Tactical pens

Tactical pens

This is a discussion on Tactical pens within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tactical pens

  1. #1
    Member Array Hedgelj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    66

    Tactical pens

    I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to workplace, on an airplane, etc. I was looking into the tactical pens that can double as a pointy weapon that could cause damage if used appropriately.

    Thoughts?
    Your favorites?
    Ones to stay away from?


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,528
    I got one from a friend that I go shooting with. It just writes really well. Not sure on the proper way to use it for defense.

  3. #3
    Member Array FreeFalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    109
    I think a few self defense classes will help you a lot more than a pen that says, "tactical" on the side. If things really go that bad and you know what you're doing, a well made metal pen will work just as well ... and TSA won't fine you or confiscate it.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,492
    The first time I saw one, I honestly laughed a little to myself. But then I also thought how much it might hurt to get stabbed by one of those.

    +1 on the self defense classes. If a situation comes to you needing to use a pen for self defense, that pen's not gonna be any good if YOU aren't any good in close quarter hand to hand combat.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  5. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    I have actually gotten to stab a deer carcass with a tactical pen. We had Rick Hinderer (the custom knife maker) in my knife class and he let us use his pens in class to give them some "real world" testing and see what we thought of them.

    I bought one that day.

    Granted, a sturdy metal pen and even a plastic pen will do the job, but a good "tactical" pen (IMO) should will have ridges for a better grip and a nice pointy tip so that it can stab a little better.

    I now have 3 Hinderer tactical pens. One of the big ones and two of the little ones (investigators). I have gone through security at airports with them several times and while tactical pens are starting to be frowned upon in TSA, as long as they do not have any weaponized attachments and do write like a pen, they are usually admitted. You just don't stand there and say, "Hey! I've got a tactical pen!"

    I put it in my laptop bag next to the other pens and call it a day. I haven't even had a TSA agent look closely at it.

    Yeah, I think knowing out to use it is a big plus. At the knife class we were taught knives but also substituted things like pens and tactical flash lights to show how what we were learning with the knife could translate to other defensive tools. It was a lot of fun and, yes, a pen will do a LOT of damage if wielded correctly.

    PS.. I carry a tactical pen in my hand when I'm going shopping, etc. Not only can I use it for lists, etc, but a weapon in the hand is worth two in the holster.

    As far as ones to stay away from? Stay away from anything that SAYS "tactical" on the side of it or ones with gun names on them (S&W, per say). They are very recognizable as tac pens to security. Also (and this should go without saying, but...) stay away from the pens that are meant to look like a pen but do not write (they just have a pointed tip but no ink cartridge).. those are expressly forbidden on planes.

  6. #6
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,238
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have actually gotten to stab a deer carcass with a tactical pen. We had Rick Hinderer (the custom knife maker) in my knife class and he let us use his pens in class to give them some "real world" testing and see what we thought of them.

    I bought one that day.

    Granted, a sturdy metal pen and even a plastic pen will do the job, but a good "tactical" pen (IMO) should will have ridges for a better grip and a nice pointy tip so that it can stab a little better.

    I now have 3 Hinderer tactical pens. One of the big ones and two of the little ones (investigators). I have gone through security at airports with them several times and while tactical pens are starting to be frowned upon in TSA, as long as they do not have any weaponized attachments and do write like a pen, they are usually admitted. You just don't stand there and say, "Hey! I've got a tactical pen!"

    I put it in my laptop bag next to the other pens and call it a day. I haven't even had a TSA agent look closely at it.

    Yeah, I think knowing out to use it is a big plus. At the knife class we were taught knives but also substituted things like pens and tactical flash lights to show how what we were learning with the knife could translate to other defensive tools. It was a lot of fun and, yes, a pen will do a LOT of damage if wielded correctly.

    Here's some pics of the pens.

    Investigator


    Extreme Duty Pen





    Scale Reference






    I hope Rick makes an Investigator that is the regular length of a standard pen.

  7. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,490
    Is the investigator a clicky top pen or does it have a detachable top?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  8. #8
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,238
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Is the investigator a clicky top pen or does it have a detachable top?
    Detachable via threads.

  9. #9
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,490
    Thanks couldn't tell from the picture, do one of you have a link that you could post?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  10. #10
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,238
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Thanks couldn't tell from the picture, do one of you have a link that you could post?
    Rick Hinderer Knives

  11. #11
    Ex Member Array ArmyMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgelj View Post
    I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to workplace, on an airplane, etc.
    A fist.




    No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.
    pittypat21 likes this.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    A fist.
    Just one? I carry two.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  13. #13
    Member Array BR101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    177
    I got my UZI tactical pen as a gift. I haven't seen other tactical pens in person but this UZI is really pointy on both ends.
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

  14. #14
    Member Array rick21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    139
    Technique is more important than type or make of pen. I should be well made and large enough to get a firm grip. There are plenty of video's on youtube for PALM STICK. The majority of palm stick techniques will work for tactical pen. Like anything else, practice is necessary.
    Poseidon likes this.

  15. #15
    Member Array Ionracas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    459
    I have a monkeyball, a weighted ball bearing wrapped in 550 para chord. Its more for asthetics though and for quick access to my keys. I think it would anger a BG more than hurt them. My pen light is made from aluminum and is pretty solid, it would be good as a light weight kubaton... or whatever thoes things are called.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best self defense pen
,

best tactical pen

,
best tactical pen self-defense
,
best tactical pens
,

kley zion pen

,

kley zion tactical defense pen

,
kley zion tactical pen
,
tactical clicky pen
,
tactical pen airport security
,
tactical pen reviews
,
tactical pen techniques
,
tactical pen tsa
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors