Tactical pens

This is a discussion on Tactical pens within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Richard58 And never bring either one to a gun fight for sure. If you do, you better close in very quickly....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tactical pens

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    And never bring either one to a gun fight for sure.
    If you do, you better close in very quickly.

2. Remove Ads

AOK
    Other areas to look into beyond tac pens and flashlights are objects such as a cane/walking stick or an unbreakable umbrella. Many times those who don't need a cane have flown numerous times and never got questioned (for legal reasons). If there is just a slight chance of rain from where you are at or where you are going you won't likely be bothered with an umbrella.

A couple major benefits a cane has over pens and lights include: reach to keep the attackers at a distance and you do not have to deploy the improvised weapon because it's already in your hand.

There are also a lot of weapons of opportunity out there. It's just important to identify what can be wielded as a legitimate weapon and which ones are more unrealistic you may see or read somewhere. For example you will read people talking about making a fist and having their keys stick out between their fingers. Heck, your average Joe doesn't even know how to throw a good punch to avoid breaking something. You'll also read things such as using their belt. That's great of you have plenty enough time. BUT realistically how quickly can you take you belt off and get it into the fight? I'm not saying it's a bad concept but is it realistic?

[QUOTE=AOK;2402426]Other areas to look into beyond tac pens and flashlights are objects such as a cane/walking stick or an unbreakable umbrella.

Okay, I gotta admit, I was a bit skeptical about an umbrella, then I found this site: Real Self-Defense | The Unbreakable® Walking-Stick Umbrella
    I'll be damned. Watch this guy split the watermelon then wail away on the punching bag. The ability to turn it around and use the J handle portion is actually what made me think it's not too bad.

AOK
    [QUOTE=pscipio03;2402573]
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Other areas to look into beyond tac pens and flashlights are objects such as a cane/walking stick or an unbreakable umbrella.

Okay, I gotta admit, I was a bit skeptical about an umbrella, then I found this site: Real Self-Defense | The Unbreakable® Walking-Stick Umbrella
    I'll be damned. Watch this guy split the watermelon then wail away on the punching bag. The ability to turn it around and use the J handle portion is actually what made me think it's not too bad.
    You got it! Those are the exact ones I'm referring to.

I have concealed carried for years and I have always been amazed at the guy with a gun, no mag or anything else, or the guys who train to shoot and that is it. You will more than likely get into a physical altercation before you get a chance to get your gun out. You may not be in a position where legally you can shoot them but you can use an impact tool to break contact. HAVE OPTIONS, BE FLEXIBLE, TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. And that does not translate into shoot shoot shoot. One thing I hate is how people think the fight stops after a few rounds have hit a target. Sometimes that is just the beginning. *Rant off*

A tactical pen is a good less than lethal option as is a flashlight or a knife (but will draw less attention in certain settings). If used properly as a pain compliance tool they can be very effective. I find there is nothing wrong with having one availible over a Bic pen. Just a tip the more ordinary the better. Chances are you will lose your pen in a fight anyways as you will your knife. I dont do strider knives nor do I do annodized titanium Hinderer pens cause they are as good as gone when you really need to use it to protect yourself or at least use it to break contact to get to your gun or other devices at your disposal.
    AOK likes this.

A lot of food info. I am carrying a Maxim tactical pen I think I got for $12.00 off amazon. Less than lethal options are really underutilized IMO by the average person walking about.

They can allow you time to get away from a situation, buy time to seek cover etc. They can be used more places, and its a lot easier to explain why you wacked some fellow with a stick, poked them with a pen or said Hello with a face full of OC Spray. vs stabbed with a knife.

Sadly knives are very often considered tools of thugs and criminals, another thing to keep in mind.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links