EDC knife - carry clipped or not? - Page 2

EDC knife - carry clipped or not?

This is a discussion on EDC knife - carry clipped or not? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Clipped. Around here the majority of guys have knives clipped to their pocket. Most of the guys that don't, carry old timers or case knives. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: EDC knife - carry clipped or not?

Clipped. Around here the majority of guys have knives clipped to their pocket. Most of the guys that don't, carry old timers or case knives. Then there is the occasional guy that doesn't carry a knife at all, but that is in the minority. I love small town USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    OK, as the new guy I'll go ahead and ask the stupid question. There's places where you're not allowed to have a clip showing on the outside of your pocket? Why?
    - There are some states with strict knife laws (NY), so a lot of people would rather not tempt fate.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

clipped on the inside of my belt two inches in front of where my holster is clipped. Both are completely covered by my shirt over my belt. I have another small Kershaw that stays deep in my pocket incase I need a knife and don't want to expose my holster while pulling out my knife.

I carry my kmife clipped.Usually it is hidden depending on what pants i am wearing.If it is not hidden i don't sweat it, lot's of people carry clip pocket knives these days around were i live and all my pocket knives are legal for the state i live in.
    The easy way is always mined.

Mostly not clipped, sometimes in a scabbard, but it tends to wear out the top of my jeans pocket and fray them pretty quick, of course i use mine a lot, it is a multi purpose knife, defensive carry, and worker...... as for my main EDC .... CANT....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Clipped... My knife is a tool I use regularly, so I want it easy to grab. On weekends I carry a fixed blade knife in a sheath in my pocket with the lanyard hanging out of my pocket so it is easy to grab.

This is what hangs out of my pocket for my EDC fixed blade:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347065725.210990.jpg

Which one?

Two clipped, one not clipped............and the others..............

clipped. I don't care who sees it.

90% of the time my little Gerber or CRKTs are unclipped, in a front pocket. I love the clip idea, but for me the clip is on the wrong end for one-handed opening. If I clip the knife to a pocket, then I have to turn it around in my hand to get the stud on the blade under my thumb. Carried in my pocket, the knife is oriented the right way for me to grab it and open it quickly, one-handed. I do clip the knives when I'm engaged in any outdoor activities or when carrying a second knife on my off-hand side.

I spoke with one of the product line guys at CRKT a couple of years ago about "why they put the clip on the wrong end." It was a deliberate decision so there was no risk that someone would thrust a hand into a pocket where the knife was already open (huh?); in other words, their design standard for folders has the point of the knife aimed downward when clipped. He offered an attachment of sorts that would reverse the clip orientation, but it adds bulk to the knife so I declined.

I must be missing something about opening a knife one-handed when it's clipped.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I always have mine clipped. Usually my shirt covers the clip, but when it doesn't, I'm not really concerned about anyone thinking much about seeing the clip. Around here seeing a pocket knife clip is about as common as seeing someone wearing shoes, so I can't see how it would be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Which one?

A folder gets clipped (~3" when at work, ~4" when off the clock), and a multi-tool and/or swiss army gets carried in pocket (or on belt pouch with phone).

Been carrying mostly spyderco since the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    90% of the time my little Gerber or CRKTs are unclipped, in a front pocket. I love the clip idea, but for me the clip is on the wrong end for one-handed opening. If I clip the knife to a pocket, then I have to turn it around in my hand to get the stud on the blade under my thumb. Carried in my pocket, the knife is oriented the right way for me to grab it and open it quickly, one-handed. I do clip the knives when I'm engaged in any outdoor activities or when carrying a second knife on my off-hand side.

I spoke with one of the product line guys at CRKT a couple of years ago about "why they put the clip on the wrong end." It was a deliberate decision so there was no risk that someone would thrust a hand into a pocket where the knife was already open (huh?); in other words, their design standard for folders has the point of the knife aimed downward when clipped. He offered an attachment of sorts that would reverse the clip orientation, but it adds bulk to the knife so I declined.

I must be missing something about opening a knife one-handed when it's clipped.
    Check out Kershaw's knives... My Blur has a reversible clip so you can orient it point up or down...

I carry mine clipped, weak side.

Something to consider: carrying a knife clipped on your weak side can be an indication you are CCW. I was taught that if a person has a knife on the same side as his watch, it's a fairly good sign he's packing heat. Makes sense, as most people use their dominant hand to put on their watch, and often a firearm is carried strong side.
    beararms likes this.

Normally I carry it clipped to my pocket in my day to day life. Usually my shirt hides it, but sometimes it's visible. Now that the kids are in school and I volunteer quite a bit there I have changed things when I go there. I don't want to run up against some "zero tolerance" policy or something, and Florida's law is a bit vague about something they call an "ordinary pocketknife". I usually will drop a Swiss Army knife in my pocket ( can't get more ordinary than that as a tool ) or use a Mantis knife that I own that doesn't look like a knife.

FreeFalling, welcome to DC. Some states consider the knife clipped in the pocket as a concealed weapon, some states say that the visible clip means it's not concealed. A lot of it is open to interpretation in some places as I understand it. Good question. It seems knife laws lag behind gun laws. I was on a knife forum and I recall someone saying he could carry a half dozen concealed handguns legally but comitted a felony(!) if he carried an assisted opening knife too. Maybe it was Texas?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I carry my EDC general use knife clipped in my left front pocket. I use it for everything and frequently at work. There is the TDI on left belt that is concealed for SD. I live in a part of the country where you can assume most guys and girls for that matter have a knife on them so the clip on my pocket isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links