Defensive Carry banner

stun gun

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  NUCGUY 
#1 ·
I have a stun gun that has been sitting around the house. I was thinking of carrying it when I walk my dogs or let my wife carry it in her purse.
My question is: is a stun gun in a purse or pocket considered a concealed weapon?

#3 ·
It is illegal in my state; so check with yours to be sure.

Also remember, as you're contemplating having your wife carry it in her purse, a stun gun requires contact, which will put her in close proximity of her attacker.

You might want to consider something like pepper spray, that can be used while the prepretrator is still a distance away.

Just my $.02, though...

Wes.

#4 ·
My question is: is a stun gun in a purse or pocket considered a concealed weapon?
Well, first it'd have to be a weapon before hiding it would make it a concealed weapon. Sarcasm aside, about the only thing stunguns are good for are startling the begeezus out of people and tormenting the cat.

As Wes mentioned, OC would be a better alternative both due to the range issue, and the effectiveness of the OC vs. that of the stun-gun.

#5 ·
Hmmm, I've read where OC fails, is ineffective often, has shorter range, and even get in the "shooter's" eyes if the wind blows in the wrong direction or splatter occurs.

LEO seem to far prefer the Taser over OC.

#9 ·
OC is definately not the answer to every problem, they say it only works on something like 6 out of every 7 people. Furthermore, as you said, there's a good chance that if you use it, it's going to blow back in your face creating more of a problem.

I personally don't classify OC as a SD weapon. In fact most LE force-continuums classify it as a control device. I feel that people would be much better served by an impact weapon or an improvised weapon such as a flashlight or cane.

Tazers are definately more effective than stun-guns, but again, they're a control device, not a weapon. When LE uses them, they're obviously also armed with a firearm. In serious encounters, there will usually be another officer standing by with a firearm ready to shoot if the tazer doesn't work. Most of us don't have the luxury of backup when the "stuff" hits the fan.

gregarat said:
Stun guns supposedly use electrodes to, when pressed against an attacker's clothing or flesh, send high voltages (50,000 to 300,000 volts at a tiny fraction of an amp) of electricity streaming through the assailant's body, instantly disabling them by overwhelming the assailant's nervous system.

What if you have a "stungun" that produces 600,000 or 900,000 volts? Would that make a difference?
Do they make them that "hot?" That might be a little more effective but I'm still not sold on the viabilty of such a device. I've been "zapped" with a 250,000 volt model (just to see what it did) and was not impressed. Yeah, it smarted a little but it didn't incapacitate me at all.

#6 ·
Oklahoma

Also please look at this informational thread that I just posted here on CombatCarry Click Here.

I just looked quickly but, I do not see anything that specifically states that a Stun Gun or OC Spray is considered to be an offensive or prohibited weapon in the State of Oklahoma.

As to if OC Spray or a Stun Gun would be considered to be... "or any other offensive weapon"
- On that you will need to call your State Police Headquarters and ask the same question that you asked here -
IMPORTANT: Be certain to record the name of the officer that you spoke with and the date and the exact time that you placed the phone call.

See as follows:

UNLAWFUL CARRY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency; or

4. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

BTW: Here Is A Link To OSCN Oklahoma State Courts Network. Bookmark the site it may prove to be useful in the future. CLICK HERE

#8 ·
Stun guns supposedly use electrodes to, when pressed against an attacker's clothing or flesh, send high voltages (50,000 to 300,000 volts at a tiny fraction of an amp) of electricity streaming through the assailant's body, instantly disabling them by overwhelming the assailant's nervous system.
What if you have a "stungun" that produces 600,000 or 900,000 volts? Would that make a difference?

#10 ·
I'm not sure about OK, but in VA I think Stun Guns are a no-go. I wouldn't trust my life to one anyway. Personally, You'd be better off with a hammer, unless you've got one of the newer, 750,000+ models. I have personally been hit with a StunMaster 100,000volt model and the stunmaster 300,000 volt model and wasn't impressed at all. Yes it hurt, but there was no incapacitation whatsoever. I still had the clear ability to function and continue an attack. -Just my thoughts.

#11 ·
You might want to check to see if a stun gun would be considered a prohibited offensive weapon. Besides that a standard contact stun gun doe shave its limitations but so does OC. The bottom line is that you should not carry it if you are not fully aware of how each item affects an individual.
FYI approx 5% of the population are not affected by OC but the other 95% cry like little babies if they do not know how to fight through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.