Tactical pens

Tactical pens

This is a discussion on Tactical pens within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tactical pens

Tactical pens

I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to workplace, on an airplane, etc. I was looking into the tactical pens that can double as a pointy weapon that could cause damage if used appropriately.

Thoughts?
    Your favorites?
    Ones to stay away from?

VIP Member
    I got one from a friend that I go shooting with. It just writes really well. Not sure on the proper way to use it for defense.

I think a few self defense classes will help you a lot more than a pen that says, "tactical" on the side. If things really go that bad and you know what you're doing, a well made metal pen will work just as well ... and TSA won't fine you or confiscate it.

The first time I saw one, I honestly laughed a little to myself. But then I also thought how much it might hurt to get stabbed by one of those.

+1 on the self defense classes. If a situation comes to you needing to use a pen for self defense, that pen's not gonna be any good if YOU aren't any good in close quarter hand to hand combat.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Moderator
    I have actually gotten to stab a deer carcass with a tactical pen. We had Rick Hinderer (the custom knife maker) in my knife class and he let us use his pens in class to give them some "real world" testing and see what we thought of them.

I bought one that day.

Granted, a sturdy metal pen and even a plastic pen will do the job, but a good "tactical" pen (IMO) should will have ridges for a better grip and a nice pointy tip so that it can stab a little better.

I now have 3 Hinderer tactical pens. One of the big ones and two of the little ones (investigators). I have gone through security at airports with them several times and while tactical pens are starting to be frowned upon in TSA, as long as they do not have any weaponized attachments and do write like a pen, they are usually admitted. You just don't stand there and say, "Hey! I've got a tactical pen!"

I put it in my laptop bag next to the other pens and call it a day. I haven't even had a TSA agent look closely at it.

Yeah, I think knowing out to use it is a big plus. At the knife class we were taught knives but also substituted things like pens and tactical flash lights to show how what we were learning with the knife could translate to other defensive tools. It was a lot of fun and, yes, a pen will do a LOT of damage if wielded correctly.

PS.. I carry a tactical pen in my hand when I'm going shopping, etc. Not only can I use it for lists, etc, but a weapon in the hand is worth two in the holster.

As far as ones to stay away from? Stay away from anything that SAYS "tactical" on the side of it or ones with gun names on them (S&W, per say). They are very recognizable as tac pens to security. Also (and this should go without saying, but...) stay away from the pens that are meant to look like a pen but do not write (they just have a pointed tip but no ink cartridge).. those are expressly forbidden on planes.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have actually gotten to stab a deer carcass with a tactical pen. We had Rick Hinderer (the custom knife maker) in my knife class and he let us use his pens in class to give them some "real world" testing and see what we thought of them.

I bought one that day.

Granted, a sturdy metal pen and even a plastic pen will do the job, but a good "tactical" pen (IMO) should will have ridges for a better grip and a nice pointy tip so that it can stab a little better.

I now have 3 Hinderer tactical pens. One of the big ones and two of the little ones (investigators). I have gone through security at airports with them several times and while tactical pens are starting to be frowned upon in TSA, as long as they do not have any weaponized attachments and do write like a pen, they are usually admitted. You just don't stand there and say, "Hey! I've got a tactical pen!"

I put it in my laptop bag next to the other pens and call it a day. I haven't even had a TSA agent look closely at it.

Yeah, I think knowing out to use it is a big plus. At the knife class we were taught knives but also substituted things like pens and tactical flash lights to show how what we were learning with the knife could translate to other defensive tools. It was a lot of fun and, yes, a pen will do a LOT of damage if wielded correctly.

Here's some pics of the pens.

Investigator

Extreme Duty Pen

Scale Reference

I hope Rick makes an Investigator that is the regular length of a standard pen.

Senior Moderator
    Is the investigator a clicky top pen or does it have a detachable top?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Is the investigator a clicky top pen or does it have a detachable top?
    Detachable via threads.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks couldn't tell from the picture, do one of you have a link that you could post?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Thanks couldn't tell from the picture, do one of you have a link that you could post?
    Rick Hinderer Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgelj View Post
    I was wondering what others used to carry when they are not able to carry 'obvious' weapons such as their handgun/OC spray/knives etc due to workplace, on an airplane, etc.
    A fist.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    A fist.
    Just one? I carry two.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I got my UZI tactical pen as a gift. I haven't seen other tactical pens in person but this UZI is really pointy on both ends.
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

Technique is more important than type or make of pen. I should be well made and large enough to get a firm grip. There are plenty of video's on youtube for PALM STICK. The majority of palm stick techniques will work for tactical pen. Like anything else, practice is necessary.
    Poseidon likes this.

I have a monkeyball, a weighted ball bearing wrapped in 550 para chord. Its more for asthetics though and for quick access to my keys. I think it would anger a BG more than hurt them. My pen light is made from aluminum and is pretty solid, it would be good as a light weight kubaton... or whatever thoes things are called.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links