Fixed vs. Folding

This is a discussion on Fixed vs. Folding within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a small (3.75") Gerber liner lock to work. It's small enough that I can justify carrying it at work (pharmacy- opening boxes, etc). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fixed vs. Folding

Fixed vs. Folding

I carry a small (3.75") Gerber liner lock to work. It's small enough that I can justify carrying it at work (pharmacy- opening boxes, etc). I just had the lock fail on me. The slightest tap on a hard surface and it folds right up. I would not trust a liner lock for my usual EDC knife. For that, I usually carry a Spyderco Endura and it's been okay. Still, it got me thinking. Other than the Endura, I have nothing to carry (outside pharmacy). I like the biggest knife I can get away with. I was thinking along the lines of a Cold Steel Recon 1 or AK-47. But still, there's no folder as strong as a fixed knife. Even if you break the handle off a fixed knife, you can wrap the tang with something and be back in business. The only benefit of folders is they are convenient and inconspicuous. I've seen some beautiful German-made, stag-handle small(ish) hunting knives (4.5-6" blade) on ebay. I'm thinking one of those should be my next investment. I have an ancient one with a broken tip my great uncle brought from Germany. Feels like "that's a knife" to me. Probably easier to pass off as a tool rather than weapon, compared to a small kabar or something "tactical" looking. Any experience EDCing one like that or suggestions for a very formidable folder?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

That sucks. The Benchmade Axis lock is supposed to be top notch. Make sure of your local carry laws, not all states include fixed blade knives in allowable weapons covered by a permit.

I sometimes carry a custom bone handle knife from a guy that makes them, got it off ebay, bigfoot knives.....very nice knife. actually have 3 of his knives, all depends on where i am going and what i am doing .... that is one thing i never leave home without, a knife of some sort, also a gun of some sort, i feel naked without the pair ....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Thanks for the replies. Jerrymac, I like your quotes! I, too, feel naked without a knife on me, and I'm increasingly feeling the same about guns. I at least have my LC9, even round the house (so I don't forget it if I pop outside for a minute, etc). I hate going places where I can't even have a swiss army knife on me. I've carried a pocket knife 24/7 since I was 12.

Just an update, last night walking the dog, I tried a Cold Steel style test with my Endura. I held it so my fingers were out of the way and banged the back of the blade against a tree. On the second try, it folded right up. Very disappointing for a high-quality lockback. I have an old Buck lockback and I can't get that to fold for anything, but it's slow to draw (not one-handed)

All comes down to price. The folders I most often carry are a Benchmade Warren Osborne 940
    Benchmade Knives: 940 Osborne - AXIS Lock - Plain Edge KnivesShipFree.com
    Or Emerson CQC8
    Emerson Knives CQC-8 with Wave - Black Blade, Plain Edge
    Both are very strong.

Made in China.
    https://discountcutlery.3dcartstores...p?itemid=32396
    Depending on your price point, you cannot go wrong with one in this series:
    http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=27

VIP Member
    Can't legally carry a fixed blade in NC and a folder has to have a handle under a 4 inches. Be careful of laws..I carry a case penknife
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member
    If you're using the "cold steel" test to judge lock strength, why not just pick up an appropriately sized cold steel folder?
    I've got several and they're good value, utilitarian knives that simply work. Sure there are higher quality knives, but balance the purpose against the expense and see what you come up with.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Singh View Post
    Just an update, last night walking the dog, I tried a Cold Steel style test with my Endura. I held it so my fingers were out of the way and banged the back of the blade against a tree. On the second try, it folded right up.
    I don't carry liner locks or frame locks for anything but very light duty work (I've had both fold on me during normal use), but I've been carrying lock back spydercos off and on for over 25 years without any issues. Admittedly I only use them in the role of pocket knife.

If you're looking for a dedicated fighting knife or a bushcrafting knife, then I agree that you would be best served with a full tang fixed blade, or a cold steel with the triad lock. Seems to be the strongest locking system going right now (but it's still not a fixed blade).

sgb
    Not all liner locks are created equal, my Emerson CQC 11 has never failed. The Zero Tolerance knives also use a liner lock and have a excellent reputation. If you're absolutely dead set against a liner lock look to the Benchmade Axis lock or the Spyderco's back-locks.

For a fixed blade look at the ESEE 3.

ESEE-3.jpg

or the Tops MIL-SPIE 3

mil03.jpg
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The second link in my previous post is
    to the ESEE page on knivesshipfee.
    Awesome knives. In my opinion it would be better to save up to purchase a USA made tool with an outstanding warranty than to buy a Chinese made pos.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

:thumbup:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Ultimately it depends on what you want it to do. For a value-priced fixed-blade knife you can't beat the Mora series. It is not full tang but is strong enough for most uses and I would not have any qualms about using it in a defensive situation. I know of people who, after having replaced the cheap-but-functional plastic sheath with a home-built leather one, found themselves completely satisfied. I wouldn't recommend it for heavy-duty or going to war, but the blade is excellent! If I felt the need for something "right now" and price were an issue, I would get one and then save for the high-priced one I really want.

As always, be sure to check your state, county, and municipal laws before you spend a lot of money on something you can't legally carry.

Check my recent thread on the TDI knife. I carried a Spyderco Endura for 10+ years and it's a good knife. This summer however I began carrying a small TDI on a belt clip. It has proven to be very handy and very convenient. the blade length is only something like a couple inches but it is reasonably stout and rugged and the handle is unobtrusive but usable. The handle and blade are at a wierd angle that makes it a little funky and requires a little getting used to.

The knife is marketed as a specific self defense/weapon retention knife and when you read reviews people say it is not good for an EDC or general utilitarian knife due to the blade angle. I am not a knife snob though and I have found that it is in fact quite handy and usefull for regular things and makes a perfectly good EDC knife.

Now in regards to the folder vs fixed, this is the first time I've carried a fixed after carrying a folder for over a decade. I find that I really like it and like having it on my belt as opposed to taking up pocket space. I also like to be completely discrete with my carry gun/knife and the TDI on my belt with an untucked shirt is actually MORE concealed and discrete than the folder in my pocket ever was. I have now been carrying the large TDI for the past couple weeks which is quite a bit bigger and bulkier than the small and still noone has seemed to have noticed it while I usually was having someone ask my about the Spyderco in my pocket while I was carrying it.

So I would encourage you to try carrying a small fixed for awhile and see what you think. You may find you like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links