in the world.

So ordinarily I would just pack my gun. But South Carolina does not recognize the MN carry permit, and they also do not recognize nonresident permits or allow open carry, so there's no legal way for me to carry there.

I have acquired an Unbreakable Umbrella and a Ka-Bar TDI Cane.

I am no martial arts expert, and will be relying on some limited cane/stick hapkido experience and pugil stick/bayonet military training.

Anyway, the question at hand is- which to take? The cane is more sturdy and better allows for using the haft of the cane for strikes from the double guard, and while it is covered under the ACAA and the ADA, I am not disabled, and the cane itself is black metal with a sharp crook and knurling along the cane shaft in places that only a martial artist would ever grip a cane. I am concerned that some TSA person who is ignorant of the legalities will decide that it's a weapon and confiscate it anyway.

The umbrella is extremely sturdy, and will raise no eyebrows because it doesn't look any different than any other reasonably nice umbrella. You just lessen the usefulness of the strike with the shaft from double guard because of the fabric and frame of the umbrella absorbing some of the impact. Most of the striking usefulness is with the point and crook.

Taking both would be even more conspicuous, and also kind of a pain.

Also, if anyone has any experience with either product, it'd be nice to hear about it.
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

That KaBar would probably be a broken cane with a good whack on something...if you know what I mean...it is HOLLOW... Ribs of the umbrella would take much more punishment...and you can actually use it if it rains! I have an old Rattan Walking Cane from Brigade Quartermasters ordered years ago. It's golden oak color(mostly unbreakable-you can bend it a good curve and it supports as much weight-seen it used with 335lb guy-as you need if used for actual purpose. It came with a metal end cap that I replaced with an actual rubber cane tip. You could cane someone to eternity with it though.... Think I paid $12.
    Hoganbeg and mossy500camo like this.

Distinguished Member
    Between the two I would choose the umbrella... less conspicuous and as Gunsmoke16 said, the hollow cane would probably not survive well if you had to beat an exceptionally hard head with it :)

I've got a couple of Cold Steel "walking sticks" (a dragon and a city stick) that travel with me often, even where I can carry.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have training with a cane and they are awesome weapons that can be taken anywhere in any weather. Umbrellas are kind of conspicuous in sunny weather. I am not handicapped but I carry a cane very often when I can't carry my Glock. I fly often and haven't had any questions or looks from any security at airports and have always been able to walk right on the plane with it.
    Again, even with limited training a cane is an awesome weapon.

You may think of getting a wooden cane for your trip. They can be gotten fairly cheap... Good luck.

By the Way, Wooden canes have no metal parts = no problem with metal detectors.
    Last edited by AZJD1968; August 31st, 2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more info.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

The TDI cane is a lot tougher than you would think. I would say it is probably as tough as the umbrella. Also, looking at it in person, it doesn't look as much like a weapon as I thought. Just the knurling pattern, which honestly isn't even well placed.

One issue I noticed with the umbrella is that it's difficult to grip on the shaft because the small parts of the umbrella rotate and flex around the main frame.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    How about some OC spray ?

Appears to be legal in S.C.

South Carolina Legislature Mobile

(O) A permit issued pursuant to this article is not required for a person:

(1) specified in Section 16-23-20, items (1) through (5) and items (7) through (11);

(2) carrying a self-defense device generally considered to be nonlethal including the substance commonly referred to as "pepper gas";

(3) carrying a concealable weapon in a manner not prohibited by law.

State Pepper Spray Regulations

"SOUTH CAROLINA. It is lawful to possess a container not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters containing tear gas “for self-defense purposes only”. Section 16-23-470. There appears to be no other provision that regulates or restricts the sale or otherwise lawful use of self-defense sprays. Pepper sprays are allowed explicitly by Section 23-31-215(O)(2). "

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    The TDI cane is a lot tougher than you would think. I would say it is probably as tough as the umbrella. Also, looking at it in person, it doesn't look as much like a weapon as I thought. Just the knurling pattern, which honestly isn't even well placed.

One issue I noticed with the umbrella is that it's difficult to grip on the shaft because the small parts of the umbrella rotate and flex around the main frame.
    Does a hollow aluminum cane have enough heft to allow its use as a striking weapon? Like when swinging it like a club or sword?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Does a hollow aluminum cane have enough heft to allow its use as a striking weapon? Like when swinging it like a club or sword?

Michael
    Yes. It is about 1.25" wide with .125" thick walls. Weight is comparable to my heavy oak Cane Masters cane, about 2 lbs.

I believe you can't fly with pepper spray, even in checked baggage. Could be wrong.
    Hakkaa päälle!

A lot of places make clubs and such illegal as weapons. I've been considering a solid titanium cane. Since I'm older I could justify having a cane with me. And solid titanium would still be a bit on the heavy side but it would also be very strong.

VIP Member
    Whatever works. YMMV
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

A sturdy wooden stick. Anything that resembles that description will put some hurt on somebody.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

"There's nothing like a good piece of Hickory." - Clint Eastwood, Pale Rider
    pgrass101, ctr and mossy500camo like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    I personally want an unbreakbale umbrella and if I can ever justify $100 for an umbrella I'll get one
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I regularly train & fly commercially with a crooked oak walking cane. I bought it a antique shop/flea market 15 years ago for $10. Like me, it's worn, dinged & scraped. It weighs just under 2 lbs., it's hell-for-stout & it has never once raised so much as an eyebrow from the TSA. Anything high tech, anything fancy, anything metal is gonna' attract undo attention. I'm just a quiet ol' guy with a bad ankle (*who'll swiftly break your bones if you mistakenly take a pirate's-stand with me.).
    mlr1m likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I really like my unbreakable umbrella... it is super sturdy and a high-quality umbrella. I splurged on the premium one. My wallet has yet to forgive me.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links